Red winter: War for Skyrim

Post » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:09 pm

Writers notes: Well here is a side Fan-fic That I have been thinking up for a long while but I didn't know how well it would fit in with the history and lore behind TES. But I guess its worth a shot. Please feel free to give any comments, Maybe advice on how to play it out in the future.

What is this about?: Brainstorming a lot I planned to make this story a bit after about 25 years after Cyrodiil had gone through the Oblivion crisis. Seeing a lot of Other fan-fics in the past and recently I have yet to see one based in Skyrim, a tale of the Nordic people. Sure there are adventurous types out there but not a fan-fic showing the political balance and imbalance of the Frosty province. I hope you like it.

Prologue

"Ever lasting winter, Cold steel biting into flesh and bone. My bones shake and rattle, for something I believe may come true, Hold fast My brothers and sisters of the northern land! Will we let this enemy fall us? Here and now we stand, Here at the hour of which the Gods' and our fathers watch over us! Nay I say! Let this foul enemy wane to our might! Let them cripple beneath our mighty arms! Let them fear us. Let them know no mercy. Today we shatter shields, Today we stand, Fight hard, Fight for our Honor! For the north!"

~Dhern The Hearted

"Cry Havoc and let loose The dogs of war!" -Julius Caesar

The night was young cloud cover above the city. Snow had began to fall, like it always did. In the keep of Dawnstar. The new Ruler, Frethral Silverbeard, Sat on his throne. His white bear skin outfit being most comfortable as he sat. With a cape the hood being the bears head also of white fur, acted like a blanket. Frethral leaned on his right side, resting his head upon his clenched fist. The Brick stone floor held a red carpet that extended from the throne steps to the front door. The hall in question made of logged wood with four beams set aside the carpet on each side. The large Fireplace behind the throne roared with a large fire lighting the gloom hall with the help of the torches that lined on the walls.

He sat there, Staring ominously into a dream. His silvery beard lengthened to his collar bone, and his silver hair was windswept and to his shoulders. His eyes where brown and reflected the torches that pinned on the walls. His left arm rested upon the armrest, thumping his fingers against the wood. One would tell that this ruler had felt something troubling. And he did. In his limbs he could feel something wrong, Something coming. A storm that would be a doom. Or maybe it was his mind playing tricks on him? Still he stared into his own world. Soon the hall doors flung open Violently and a Young Nord messenger scurried across the floor. His fur armor covered in snow, and his shield chipped on the left side.

Frethral had snapped out of his dream and gazed upon the young man now kneeling before him. He knew something was wrong, this man was out of breath, surely something of importance if he would hurry like such to the halls of Frethral. "I see you bring news of something lad." He looked upon the messenger and the young man looked up at him. "Well?" He ordered in a calm bellowing voice.

"My lord, Scouting ships have spotted a massive fleet heading to our coast." The young man motioned his right hand into the brown bag which hung on his side. He pulled out a rolled up parchment and held it out to Frethral. Frethral had stood from his seat wiping the wrinkles from his attire and approached the young man grabbing the message. He removed the red ribbon which bound it in a roll and unrolled and read. As he read through it his face went from emotionless, to fear. His eyes widened. He reread the message again and then dropped it to the floor.

"A whole fleet destroyed by these, Invaders?" He bellowed with outrage and brought his hand to his chin, stressing on the beard. "Send a message out to the remaining fleets, Any ships docked must sail away immediately, and counter this oncoming threat!"
"Yes my lord!" The young man bowed his head and got to his feet and ran out of the hall shutting the doors behind him. Frethral paced back and forth then clapped his hands. A heavily armored Nord body guard came from his position in the corner of the hall and knelt down to Frethral. "Yes my lord?" He asked

"Arise Argus, You do not kneel before me." Argus got to his feet, his Nordic plated armor shone with the roaring fire in the back of the room, his fur clothing sticking out a bit in between his pauldrons and gloves. "I need you to send word out to the other cities on the coast, Haafingar, and Winterhold! Tell them to raise the guard shifts and keep the soldiers on alert! Same for here!"
"Yes my lord, I will send my best man." Argus gave a bow and then hurried out of the hall.

Frethral turned back to his throne and picked the message back up and reread it. Thus it had:

My Lord Frethral Silverbeard;

We the crew of the Averygold, Second Scout ship of the Naval fleet have spotted the remains of the first Fleet. My lord it is horrible, the whole fleet destroyed. Our spotter in the crows nest has said to have seen a hint of an enemy fleet off into the distance coming to Skyrim. I have given this message to my hawk Falgorn, So this message should reach you in just a few hours after I have sent it, if given to a quick messenger. I advise that you report the remaining fleets that are docked to make way to halt this enemy. I do not know the numbers of this fleet, all I know is the ships move fast, faster then any galleon I have ever seen sail these waters and the waters around Tamriel.

I am grieved to say my son was in that fleet, on the flag vessel. But my grief aside, if our fleets are unable to halt this force, as I said the numbers are unknown, you might have to Set up a defense on the lands. I advise getting the soldiers on their heels and ready for an invasion.

Scout commander: Vilicius Stronghammer.

He sunk back into his throne and took up his pose once more, this time worrying about this unknown threat?

3 Days future, Sea of ghosts, 3 days away from Skyrim cost

The waters where calm, but the sea was covered of a thick fog. The second and third naval fleets had taken a position side by side nesting in the spot the enemy would soon come by. Each ship had ballista's ready, armed with arrows that held bags of magical explosive powder on the tips. On the flag ship of the whole fleet, The Doryn Nelas, the commander stood, keeping his eyes keened and focused on the invisible horizon. His thin chain armor dripped of fog water and some spots were frozen due to the temperature. But he had no feeling for the cold, As all nords are basically immune to it after living in it for so long. His right hand gripped his stalhrim long sword.

"Private! You see anything?" He yelled behind him pushing his voice up toward the crows nest. Soon an answer came back. "No sir nothing! The fog is too thick!" He gave a sigh and turned around to face his second in command. About to make the order to press the fleet forward but soon a light appeared in the sky. The commanders eyes quickly twitched following it. It went up then came down. He watched it then he made a gasp. "We are under attack!" He yelled out loud to the fleet but soon the flaming light hit the vessel to the right of his ship and it exploded making its crew fly into the water and sinking the warship.

"Fire at will!" He yelled out and the fleet fired their ballista's making a streaming volley pass overhead. He watched into the distance closely soon seeing the exploding lights of the projectiles. But to his surprise as the last light went off he ould see a ships sailing to him. The fog now cleared and behind that ship was another, and then more, numbers greater then this naval fleet. And soon his eyes caught more projectiles in the sky. A massive volley speeding toward the fleet. He had only a last sentence run through his mind. Gods save us!

"Annihilation will be unavoidable" -Disturbed
"I am an indestructible master of war!"

((Chapter one coming soon))
Steph

Post » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:13 pm

A decent story, which I think has some potential. :)

However, to me the sentences seemed very choppy and awkward, especially at the start, in the first paragraph. Could be me though.

Also, and once again this could very well be entirely me, but it seemed rather rushed.

Could be me. :shrug:

I look forward t reading more. :)
Andrea Pratt

Post » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:54 am

Chapter 1
A chilled breeze

The day had began, the white clouds lingering above falling snow upon the ground. With a mourning light gleaming from the snow. The city of Haafingar was silent, no sound of the settlement' inhabitants lingered about, leaving only the streaming wind to fill the silence. In a small log house, in the western part of the city rested a man and his dog. It was a quaint small home, open with no rooms or walls to separate one. A small round dining table sat in a small kitchen area on the north side of the house, and a small bed area lay a step down on the south side. It was a small area, big enough to fit a dresser and a small cupboard. Entering this home it was just a plain rectangle. The fire place across from the door with a small squar table suitable for resting ones feet upon.

A small stool rested to the side with a pile of books sitting on top of it. And behind the table rested an arm chair, made of bear fur, fit to sit in while reading a book or relaxing. Underneath it all lay a bear throw rug, brown and fluffed. Underneath the small table lay a silver timber wolf who had just awakened from a good nights sleeps. It crawled itself from underneath and then stretched bringing its back end up and lowering its fron and yawned. After it had done so it shook itself and then scurried over to the bed where a man lay in slumber. The wolf sat down tilting its head gazing at its master and gave a small wine. The man turned to his side still sleeping and the wolf gave a last wine. Without success of waking its master it walked over to him and liked his face.

The man opened his eyes and pulled his head away quickly. "Ah Timber, why did you have to end my dream?" He asked in a sleepy tone. Timber sat back down and tilted his head once more wagging his tail. The man sat up and stretched his arms and yawned allowed and got to his feet. Soon knocking came from the door. "Dhern you up yet lad?" a male voice came through. Dhern scratched his head and yawned once more and walked over to the door and opened it. "Aye! I'm awake." Dhern answered letting the man in. The man hurried inside and shut the door behind him pushing by Dhern and patting Timber. The man was in brown fur attire, with hunting pants. His hair was black and cropped his eyes brown. He turned around looking at the half dressed Dhern and gave a nod. "Ye best be getting your cloths on, a messenger arrived about half hour ago, said something about raising the guard and keeping the soldiers on alert. Thought maybe you wanted to go and see what all the commotion was all about."

