Should they re-make Fallout anf Fallout 2 as a 1st or 3rd pe

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:49 am

So what do you think?
Steve Fallon

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:45 am

You want them to remake an RPG as a shooter ? Didn't they try this crap before with BOS ?
Ana Torrecilla Cabeza

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:06 am

There's an almost similar topic going on right here :

http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=941018

:)

Though yours ask if Beth should do it while the other asks if it's possible. Hmm, I'll let the mods judge. :P
Kayla Oatney

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:15 am

it would be awesome if they did this
Gavin Roberts

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:18 pm

Pfft no it wouldnt be cool.
SaVino GοΜ

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:57 pm

I guess I don't really see the point. It seems like a lot of work. You could obviously use a lot of resources from Fallout 3, but it would still be a lot of work. Because you're not just talking about making all of the location from the game in 3D, and modeling any weapons that don't make an appearance in F3. You also have all the characters to do (even if you try to save time by copy/pasting the talking heads of important NPCs for dialogue sessions, you still have to model that important character and make them look the same - or even if you don't try to make every character look exactly like they did in the original it's still that many unique characters to do.)

Plus there's any number of balancing issues you'd run into with making such a switch to the gameplay. You couldn't just keep all the hostile random encounters the same, you'd have to rebalance every encounter to keep the same level of challenge. (A room full of a dozen Supermutants firing rockets at you is do-able in turn-based if you're really careful - it'd be a different matter trying to dodge all that fire in real-time.) Plus working out the damage values for all the weapons and just generally balancing everything so it has the right level of challenge.

Basically, you'd be making a whole new game from the ground up. The only things you could really keep untouched, I would think, would be things like dialogue systems, skill challenges (like fixing a broken terminal, etc,) and the basic structure of the game.

I just think that if anyone actually was going to go through all of that trouble, you might as well just make a new story set in the Fallout universe. If you're changing everything else, why not go all the way?

Now, I might be a bit biased on this point. I wouldn't buy a real-time version of Fallout 1. One of the things I really liked in that game was, well, the game. I wouldn't throw a hissy fit if someone actually decided to take on this monumental project, but it's not something I think I could get behind. It wouldn't be an improvement, in my mind. It might be nice to see Fallout 1 with updated graphics in glorious 3D, but for me it wouldn't be worth it if they went real-time with it. The only reason I got behind Fallout 3 was because it was a whole new game. A reboot, essentially.

Given the option, I'd still have way more fun playing the older Fallout, because that's simply the sort of game I like. There are certainly a lot of people who were turned off by the turn-based combat in F1, and surely they'll feel differently about this topic.
Emilie M

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:36 am

So what do you think?

What do I think? I think that if you create a remake of a game it should at least be in the same genre as the original was. No I don't want a 3D remake of Fallout 1 or 2, but I especially don't want them to make those games into a mindless shooter. There's nothing in those two games that even remotely feel like shooter gameplay and it should stay that way.
Jimmie Allen

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:19 am

NO NO NO NO NO!

It just wouldn't work. Fallout 1 and 2 are RPGs. Get it through your head. They were meant to be RPGs, and they were RPGs, and everybody loves them for what they are - RPGs. I cannot believe somebody has the tenacity to consider BASTARDIZING such a wonderful series into an FPS series.

Don't take me the wrong way. I am a diehard FPS fan. But everything has its own place in the game world, and Fallout 1 and 2 belong as RPGs. Is there a reason you want to remake them? So all the console idiots and action gamers Fallout 3 catered to can play Fallout 1 and 2 in a "new" way that appeals to "their" interests?

No. Let them experience the games the way they were.

Now, remaking certain THINGS from Fallout such as the Mariposa Military Base would be quite neat. But remaking the entire game is just too much trouble.
Erika Ellsworth

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:10 am

What do I think? I think that if you create a remake of a game it should at least be in the same genre as the original was. No I don't want a 3D remake of Fallout 1 or 2, but I especially don't want them to make those games into a mindless shooter. There's nothing in those two games that even remotely feel like shooter gameplay and it should stay that way.

shooters arnt mindless you have to pick youre battles and their no more mindless than any other game style
Judy Lynch

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:13 pm

shooters arnt mindless you have to pick youre battles and their no more mindless than any other game style

I was saying I don't want Fallout 1 or 2 to be made into a shooter, period. Especially a mindless one.
aisha jamil

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:50 am

So what do you think?

No.
Aaron Clark

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:47 am

So what do you think?

I voted No. Surprised?

Totally different reasons than a lot of folk who are freaking out about this. I think it's a great idea to explore different gaming ideas, such as porting classic games into new engines and whatnot. Although, I do understand where the "freak out" factor might be coming from (X-Com Enforcer anyone?)

I voted No because I think FO1/FO2 would make bad shooters. Consider that one of the hallmarks of the Fallout franchise is being able to solve problems in multiple ways, including methods which don't involve any combat at all! Kinda puts a bummer on the whole shooter thing.

Also, shooters are, generally speaking, linear gameplay and narrative. You accomplish missions and goals in a very oredered fashion - take that hill, clear that bunker, etc. Pretty much the exact opposite of the fundamentals of Fallout design.

A big component in "shooter" gameplay is multi-player. Kinda at odds with the whole lonely, barren wasteland thing.

Finally shooters have a certain design slant - an us (or usually - the individual player) vs. them sort of thing. While the first two Fallout games did have "enemy" factions, ones that were clearly the prime antagonist of the game - a lot of the stuff you did in those games had nothing to do with those factions. In shooters, it's hard to get worked up over Side Quests when you end up battling with critters that aren't even a part of the main "bad guys".

I have difficulty imagining what the story arc for a FO1 or FO2 shooter would look like. The best I can come up with is really badly forced "chapters" with increasing enemy difficulties (rats -> raiders -> super-mutants -> deathclaws) that kinda borks all story telling, because it'd be difficult to tie the chapters together meaningfully.

So basically, not only are shooters poorly suited to Fallout design - but the stories in FO1/FO2 are poorly suited to shooter games.
Marilú

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:06 am

I voted no because it's old news. I'd rather see a new game.

If the question is could a better implementation of FO1-2 mechanics be done in a FP game, then yes, I'd like to see that.
Caroline flitcroft

Return to Fallout Series Discussion