odd jobs for money...

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:49 am

Id really love to see some odd job options such as,

wood cutting, fishing, hunting, plant gathering, mining, courier, newspaper delivery, even grocery shopping for your guild, and the bodyguarding jobs from daggerfall.

small everyday things which turn the wheels of society.

not every quest has to be epic demon slaying shenanigans.
maddison

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:12 pm

I'd like that too, it'd be very nice. There's a suggestions thread somewhere in this forum that you can post this on, though.
laila hassan

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:31 am

also these jobs would be indefinate, meaning you could keep doing them like the scrap collecting job in F3.
Elle H

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:26 am

And then, the hero of legends, put out his hand, and grabbed a fruit and dropped it in his grocery bag.
Chris Guerin

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:42 am

two worlds 2 has a neat little system for having odd jobs in place.

job boards located in certain areas which you collect little scrolls from which add to your quest log.
Jynx Anthropic

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:45 am

And I suppose that the pay for these jobs will somehow mysteriously scale up over time as well to the point where you can buy entire houses by baking a few flakey pastries too, hmm? :facepalm:
lucy chadwick

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:16 am

And then, the hero of legends, put out his hand, and grabbed a fruit and dropped it in his grocery bag.

He then wondered off into the distance. Never to be seen again. They say he will return when he is most needed.
Manuel rivera

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:59 pm

And I suppose that the pay for these jobs will somehow mysteriously scale up over time as well to the point where you can buy entire houses by baking a few flakey pastries too, hmm? :facepalm:

A la Fable 2. Ugh, what a HORRIBLE gaming mechanic. "You can do anything you want in our game... provided you have excellent button timing and have no issue with the idea that someone will pay $50,000 for a perfectly poured pint of ale"

Now that I "went there" I must agree with the OP. I wish there were odd jobs that you could do for cash, or even were a requirement for guild standing.
"Oh you want to be in the fighter's guild eh? Ok... go deliver these letters to the guild houses all over the province. That way we'll know you've got the cardio, plus everyone else is too busy. Now pay your dues punk".

As long as they didn't have Fable-style escalating rewards or Fable-style single button minigame, I think it would be a great addition.
BEl J

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:59 am

Some mods in oblivion let you do that but yes I would like to see this in the game.
Nice one

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:20 pm

collection fur to sell would be fun. then you can actually call yourself a hunter ;) with a few very rare creatures aswell it could potentially be very fun!
Ella Loapaga

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:25 am

:laugh:

Gathering of sorts similar to that of gathering ingredients for alchemy would be cool. Easiest way would be to do it like MMOs do it, gathering nodes, a tool, and a simple animaion.
Julia Schwalbe

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:57 am

no minigames are neccessary...

for chopping wood you would simply hack at a tree with the attack button holding an axe.

for mining the same only a cavern wall.]

fishing you could cast a line with a bow like mechanic and joggle the bait with the anologue sticks.
Rude_Bitch_420

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:40 pm

I think that's an excellent idea. An easy way to implement it would be to have two match types in the Arena (if there is an arena). Make one ranked match (which is harder, but actually raises your rank within the arena standings) and then the regular match (which keeps you at the level you are, but has easier matches).

Aside from that, repeatable quests would be good... Like the job in Oblivion were you had to bring bows to the Count of Leyawin for 100 gold a piece..
Lovingly

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:39 am

Stuff like pelt collecting for the local light armor merchant/clothier is cool by me, but playing mini games for hours on end in not cool by me. I think they have been doing a fine job with that in recent games, no need to change it up now.
Charity Hughes

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:57 am

I'd like to see some very small quests, that require only a few lines of dialogue to make. Just a few tiny things to do here and there. Like fixing the water leaks in Megaton in Fallout 3, or the 'random events'.

Or Morrowind's http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Hentus_Needs_Pants. Reward? 3 cheap ingredients that restore fatigue. Did I find it a waste of time? No, it was pretty funny. Or http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:The_Scholars_and_the_Mating_Kagouti, with a cheap enchanted amulet or a skill book as a reward. Little encounters like that are fun.
Monika

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:58 am

Bounty Hunter now that would be a stick job if it was in the game.
Vicki Blondie

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:24 am

That popular thievery mod for Oblivion actually has a rather neat system of randomly-generated/randomly-selected mini-quests that you can do for a few bucks now and then. It distributes various valuable baubles throughout certain dungeons in the game and then will select one and its container and have you go after it; a similar system could probably be set up for Skyrim, with the various guild leaders and porters being able to select from a pool of quests and randomly distribute its target ala Daggerfall. Nothing nessecarily major, but fitting enough for the guilds at hand: hunt down a fugitive in X, deal with a zombie some moron over in Y conjured up in his basemant, purloin the valuables in Z's house, so on.

EDIT: And it sure beats the hell out of baking flakey pastries for two hours.
Josh Trembly

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:03 pm

I like the idea of "Odd Jobs". It gives the game a more reality feel and it's a good way to make some money quickly if need be without have to do extensive guild or story line quests.
Tanya Parra

Return to V - Skyrim