Dhern gave a small frown then walked over to his dresser. He pulled out a long sleeved black fur shirt and black fur pants. He got out of his linen trousers and slipped into his new clothsand slipped into his leather boots. He looked into the mirror that hung above the dresser and fixed his hair back into its wind braided fashion, its dark brown matching the outfit and in turn, showed attention to his multi colored eyes. His right eye was a light icy blue, and his left a light green. He turned back around to his friend and cleared his throat. "Alright Sid, lets go see then!" He gave a sharp whistle making Timber stand back up and walked to the door opening it and timber walked out followed by Dhern and sid.

The settlers where all up and about formed in a small crowd at the steps of the barracks. Soon Dhern and sid had joined in and the commander of the fort began to speak. "Quiet now! Quiet! We are raising the watch and putting our soldiers on alert!" The crowd began to yell out again. "What for? Is there a curfew?" A woman yelled out over the crowd with questions. The commander hushed the crowd and it soon fell silent again. "Aye, there will be a curfew! We have received word that scouting ships have spotted a possible threat sailing to Skyrim. For the safety of the Citizens we need you to be indoors after the hours of nine at night." The crowd began to yell out again and the commander gave a sharp whistle. "No more questions, that's what is going to be done, for your safety. Now please I must head back inside for I have duties I must attend to! The commander then turned around and entered the fort doors and the crowd split apart. Some people mumbling on how this was ridiculous. Dhern stood there glaring at the doors then sid broke the silence. "A threat? Coming to Skyrim?" He gave a hearty chuckle. "It is probably some Dark Elf raiders most likely." He pushed Dhern' shoulder and they both walked back to the house.
"I don't know sid, this doesn't feel right. Don't you think so?" Sid nodded.
"Aye! But what does feel right these days Dhern?" Dhern thought for a second and then nodded his head in agreement.
"There is no arguing that." He gave a smile and they soon entered his house.

Sid had taken a seat at the dining table and looked around. "You have anything to eat? Maybe some mead?" Dhern looked threw the small cabinet that rested in the corner same wall the fireplace settled. For a fifth time in that week he was out of food and mead, but he had enough coin to buy a months stock in food and drink. "Nope, I eed to go get food today and mead. Mind catching a meal at the mead lodge?" sid felt his pockets.
"I have no coin on me lad." Dhern smiled and took a small coin purse from on top the cabinet.
"I can cover us both. Come on, I'm hungry and thirsty."

Sid got up from his comfortable seat and walked out the door. Dhern following suit but picking up his ebony long sword from its wrack that sat next to the door. He turned his head giving another sharp whistle and timber followed after him. It was a quick walk leaving the house. The lodge was right across the road . Sid had entered first and Dhern stopped and turned to Timber. "Hey boy, go fetch a rabbit, I'll make us a stew later." Timber perked up his ears and barked happily then turned and ran off going threw the city gate. Dhern gave a chuckle then entered the lodge.

It was full of people, drinking, eating and having laughs. He looked around and then saw sid already sitting at their usual table, which was always the only one empty. Dhern sat down at the side of sid and the maiden had already brought them food and mead. "I already ordered it, Shepherds pie and warm mead to top it off!" sid took his mug and gave a toast to Dhern, banging the mugs together then taking a small chug at the mead. After drinking half of the pint mug they slammed the mugs on the table and began eating their pie. The special ones for the day had a rabbit meat broth on mashed potatoes, with corn bread crust.

Dhern dug into his meal, taking in mouthfuls of the delicious food. Shepherds pie was his favorite, This particular one was of his recipe, He had given it to the proud maiden owner of the lodge so it would boost the income. Soon it did and she was flourishing with coin because the the shepherds pie was a favorite and most served meal. Dhern finished his meal and then relaxed in his chair leaning back with the mead mug in his hand. He glanced around the lodge looking at all the patrons and listened to some conversations. A particular group at the table next to Dhern and sid were very interesting. They were drunk after drinking so much ale and where spitting out bad jokes, but made the jokes funny cause they were so random and they were drunk.

"No lad, Your mother was so ugly that not even a pig could have given birth to her." One said and gave a loud laugh.
"Aye, but your wife is so ugly I had to wear a potato sack over my head while with her last night. A matter of fact I don't think she was even a woman!" The whole table busted out laughing, making them all tear.

Dhern chuckled a bit and took a drink of his mead and continued to look around the lodge. Many more people had arrived for breakfast and some just for the mead and fun. "So what if it was pirates then?" Sid started up. Dhern glanced at him with an arched eyebrow. "Pirates?" sid took a drank of his mead and set the mug down.
"Aye Pirates! There are a lot of the these days! They could be very well being tough guys trying to mess with our naval fleet, or maybe just for a bit o' fun!" Dhern gave a smirk.
"My friend, I don't think Pirates could be a threat, or wouldn't even dare to try and raid our settlements. We have too many guards and soldiers!" Sid shook his head.
"Yes but what if they had a large fleet themselves?" He shot out one of his silly ideas.
"And where would they amass such a fleet?" Dhern asked raising his eye brow. Sid rubbed his chin and then gave a nod.
"Then it's a conspiracy! They are telling us to make us stay in our houses! Haha!" Dhern shook his head and gave sid a little slap in the noggin.
"You and yer theories!" He chuckled.

Dhern had finished his mead and got up from his seat placing ten coins on the table and walked out of the lodge leaving Sid to have his fun. He walked toward his house the snow crunching beneath his feet. The snowfall had halted, the wind had picked up blowing the snow from the ground. Timber was sitting right outside the door with his catch of the day laying at his paws. Dhern gave a smile and pat Timber on the head, praising him for doing as his master asked. "Let's take a look at the catch." Dhern said knelling down and picking the rabbit up by the hind legs. It was a snowy white rabbit, plumb with much meat to be had. "Well, now this could make us a meal to last us for two days maybe a bit more." He eyed the rabbit and then opened the door. Timber lead himself inside and Dhern had entered closing the door and walking over to the dining table.

He put the rabbit down and opened the cupboard pulling out a clay board and setting it aside, then pulled out a skinning knife then took the rabbit back outside hanging it on a beam above the door and began work on skinning it. He worked like a professional cleanly slicing the fury skin off the muscle and kept the skin intact, to maybe use it later to make gloves or something. He would find a use. When he finished he set the knife down stabbing into the thick snow and he walked inside, shortly returning with the clay board. He placed the new unfinished meal on it and took it back inside.
Jeremy Kenney

Post » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:31 am

You're only allowed to have one active story at a time. If I were you I'd PM a moderator telling them to close which thread you want, before they go ahead and choose for you.
victoria gillis

Post » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Oh, hey your right. Was going to pm to close My other one, its finished for now, for that volume.
Charlotte Lloyd-Jones

Post » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:51 pm

Dhern placed the board on the table then pulled out a large silver bowl which he poured water into. The water was sitting in the fire place boiling so he could clean the skinned rabbit. He took out a meat cleaver and chopped off the head, then he started to slice open the stomach revealing the insides. He then began taking out the intestines and setting them aside and after awhile when he had finished he placed the cleaned out rabbit into the hot water. He let it sit there and he wiped his hands on a towel then replaced water into the cauldron and pushing it into the fire with the iron handle.

He grabbed a iron bucket and slid the intestines and head into it then set it into the corner and then took the board outside. Taking a handful of snow he began to clean the board, using the cold snow to sanitize it while the melted water cleaned the blood off. Soon he was satisfied it was clean enough he went back inside and placed it back on the table and then grabbed a large sack from the corner and pulled out an onion, two carrots, a ball of lettuce and a thing of garlic. Placing them on the board he took another knife and began to chop up the carrots then choped a bit of onions, and then sliced off two small chunks of garlic. The remaining parts he replaced into the sack and through it back into the corner then took the board over to the cauldron and dumped the sliced and diced vegetables into the boiling water.

He went back to the rabbit after setting the board back down and took it out of the warm water and then started to chunk off bits of the meat and setting those pieces aside. Timber sat at his side looking up at him, breathing hard his tongue hanging out of his mouth. Dhern looked down at him and smiled. "You know it has to be cooked first!" Timber tilted his head closing his mouth and lowering his ears. Dhern gave a chuckle them tossed a piece of raw meat at timber. It landed right in Timber' mouth and her began to chew at itand swallowing then looking back up at Dhern with a happy formed doggy face. Soon enough meat was chunked off and Dhern held it cupped in his hand the dumped it all into the boiling water. It was a whole thing of rabbit meat, leaving only the spine and ribs with bits of grizzle hanging from them. Dhern took these and placed them in the iron bucket them took out a large wooden spoon and stirred the stew.

The sweet aroma of the Rabbit and the vegetables filled the house as the different flavors mixed. Dhern had a pinch of parsley in his hand and then tossed it in with the combination. He let the cauldron sit for awhile letting the boiling water mix everything together. He sat in his armchair with timber leaning against it while Dhern rubbed his shoulder blade. Soon the stew could be smelled giving a tasteful aroma. Dhern grabbed a spoon and tasted his cooking meal. He gave a smile of satisfactory and then swung the iron arm out of the fireplace then took a clay bowl from the cabinet and poured stew into it. He had gotten much rabbit meat and ore still filled the stew. Soon Timber walked over his steel bowl hanging from his mouth and Dhern took it and filled it aswell and placing it down on the ground next to his armchair.

Timber sat down and looked at the stew as it steamed. He learned well to let food like that cool down before eating at it. Soon as the steam faded Timber began to dig in. Using his tongue to scoop up the broth and then biting at the remaining meat and veggies. Dhern had taken a liking to his meal aswell. Savoring every bite even the Rabbit meat which came out perfectly with the flavors of the Vegetables. After a few minutes both had finished eating, Timber had laid down, and Dhern brought his feet to rest on the small table sitting comfortably in his chair. With the warmth of the fire, and the comfort of the chair Dhern fell asleep.

~~~

WinterHold

The sun was in its decline of the sky above the heavy clouds. The guard positions where being switched, new guards taking over for the others to start their eight hour shift in patrols and standing in the towers. Civilians were walking around in the streets going home or to the local Mead hall. Some just randomly walked around for they had nothing better to do. Houses were smoking from the chimneys as Fires roared in the fireplaces. Soldiers were on standby in the barracks and the Militia Captain, Savrus Windspitter was walking amongst the street near the northern port gates. His fur armor hid chain mail underneath, also keeping in warmth. His head lacked any hair and his brown eyes looked like crystal balls in the cold weather.

At his back he hung a twin bladed silver axe which glimmered with enchantment. He had just now entered the north western watch tower. Checking up on the guard positions making sure no one was, lacking in their duties. On the bottom floor held a small resting area where extra guards sat relaxing In their easy duty, being back up. He headed up the circling stair way and soon reached the top climbing the ladder and peering through the trap door which was open and saw two guards in their position. He kept himself unknown to them, making a quick nod and climbed back down.

He stood there for a brief moment hearing their conversation. Soon one of the other guards climbed the stairs meeting him. "Hail commander!" He said with a cheerful tone. Savrus gave a small smile and then one of the guards up top gave out a yell, calling to his partner. Savrus' Eyes widened and he climbed the ladder. When he peered his head above he saw the guard looking out to the sea and then attempted to yell out something but soon he was struck with an arrow to the back and fell over the side. "What in oblivion?" He yelled out and looked down at the other guard. "To the gate now!" The guard gave a "Yes sir" then hurried down the stairs.

Savrus soon followed but stopped at the small resting room. "Get up you lazy buffoons, We are under attack!" The guards jumped to their feet grabbing their weapons and followed savrus outside. "Stay at the gate I'll alert the soldiers and the garrison!" But the men had stood there staring at a dead guard and a tall figure stood over the corpse, its silvery blade in the shape of a skinny Scimitar. Savrus pushed himself to run swiftly and soon the City bell sounded off. Relief had rushed through him but it was not over. He looked at the opened port gates and his face fell pale, all color washed away. A massive number of enemies standing outside the gate. They all were tall figures wearing black chain mail with Red cloth hung over the armor and red cloths wrapping around their head bellow their black helmets, only their eyes could be seen.

Savrus had no time to linger, the soldiers and city guard had poured at the gate and soon the sound of steel and cried of pain were heard. Savrus started up the road running as fast as he was able to get to the keep to alert and tell the city ruler, Ghaldrim Mist-eye about the threat that had swiftly and silently made it's way to the gates. Soon he had made it, forcing the entry doors wide open and ran up to the count with heavy breathing. "By the nine what is going on Savrus?" He ordered.
"My lord, we are being sieged!" Ghaldrim' eyes widened and fear had flushed across his face.
"By who?" He yelled out and his adviser had rushed into the hall.
"I do not know my lord, But they wear black mail with red cloth. Their faces are well hidden with red scarf's and black helms!" Savrus had caught his breath and stood tall. Soon the doors flung open again and a guard with blood running down his arm scurried across the floor.
"My liege, the numbers are far greater then out own, or men are falling quickly!." Savrus shook his head.
"We need to abandon the city!" Ghaldrim shot a disagreeing glance.
"We can not leave the city to these invaders! I will die before seeing myself flee my city!"
