Ash vampires

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:36 am

Are the dagoths with the beards the ash vampires? Because I never encountered an actual enemy called "ash vampire" in MW MQ.Also, why are they called vampires if they dont feed on blood? Is it because there immortal?
Stat Wrecker

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:17 am

http://www.uesp.net/morrow/monsters/images/ashvampire.jpg
Del Arte

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:15 pm

Ok so ash vampires ARE the dagoths with the beards.That doesnt explain why there called vampires though
Ricky Rayner

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:43 pm

vampire means "demon of the night"
Alex Vincent

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:56 am

vampire means "demon of the night"

source?
Josh Lozier

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:49 am

...The "ash vampire" of Ashlander legend is not undead. Sorceries and blessings affecting the undead reportedly have no effect on these creatures. No specimen has ever been examined, and no references have ever linked these legends with the known clans of Tamrielic vampires....

My guess it's just a fancy name for the Heartwights, which they are also referred to. They are like Dagoth Ur himself bound to the Heart, and won't be truly dead until their connection with the Heart is gone. They are Dagoth Ur's kin according to some people, Vivec including.

A series of aggressive raids to neutralize Dagoth Ur's ash vampire kin, and recover artifacts from the bodies of his kin.

I don't have much info on the blood drinking, but as stated above, i think it's just a fancy name giving by the Ashlanders to Dagoth Ur's kin.
Strawberry

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:12 pm

source?

Forgot, it's some old scandovanian or salvic tongue I think.
Hearts

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:42 pm

I tend to think the Ash Vampires resemble the Dwemer, with their beards, and affinity to the Heart of Lorkhan...
I have always wondered if these guys are the original Dwemer engineers of the heart, corrupted and made to join Clan Dagoth...

Dwemer and Dagoth were allies, after all...

:)
Dalton Greynolds

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:12 pm

Forgot, it's some old scandovanian or salvic tongue I think.

Don't forget that real life defenitions do not always apply in the TES universe.
rolanda h

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:34 pm

If they're connected to the Heart, perhaps that is where the name comes from? They survive by svcking life/energy/power/something from the heart of a god....

This question might have been better answered if it had been asked in the http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showforum=16 section, to which I suspect it may get moved.

Hope you get a satisfying answer :).
Grace Francis

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:44 pm

This question might have been better answered if it had been asked in the http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showforum=16 section, to which I suspect it may get moved.

Sounds like a plan. :) Let's give it a go there.
X(S.a.R.a.H)X

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:34 pm

The Dagoth Ash Vampires are actually Dagoth Ur's brothers. They share the heart with themselves. Creates some sort of Hive Mind/Life (Star Trek fans rejoice) and when one is killed, Dagoth Ur is weakened.
Sophie Miller

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:39 am

Muthsera,

Ash vampirism differs from poryphic hemophilia, the common notion of the "vampiric disease".

"Vampirism" is taking life from something living. "Ash vampirism" (unknown until the advent of Dagoth Ur) is taking sustenence from something dead, in this case a god. Dagoth Ur himself, on the other hand, was taking godhood from the dead Lorkhan, which is why he is considered a god and not an ash vampire.

Ash vampires eat the dead essence (ie., the ashes) of Lorkhan that is contained in Dagoth Ur.

My friend in Vvardenfell, Vala Catraso, has this to say about Ash Vampires: "Ash vampires are immortal magical beings of vast powers. Close kin and loyal lieutenants of the Devil Dagoth Ur, they partake of his supernatural vitality."

Going further, another friend of mine in Vvardenfell, Artisa Arelas, had the following to say regarding "vampires": "Blood vampires are powerful undead creatures that feed on humanoid blood. The vampire curse is contracted from disease-contaminated blood; victims of vampire attacks sometimes become vampires. There is no known cure for vampirism but the destruction of the vampire. Ash vampires are not blood vampires; though both are powerful immortal undead, ash vampire do not feed on blood, and have no connection with blood vampires."

I hope this helps.

___TWM
Emilie Joseph

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:13 pm

Wow. You learn something new everyday, dont you? :P
candice keenan

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:49 am

Dwemer and Dagoth were allies, after all...

That's the Tribunal's version...
NIloufar Emporio

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:20 am

That's the Tribunal's version...

And it doesn't even make sense. If you were Neravar would you let Dagoth guard the heart and tools if he was allied with the Dwemer?

But it's been a while since I played the Morrowind Main-Quest so I could be mistaken but if I remember correctly then it went like this:
They defeated the Nords,Orcs and Dwemer at Red Mountain and Neravar left to tools with Dagoth while he went and consulted Seht,Vehk and Ayem. Dagoth gave in to temptation and used to tools and opon discovering this Neravar struck him down and thought he was dead.
Vehk then murdered Neravar and used the tools along with the other Tribunal.

If Dagoth was working with the Dwemer he would not have been able to use the tools on the heart. I doubt Neravar, being as smart as he was, would have allowed an enemy to get close to something so powerfull and mystical.
Brιonα Renae

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:02 pm

And it doesn't even make sense. If you were Neravar would you let Dagoth guard the heart and tools if he was allied with the Dwemer?
But it's been a while since I played the Morrowind Main-Quest so I could be mistaken but if I remember correctly then it went like this:
They defeated the Nords,Orcs and Dwemer at Red Mountain and Neravar left to tools with Dagoth while he went and consulted Seht,Vehk and Ayem. Dagoth gave in to temptation and used to tools and opon discovering this Neravar struck him down and thought he was dead.
Vehk then murdered Neravar and used the tools along with the other Tribunal.

If Dagoth was working with the Dwemer he would not have been able to use the tools on the heart. I doubt Neravar, being as smart as he was, would have allowed an enemy to get close to something so powerfull and mystical.

I always wondered how the Tribunal and Dagoth were able to use the Heart without knowing anything about how to use it. Vehk had to take you out of time to teach you it and they figure it out in hours?
Stryke Force

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:06 pm

I always wondered how the Tribunal and Dagoth were able to use the Heart without knowing anything about how to use it. Vehk had to take you out of time to teach you it and they figure it out in hours?

Maybe the Dwemer left some notes and they just read them.
ILy- Forver

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:47 pm

If I'm not mistaken, Sotha Sil studied the Heart and it's assorted... stuff, and that's how they learnt how to use it. As for Dagoth.. Perhaps there is actually some truth behind the Dagoth-Dwemer theory. Perhaps not an alliance, but a deal of some sorts?
Or maybe, Dagoth were just a very smart guy.
Wayne Cole

Post » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:40 pm

I don't remember the exaact book, but it seems Dagoth Ur (and House Dagoth at large) had friendly relations with the dwemers. And Voryn Dagoth was the first one to spill the bean about the Hearth to Nerevar - Before Azura added her voice.

It's not far fetched to suppose he had a fairly good idea oh what the dwemer were up to and how they planned to do it, and at first opportunity used said knowledge for his profit. Siding with Nerevar being a way to get access to the Harth and the Tools.

The five songs of king Wulfarth, though not the most reliable of sources, hints that the nords were tipped about the Hearth by house Dagoth, proably to generate more confusion and enable Voryn Dagoth to make his move - each of the parties (dwmeers, chimers, nords and orcs) in this 3-sided mess thought the other two were allied agaisnt him, which explaisn the confusion about the events.
Alan Cutler

Post » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:37 am

The texts never really say how long Sotha Sil took to study the tools, they just say that he did before they tapped the heart; meaning it really could have been any amount of time. http://www.imperial-library.info/mwbooks/battle_redmountain.shtml might give some clue as it says:
    "For some years we kept the oaths we swore to Azura with Nerevar, but during that time, in secret, Sotha Sil must have studied the tools and divined their mysteries. And at last he came to us with a vision of a new world of peace, with justice and honor for nobles, and health and prosperity for the commoners, with the Tribunal as immortal patrons and guides. And dedicating ourselves to this vision of a better world, we made a pilgrimage to Red Mountain and transformed ourselves with the power of Kagrenac's tools."

Teghan Harris

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion