Recognition of Office

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:26 am

As I was playing through some of Morrowind and Oblivion, I noticed something a little, annoying; whenever one takes out of guild requests, the PC seems to only be known as an adventurer. One of my MW character is the head of the Telvanni, a high ranking member of the Thieves Guild, and the nerevarine. While everyone notices, at first, I am the nerevarine, all dialog afterwards looks as though I am treated as some adventurer trash. Same deal with Oblivion.

What I'd like to see is NPCs recognizing I am not some some adventurer, but I am either a high ranking member or the head of a wide-spread organization and they should at least treat me with some respect.

What do you all think?
jenny goodwin

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:42 pm

That probably won't happen as long as the game is fully voice acted.
darnell waddington

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:59 pm

I agree dude. Im playing Oblivion right now, and am the head of the thieves guild and the dark brotherhood. I shouldn't be treated as some ho hum dude wondering around. I feel that what you do and your position held should greatly impact how people interact with you.
tiffany Royal

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:58 pm

Not really.
As it does with the Generic NPC Disposition responses in Oblivion, they could record a number of different dialogues, depending on guilds and what ranks. The game then takes notice of what guild or rank you are and plays that. I'm no expert, but that seems plausible.
Kevin Jay

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:16 pm

I agree dude. Im playing Oblivion right now, and am the head of the thieves guild and the dark brotherhood. I shouldn't be treated as some ho hum dude wondering around. I feel that what you do and your position held should greatly impact how people interact with you.

Wouldn't not being recognized as an assassin and notorious criminal be better for your character's longevity?

Also, I don't see why there couldn't be more recognition of your rank/reputation, but who knows.
Robyn Lena

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:14 am

Someone suggested recently in a thread to allow the player to wear insignia for the guilds or factions they are in. So if you're in a knightly order, people greet you with a little more respect or accommodation.
courtnay

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:28 am

It would be cool to encounter a villain character at one point in the game after becoming Arch Mage, or the Skyrim equivalent, and instead of just adressing you as he would normally he says, "Ah, if it isn't the Arch Mage himself. I won't underestimate you sorcerer..."

Adding stuff like that would be awesome. Some people respect you, others despise you, some just don't care either way. Some may hate yet respect you.
Soku Nyorah

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:39 pm

If you were recognized as the heads of one of those organizations, let alone both, you'd probably not be able to do any quests and be attacked by guards on sight and/or jailed.
AnDres MeZa

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:45 pm

Someone suggested recently in a thread to allow the player to wear insignia for the guilds or factions they are in. So if you're in a knightly order, people greet you with a little more respect or accommodation.

With an insignia (something symbolic of the faction, not just embroidery), travel could be less tedious, as your typical bandit wouldn't stick-up one with the king's seal.
Philip Lyon

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:24 pm

That's actually a cool idea, have a symbol of office of some sort that displays your membership (and perhaps, your general rank) in a guild, and have people react to it (via things like dialogue, merchant discounts, or enemies hesitating to mess with you, etc). Warrior-type guilds might give you a tabard to wear over your armor, a hood for mages (not the weirdly-done hoods from Oblivion, but something more like http://www.museumreplicas.com/images/PRODUCT/large/1328.jpg, which actually works as a separate item), illegal guilds, like the Thief's Guild or Dark Brotherhood might go for something more subtle, like a ring or amulet, that only criminal types would recognize.
Dean Ashcroft

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:56 am

something I hated in Oblivion was how condescending necromancers were.
them: "my poor child, I'm afraid you're in way over your head"
player: "I went through [censored] hell, became leader of the most feared assassin's guild in the entire land, stole an elder scroll, and got Big Head the Fork of Horripilation. WhatisthisIdon'teven"
matt

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:19 am

they are both secret organization people are not supposed to reconize you as their leaders
Shelby Huffman

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:32 am

Dark Brotherhood might go for something more subtle, like a ring or amulet, that only criminal types would recognize.

So, what if they're your target? I say the thieves and assassins ought to have no identification.
Karl harris

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:34 pm

I don't see how that's a problem. Just change the Dialog to reflect your station. Bioware does this all the time and it seems to work okay.
Victoria Vasileva

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:23 pm

So, what if they're your target? I say the thieves and assassins ought to have no identification.

Well, then you take it off.
Amy Smith

Return to V - Skyrim