Can Ghouls regenerate limbs?

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:05 pm

I'm curious, is there any confirmation that Ghouls can regenerate body parts, like certain reptiles can? In Fallout 3, it says that Ghouls aren't harmed by radiation, but healed by it. And you can get a perk that allows you to "regenerate" limbs if you have a high rad count. I dont mean can they actually do it in the game, but if, in Fallout lore, they can.
Bedford White

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:54 pm

No, they don't grow back. If it's severed it's gone. If it's just badly damaged then it can heal.
Tyrone Haywood

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:08 am

As I recall, it's mentioned in a dialogue that ghoul limbs can be easily reattached, basicly by just binding it back to where it fell off from with something like a bandage and then it'll just sort of knit back together. Although I'm not sure if that should be taken seriously, or it was just a joke.

But no, no limb regen.
Lyndsey Bird

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:05 pm

But is it safe to assume they can regenerate skin? Or even whole muscles if they weren't vital?

I just need to know what I can and can't do for a mod I'm planning.
:)Colleenn

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:25 am

But is it safe to assume they can regenerate skin?

Err, have you ever seen a ghoul before?
Louise

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:47 am

I don't think they really regenerate... Just seem to keep on living after they should be dead.
Ana Torrecilla Cabeza

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:07 am

I don't think they really regenerate... Just seem to keep on living after they should be dead.

Agreed. I wouldn't say ghouls have the ability to regenerate, simply heal. If they loose something it's lost, but if it's merely damaged they may be able to 'repair' it.
Syaza Ramali

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:08 pm

Argh... well, is it too much of a stretch of the imagination to think somewhere along the way, a particular human mutated into a ghoul, and gained the ability to regenerate limbs?

:bigsmile:
Hot

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:25 pm

Argh... well, is it too much of a stretch of the imagination to think somewhere along the way, a particular human mutated into a ghoul, and gained the ability to regenerate limbs?

:bigsmile:

Considering it takes a bit of a stretch of the imagination to imagine a person exposed to radiation becoming a ghoul in the first place.... I'd say its not too much of a strech.
Emmi Coolahan

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:39 am

If you want to make a mod story that has a creature that does this, go for it. He could certainly be a special ghoul, maybe a starfish fell in his FEV vat and he absorbed the power to regrow missing limbs. :D
Eliza Potter

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:27 pm

If you want to make a mod story that has a creature that does this, go for it. He could certainly be a special ghoul, maybe a starfish fell in his FEV vat and he absorbed the power to regrow missing limbs. :D

Ghouls are irradiated people, not super mutants. FEV makes super mutants, floaters and centaurs, not ghouls.
Emma Louise Adams

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:29 am

Ghouls are irradiated people, not super mutants. FEV makes super mutants, floaters and centaurs, not ghouls.

Yeah I know. I was just joking...
Nicole Mark

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:03 pm

Some of the Devs refered to Harold as a "special type of ghoul" - Although other devs say that he's not (and I think most people consider him not to be)
Dragonz Dancer

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:29 pm

Well it's not clear whether it was radiation or FEV that mutated Harold. It's not far fetched to assume that the FEV vat chamber that Harold passed out in was also irradiated; in fact that's more likely since I don't see how the FEV could have affected him since he didn't fall into it like Richard Grey did. The FEV in Mariposa was a liquid; I doubt that the FEV evaporated thus becoming airborne since it was still there decades after the war.
Skivs

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:04 am

Well it's not clear whether it was radiation or FEV that mutated Harold. It's not far fetched to assume that the FEV vat chamber that Harold passed out in was also irradiated; in fact that's more likely since I don't see how the FEV could have affected him since he didn't fall into it like Richard Grey did. The FEV in Mariposa was a liquid; I doubt that the FEV evaporated thus becoming airborne since it was still there decades after the war.

It was the FEV... He only became the harold we know after a visit to Mariposa.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Harold

To the untrained eye, Harold appears to be an ordinary ghoul. This is not so, however. Ghouls are the result of massive radiation damage to a human body: Harold is a product of the Forced Evolutionary Virus. Unlike most people who are exposed to FEV, he did not become a super mutant, but is the result of a unique combination of radiation damage from constant low-level exposure, indirect exposure to FEV (It is unclear how Harold was infected with FEV as he blacked out for a while) and a fair amount of random chance. He's not a ghoul, and he's certainly not a super mutant. To quote Tim Cain, "Harold is special."
Furthermore, Tim Cain has this to say on the subject: "As for contact [with FEV], any contact at all will infect the subject, but the amount of contact determines the result. For example, I imagine Harold had some contact with the virus, but he was not fully immersed in it, so he became a different mutant than the Master's subjects. Full immersion, of course, is the preferred method of infection, as it provides the virus a large surface area for infection."

I'm just saying some developers once refered to him as a Ghoul, and he does use their sprite.
Claire Vaux

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:48 pm

It was the FEV... He only became the harold we know after a visit to Mariposa.

Like I said though he didn't fall into any vats, he just collapsed. He was more likely exposed to radiation than FEV.
Kate Schofield

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:39 am

Like I said though he didn't fall into any vats, he just collapsed. He was more likely exposed to radiation than FEV.

There are no high radiation areas near mariposa. Given that the Ghouls we know are created with exposure to an extremely high radation source (ie - a nuke), I think this can be very easily ruled out.... Not to mention developer comments.
Amelia Pritchard

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:57 am

Well thanks for the info guys, this can be locked now.
Dalia

Return to Fallout Series Discussion