"Would you ask of that of your family my lord? Your wife and two sons?" Ghaldrim' face went from anger to sadness when the mention of his family was cast into the fire. "My lord, We need to evacuate and retreat, make for the village of Amol!"
"My lord?" The high elf adviser asked now wanting Ghaldrim' answer more so then Savrus.
"Fine! Sound for the retreat, we need to get the civilians out first and then the soldiers, Any wounded able to walk will do so, any who can't?" He paused with a grim look about him. "Leave them in the streets." Savrus nodded.
"Soldier, I know you bleed heavily but I ask of you to do one more service, sound the retreat and give order' to defend the civilians until the city is only with our men and the enemy, when they are out we make our way to Amol!."
"Right away sir!"

The man had placed his free arm over his wound and hurried back out side. Now Ghaldrim' body guards were now gathering around him, each in stalhrim armor, Savrus taking position in front of the escort. It only took few minutes to evacuate the city, the defensive line was now falling back and the Invaders had spread threw out the city. The escort of Ghaldrim had bumped into a small group of enemies and Savrus found himself in combat against an enemy with great skill with its sword, making for a skillful battle. The foe had made a thrust of his blade but Savrus had parried using the handle of his axe to push the blade down and then slid the axe till the blade was caught between the handle and one of the twin blades. The enemy struggled trying to pry the sword out but it wouldn't budge. But soon the struggle ended when Savrus pushed his enemy onto the ground the sword thrown away from the fight then raising the axe above his head and letting it move down chopping at the enemies skull.

Savrus then took it's other blade which was kept sheathed at it's side. It was curious on how the foe didn't take it when he fell. But taking no mind to why, he took the blade from the sheath and carried it with him again escorting Ghaldrim out of the city.

((Hope the experience in the RP goes better and alot smoother then it started out, for those wondering why im still posting the Fan-fic or why I made the rp is because I had a suggestion in turning this into an rp, so I thought making an RP would give the people who joined it a better look into the story and have the honor in playing a part in the reorganized version, plus it's something to do with the recent slow Rp's. Hope the experience in reading this is awsome too feel free to give me a comment or two by pm or by posting it here. This will be the last add on into this fan-fic untill after christmas, I wish you all a happy christmas. :D))
Sxc-Mary

Post » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:49 pm

I never have thought to see the site of a massacere. So many inocents dead, and for what purpose? A blood lust to conquer? Or a greater evil? 25 years ago I heard Oblivion was assaulting the Imperial Province and attempted to take the others. I have heard grusome stories, But to see such destruction, to hear the dieing screams of a friend and many women and children, It's overbaring. I find myself at times questioning if Akatosh still watches over me. But then I see my skills, the mens hope, There is no greater gift from a divine then hope and strength. To become Victorious through impossible odds. My people believe, death is the highest of honors. I don't know what will become of me and my men, But To fight this innevitable war, and see the enemy of my homeland, and brothers, and sisters perish before my final breath to the sword, or by time. That is the greatest honor. Protecting everything you love, and your hope....

Chapter 2
So it begins

Fire had lit the bricked streets. Houses burned down and many dead bodies littered the streets of the city. Blood painted tapestries on the marble and stone, running over its hard surface. The sky was not visible as the smoke clouded overhead, and the light of large roaring flames glowed it. A few more steps were taken, a cry of pain and then silence eroaded the atmosphere. No snow fell, instead it was replaced by the ashes and sparks of the surrounding buildings. A few more steps taken, the soft pitter patter of shuffled feet echoed in the silence. Like a gifted assassin circeling its kill. A few more steps taken, and then a turn, and a few more up steps into a desicrated temple. Akatosh' statue lay in ruin, the ceiling creaked, whispered and moaned and groaned. but there the attention gathered. Impaled on a spear with cuts and bloodstains on the bright plate armor, was a young women, No more then Dherns age. Her sword lay on the ground a few feet infront of her, her head facing down, her dirty ashed blonde hair stilled in the stillness of the silence. A few more steps to reach her, she gasped for breath. Blood leaking from her mouth down the side of her face, she looks up. A few more steps forward, almost to her. She lifts her hand up. The last few steps and the slow touch of hands she speaks. Don't Forget. She says, over three times. More pitter patter of soft foot steps, much faster. turning around to face it, a large reptilian, snake like manforcing it's blade forward and a large hissing scream roars like a violent earthquake. Now Darkness.

