Darker tone?

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:36 pm

Yes please, I want to pee myself with fright when I play this game!
Anthony Rand

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:31 pm

Not to incite a flame war, but i think if they take a page from fallout 3's ambiance it would accomplish this very well. I actually yelped the first time i was jumped by a deathclaw, and was legitimately scared to wander the wastes at night without heavy weapons and armor. With dragons possibly infesting Skyrim i cant help but expect this same sort of dangerous tone to be prevalent in the game, however if the tone is set based on dangers inherent in the main quest it would be nice to see a change in tone once we solve whatever problems are lying around. It would make it feel like we actually "cured the blight" so to speak.
Sweets Sweets

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:08 am

yeah it should be a little darker i think, espescially in the mountains and wilderness of skyrim. i think the cities shouldnt be as bad though, atleast the major cities
Rachie Stout

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:48 pm

yeah it should be a little darker i think, espescially in the mountains and wilderness of skyrim. i think the cities shouldnt be as bad though, atleast the major cities

Really? I would think major cities even in BC would have a kind of GTA feel .-.
(I don't mean people randomly gunning civilians down... I mean drug addicts, homeless people, murderers, thieves, conspiracies... I think some smaller villages might be happier as long as they arent often attacked by trolls or something >_>)
Causon-Chambers

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:28 pm

yeah it could go eiter way i guess, it dont matter to me as long as its not all 100% cheerful like oblivion :wacko:
Spaceman

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:27 pm

yeah it could go eiter way i guess, it dont matter to me as long as its not all 100% cheerful like oblivion :wacko:

Amen, I don't want to frolic through bright and colorful flower-like grass
Victoria Bartel

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:02 am

In reallity here where I live (far to the north) it's not allways dark. I think that the developers should put some work into this because it can really ruin the feeling of beeing close to the pole. First I would like them to consider short days and long nights. The sun maybe rises about 8 am and sets at 3 pm. And when the sun is up I should just peak up above the treeline and then go down again. No zenith in other words. The snow reflects light and thus makes it less dark. For example standing on a snowcovered field a clear night when it's full moon, it can be pretty bright, you can see most things, especially the snow. But standing in a forest without any snow a cloudy day, you wouldn't see much at all. Also the colours dissapear in the lack of light. The only colours is white from the snow against the contrast of the dark to black trees and bushes. However if thats the harsh wilderness of skyrim I would like a lot of cosy torches and coloured lanterns in towns and villages where I can warm up my feets after a long walk out in the cold.
Kayleigh Mcneil

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:34 pm

I think that making the game brighter upon completion of the Main Quest (if you do defeat the main evil in the Main Quest, that is) would be great, it would give more of a feeling of triumph over the evil that threatened Skyrim/Tamriel.
Mylizards Dot com

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:01 pm

It's not so much a choice between MW's dark and moody feel and OB's bright and cheerful one; I'd prefer a lot more CONTRAST. There should be beautiful, serene valleys, with waves of bright flowers turned toward the sun, and dark, sinister forests where you can't see more than a few dozen yards for the foliage and shadow. There should be quaint and pleasant villages and dirty and depressing ones. OB lacked VARIETY, more than anything else. The levelling and scaling just added to that lack of variety, by restricting what you could find wandering in that cheerily bland landscape. After a few hours of play, it all felt the same; it was all I could manage just to suffer through it and finish the MQ, just so I could argue the point from an "informed" perspective. After that, I never felt any urge to go back and try all of the various side quests and explore the rest of the map, so I've apparently not seen some of the game's "good" parts.

The stark contrasts in MW between the swamps of the Bitter Coast and the rocky highlands of the West Gash, or between the lush, green fields of the Ascadian Isles and the ash wastes of Molag Amur, made exploration and travel worthwhile, and a joy. In a matter of a few minutes walking, you could go from "beauty" to "horror", and back again. My first foray inside the Ghostfence, I felt the depressing weight of hopelessness descending, and nearly turned back on the spot.

In OB, it felt too much like "more of the same old", no matter where you went, aside from the more mountainous northern regions, which at least were refreshingly different from the rest of it. The thick jungles of the south were just closer packed forest, and didn't feel markedly different from the rest of the map; more like a minor local variation. Even the plane of Oblivion quickly lost any intimidation value, because it was so heavily overdone with gore to the point of bordering on humor, and the bright and shiny look to it just made a mockery of the whole thing once you got past the initial shock.

Neither poll choice fits: I want BOTH.
Kellymarie Heppell

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:22 pm

Neither poll choice fits: I want BOTH.

^^^^^^^ This.

Combine this with my wish for terrifying places and the inclusion of natural phenomenons like tearing tornadoes and the like, and my other with that the mood of place should show an estimation of the danger level of that place, and we have a magical formula that would never fail.
Tasha Clifford

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:35 am

It should be both light and dark, but the game should be darker overall than Oblivion was.
Da Missz

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:39 pm

The light, it burns!
:gun: :lightbulb:
:shakehead: but seriously, yes there needs to be a balance between light and dark. I mostly just hope that the contrast isn't so bright this time around, I would like a darker feeling game, but that's not to say I wouldn't still like some nice areas, sunny days, etc.
Roberto Gaeta

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:13 pm

I want Blizzards!!
Gen Daley

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:56 am

I accidently voted no! D:

But I mean yes. :)
Daniel Holgate

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Short answer: Yes.

Although I want the game to also feel peaceful and bright, since I really love the fact in OB you can just go for a walk in the forest and enjoy the sunny day; I also want it to be dark and scary sometimes, especially in dungeons, caves and ruins. Talking about the creatures I always felt they were pretty plain in OB, I never felt scared or fearing for my character's life from playing. I would like seens where you would walk into a a dungeon filled with zombies and have a bit of "Zombie Mode" episode, this happened in FO3 when you were searching for the Lincoln Repeater (though in that case the monsters were ghouls not zombies) and it's been one of my favourite in game moments.
Danel

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:43 pm

I don't want nothing to dark. But Morrowind hit the spot right, so if it's like that I'll be happy.
Victoria Vasileva

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:04 pm

Odin the Norse god of battle and poetry had two ravens called Thought and Memory. They were his messengers. So it would be cool if there were ravens in Skyrim. Odin One Eye is watching. :bonk:
Fiori Pra

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim