Do you think China "survived" the nuclear holocaust?

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:32 am

I was thought it would be interesting to see how the other half lives in Fallout 3, if they even are alive. I think it's pretty safe to assume that China got a fair deal of bombs dropped on them as well as America. So, do you think that China is now a Wasteland like America? With Ghouls, scrap settlements and the like? I think it's a very likely situation, though for whatever reason they could all be dead. What do you think? If you think they are history, then why? Did America have more nukes than China and manage kill everything? Did China's (assumed) lack of Vaults cause their extinction? Or is the Enclave the only reason that America itself barely survived? Discuss.

I mainly ask this because a Fallout 3 mod I am making is going to have a human (non-ghoul) come over to the Capitol Wasteland from post-apocalyptic China (by boat). He (among with many others he shared shelter with back at home) is the descendant of a pre-war Chinese soldier, who managed to keep their family tree active by taking shelter in military bunkers. I'm going to do it anyway, but I was just wondering what you thought. You never know what others think.
Richard Thompson

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:18 am

It is my personal belief that there are other survivors around the world, even if they did not have the equivalents of vaults. Not all humans in the former U.S. are vault dwellers or descendants of vault dwellers. Some survived by pure grit, savvy or blind luck. I would suppose that the same goes for the rest of the world, including China.

In Fallout 2, the Shi Empire was founded by the survivors of a Chinese nuclear attack submarine stranded at San Francisco after the war. Moriarity is described as having come from Ireland to the Capital Wasteland as a boy. So I see no reason why you could not include Chinese settlers in the Wasteland.

Cheers.
glot

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:04 pm

In all likelyhood, China (and the rest of the world) is as bad-off as the former USA... maybe without a super-mutant problem, but still bad.
Chloe Mayo

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:06 am

China survived, but like Marss said. It's just as bad as the rest of the US and the world. Most of China is on the coast anyway, and those living in Western China and near Mongolia would probably have had less impact. But the Coast of China would for sure be a heavily radiated wasteland.
Nancy RIP

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:34 pm

I'd expect China is worse off. President Richardson mentions that the Chinese were the first to launch their ICBMs at America shortly after Alaska was liberated, so in turn the Americans must have send theirs out shortly after the warning, plus due to the Chinese instigating the attack, anyone in alliance with America (UK, etc) would have fired their nuclear weapons too and probably hit them back twice as hard. The Fallout timeline mentions that every capable nation joined in the 'Great War'.
Petr Jordy Zugar

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:06 am

China probably got nuked harder, but it's huge and much of the area is not civilized.. so those areas probably escaped being blasted and just had to deal with radiation, fallout and climate change.
A Boy called Marilyn

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:53 am

The PRC is a radioactive crater right now!
Melanie Steinberg

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:49 pm

I'd expect China is worse off. President Richardson mentions that the Chinese were the first to launch their ICBMs at America shortly after Alaska was liberated, so in turn the Americans must have send theirs out shortly after the warning, plus due to the Chinese instigating the attack, anyone in alliance with America (UK, etc) would have fired their nuclear weapons too and probably hit them back twice as hard. The Fallout timeline mentions that every capable nation joined in the 'Great War'.

Well it hasn't really been determined who fired first. President Richard said some things, that could be taken as either truth or just propaganda? So it could have been a unknown simultaneous attack, either side not knowing the other was firing when they were, until the alarms went off. So China could have been hit just as hard, assuming that Russia was an Ally of China (which isn't really known either.)

But like I said, most of mainland china is empty space, and most of their metropolitan areas are along the Yellow Sea, and South China Sea.
Melanie

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:10 am

It's good that it's not really determined. Allows for all sorts of scenarios. I'd love love love to see a Fallout game set there. Perhaps you are the descendant of a small invasion force from before the bombs dropped. But you are one of the last, and there isn't enough DNA to keep reproducing so it's decided that someone (or maybe several - you could start with a party instead of find them later) has to go out and determine the fate of mankind.
Kay O'Hara

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:27 am

There is a lot of loop holes and missing information on places that could take place in a game or so. And China included is one of those missing information loop holes.
Bek Rideout

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:34 am

I voted that it's probably about the same as it is in America (though truth be told, we don't really even know exactly how all of this continent has fared - only really the places that the games have taken place in, so far...)

IMHO, it's really less about the quanitity of nukes that were dropped and more about the nuclear fallout and resulting affect that had on the global environment. (The series is called Fallout, after all...) Even if a place went through the war relatively in one piece, it's still going to be dealing with the same global effects regardless.
Kat Ives

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:27 am

As per the USSR, they would not have been allied with the PRC. Also, only one city in Mainland China would have survived(and this is only speculation), and that would have been the British Colony of Hong Kong.
Alycia Leann grace

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:38 am

What about the city of Xining? That is on mainland China. Not much is really there factory wise from what I've been told. (My friend visited China for a teacher thing?)
Kelly John

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:21 am

What about the city of Xining? That is on mainland China. Not much is really there factory wise from what I've been told. (My friend visited China for a teacher thing?)

When the war goes nuclear it doesnt matter about tactical targets anymore. Its about complete and utter destruction of the other side.

Despite next to no industry it has a large population of people, and that is where nuclear warheads are aimed.
Matt Bee

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:11 am

China is VAST... and its pretty much only the coastline that has alot of major settlements. But even so I am pretty sure that china got hit hard. However unless you carpet bombed chinan with nukes there would still be quite a few place that had no strategic importance and where there is only goat and horse breeders. The radiation would get some of them, but not all.
lillian luna

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:20 am

My assumption is that China's situation is similar to America. they got bombed, lots of people died, and everything was turned into a nuclear wasteland. But, like America, I'd imagine that there are still people living there, and their lives are probably not much better than America. After all, who has a bigger stick or more sticks doesn't matter much when you get into mutually assured destruction territory.
Sheeva

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Hmm i think china is just as bad as america but personally i think china's better, cos they would of decided to go suicidel and drop as many bombs as possible.

Id say america is more worse surviveing but if the purifier is back on, then america wins lol
Penny Courture

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:50 am

Yes, but they are very diffrent.
I'd imagine a fall back to fudal era type warrior factions built from isolated millitary remnants and tribal warlords. With the sparse peppering of religious isolationist colonies as well.
Charlotte Henderson

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:01 pm

already ghouls in japan makes sense they would be in china if they were bombed http://therearenosunglasses.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/charonboat_dot_com_hiroshima_victim.jpg (I answered the top answer)
ijohnnny

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Yes, but they are very diffrent.
I'd imagine a fall back to fudal era type warrior factions built from isolated millitary remnants and tribal warlords. With the sparse peppering of religious isolationist colonies as well.

I would love to play a game like that more than anything else.
Samantha Pattison

Return to Fallout Series Discussion