Dhern had woke up with a loud "NO!" sweat had slid down his face and his clothing was soaked. He looked around hopeing to get away from danger, but there was none. He began to calm down and looked at the now dark fireplace. "It was only a dream." He said to himself. He turned his head to Timber, who was now standing, alert, ears perked up and twitching in every direction to pick up an intrusion, and his nose expanding and contracting as he smelled the air. "It was only a dream boy." Dhern said in a quiet soft voice. He faced down and hnched over bringing his hands to his face, covering his eyes as he closed them. Timber approached him and sat down. Placing his nose on Dhern' lap. Dhern slid his fingers back, slicking his hair up and then it fell back down as he removed them. He gave a smile at Timber and patted him on the head then stood up. "It was just a dream" He said again and soon knocking came from his door.

"Dhern, It's Sid open up!" His best friend was outside, sounding urgent. Dhern glared at the door then approached, pulled back the latch and opened the door. Sid rushed himself in. "We have to get to Dawnstar!" He barked hurrying to Dherns chest and drawrs. "We have been summoned!" Dhern looked at him confused. sid looked back at him with sorrowfull eyes. Winterhold has fallen.." Dherns eyes fell from suprise to sadness.
"How, when?" He asked with a calm upsetting tone.
"Last night, A legion attacked from the sea. Frethral silverbeard had sent a special request we meet him." Dhern nodded.
"Have you packed your things?" He asked.
"What things would I have but a small sword and some robes, and my magicka?" Dhern smiled, but the sorrow still embeded his heart.
"Meet me at the gate, I have to get things packed and need to ready my equipment. And myself." Sid understood Dhern, They had known eachother since they met on their pilgrimages a long time ago, he knew all to well Dhern' tradition.
"I will wait for you." He gave a nod then left the house.

Dhern stood there with Timber sitting beside him. It had been a long years while since he had seen Frethral. They had faught together once, Dhern saved the kings life before he took the throne. It was a high honor to be given a summons by the king. dhern had snapped out of his daze then turned around and walked over to his cupboard. He opened it gently and inside was a red valvet sheet covering valuable equipment, another was a sheet wrapped around somethign as it hung. Dhern had removed the larger cover, revealing White silver armor. It was blessed by a high priest of Akatosh, after Dherns pilgrimage. The armor itself was very similar to the Dragon armor the Emporer wore. It was light as mithril, but as strong as Ebony. The shield was circular with Akatosh' symbol in a light black. His briastplate help the Paladins mark, a black outlined Diamond with a hand in the center. Timber had pulled a large bag to his masters feet and Dhern started neatly putting the armor in it. The shield hung outside. He then grabbed the wrapped valvet piece. He took more care with this. He pulled the cloth off revealing his sword. The sheath was gold, the hilt gold and black. He pulled the sword out slowly revealing its shiny Ebony blade. Even in dimmed light it shone brightly, like it had a light of its own.

Dhern strapped it to his waist after sheathing the blade again. Picking up the large bag he took a last glance around his home. He couldn't give a second thoughtm Frethral had summoned him, and Winterhold had fell. this ment the invaders are indeed starting to attack the coast and possibly try to take the continent. He stepped out the door and made his way to the south gates. Timber followed gracefully, he had his instincts, and his gifts to tell him his master needed him. it took a few minutes but they finally met Sid at the gate. Dhern and Sid exchanged glances as a large bear sled stopped infront of them. The bears were white coated and wore armor for protection, attached to the sled by ropes and slings. The master of this sled was a fur armored nord with just a bow and a short sword sheathed inside the sled attached to the side wall. Dhern and sid boarded and soon they were off to Dawnstar.

((Thought I'd start up on this again, Hey its something to do. :shrug: ))
Marquis deVille

Post » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:19 pm

Snow had fallen again for the fifth day this week, or the fifteenth day of the month. It came down fast and thick, snowflakes the size of small pebbles, and wind pushing it across the vast taundra. The sled had slid around a curve, at this pace the bears were hauling, they would be at Dawnstar within another five hours, near a days worth of travel. Dhern was wide awake his attention upon the rumored assault on Winterhold. Sid was sleeping with his head under a blanket to block the wind and snowflakes. "so your Dhern, the famouse paladin right?" The escort yelled as he held the reins of the bears. Dhern had flinched out of his thinking and sighed with a smile following.

"You can say that if you wish. but if you mean famous by saving Frethral from a band of necromancers and their minions yes." The man gave a chuckle.
"I heard you earned the rank of paladin by the temple in Cyrodill, By uriel septim before he died. And you were sent back out here." Dhern gave a smirk.
"Is that so? So then you know I was sent to find the king to put him on the throne then?"
"Aye!" The man paused then began in a louder voice as the wind picked up. "Well thats not all, I heard you and him led a squad into the lair again to kill the rising lich that was attempting to bring Mani Marco back. You guys had to fight almost an army of undead and necros."
"Aye, but we lost good men that day. It is not something to look up to and be proud of, Yes I conquered the beast, I saved this land many years of suffering and war. But th deaths of those few brave men is not something to look passed, instead to be reflected upon, learning of the evil that lurks behind us all, and in the wilds."
"Or on the sae!" Sid had waken up and made a quick comment. Dhern looked at him and nodded, loosing his smile. The sodlier shook his head and silence again consumed them.

Soon they had passed the legion garrison that marked just little time left untill the arrival of Dawnstar. And soon they had entered through the large loged gates. The sled halted then the three got out. "This way sir!" The soldier said and led Sid and Dhern up a large number of stairs and then to the entry doors of the small mead hall of a castle. as the doors opened Dhern' attention fixed upon Frethral, his good friend. Frethral stood, his white fur garb glistening in the fire lit hall, his bear shaw falling its bottom tip near, about an inch above the floor. The soldier had knelt down the the side and Dhern had paced forward meeting Frethral at the small stairs and knelt down. Frethral gave a loud chuckle. "You my friend have no place, Nor right to kneel before me! You who have braught me to this hall, and have faught by my side. It shoudl me who kneels." Frethral stretched his arm out and dhern grasped at his forearm givign a firm hand shake. "You made good time getting here."

"You can thank this errant boy, he managed the sled with ease." Dhern gave a smile and Frethral looked about the room. "So what is it you need of me my liege?" Frethral looked back at Dhern with a gleeful face, but Dhern could tell very well Frethral was hidding a far worse emotion under the mask.
"Walk with me." Frethral placed his hand on dherns shoulder spining then both to the back over look of the city and port and whe nthey reached it Frethral pinted outward tword Winterhold. "You see the smoke that rises from the city?" Dhern watched a vanishing haze of firey smoke rise from the distance and then looked away.
"It can't be true!"
"But it is my friend." Frethral gave a nod and one of his servants handed Dhern a wrapped cloth. It was light but Dhern pulled the cloth off revealing a saguine colored scimitar. The blade had a wicked pattern, something Dhern had ever seen before. With a weaving of sharp edges and a cut off in the center of the blade were a pattern goes deep back up the blade dead in the center. At the handle was a weaved guard, the upper tip curving upwards, clearly where the wrist goes under to hold the weapon, the bottom curved downward to protect fingers. Then Dhern looked back at the blade, this time noticing the red outline of a strange serpent symbol. Much like a snakes head with black ruby embeded eyes. Dhern examined the piece over and Frethral looked back out the opened window door. "Im afraid our worst fears have been realized. Saverus Windspitter, the captain of the guard in Winterhold has informed me of these snake men." Dhern looked up with a fearfull frown.
"Snakemen? A..."
"Yes, Akaviri. In old Scrolls they are named the Teasaei." Frethral had finished Dherns sentence, adding in the detail of the named race.
"Then we need to get word to the settelments of Skyrim, we need to put the legion on alert! How many do we know of?" Dhern bursted out with a commanding and pleafull tone.
"We do not know their numbers...."
"Their numbers are vast!" A booming voice came from behind Dhern, and Savrus walked by Dhern, wearing now grey tarnished chain mail armor, his battle axe hanging head down on his back. "They took only few minuts to take over the city. They seemed numberless." Dhern looked at the newly luitenant.
"That is impossible, A numberless army couldn't possibly make it across the seas without a large number of ships, It would take an unreachable amount of rescources to make such a large fleet!"
"My eyes were not playing tricks on me young lad!" Savrus yelled out in anger. "I was in the guard tower when the first couple of arrows hit two of my best soldiers on wach duty. I saw them Die! As I saw the vast number of the damn lizards rush from the thick fog that masked their arrival!" Savrus nearly exploded a vein with his yelling and Dhern rubbed his chin to this news.
"The call of arms has already been sent to the legion garrisons and stronghold of our own legion. The council of the Imperial city have denied sending legion forces for aid. Understandable, they need them to stay where they are at to keep the provinces in check. But we have full command of the imperial Legionairs stationed here." Dhern nodded and walked out of the open doors onto the over look.
"How long until they reach us?"
"That is uncertain, but we have scouting ships patrolling the waters and the legion is on standby." Frethral acknowledged knowing it would Give Dhern some comfort. "But you need rest my friend, my servants wil lcare to your needs, and walk amongst the city if you wish. I must attend a meeting with my advisers and Argus." With that said lastly Frethral gave a nod then left dhern and Savrus.

Dhern gazed across the wintery city and gleamed through the foggy wall that held itself a course slowly throgh the city from the sea. And uneasiness washed over him, first a nightmare which clearly now was a vision of Winterhold, Akatosh was indeed giving Dhern insight, but with so little knowledge of this threat, he could only hope that this swiftly approaching force was not as Savrus said.
Marta Wolko

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion