The Melee combat system, shift from rpg to action Importance

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:20 pm

Just my way of saying, "Nobody really cares or wants this." While it's not 100% true, I still find it fun to say as it's a way to get a point across whilst having a laugh.

I think you mean, "It is a good way to troll, and I get a laugh out of flamebaiting."?
Naomi Ward

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:53 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with the above post. Though sadly, I even agree with the part about how we'll likely never see this type of system implemented.

And to all of you screaming "NO!" and "TES is an RPG, not an ARPG!" and the like, get the [censored] over yourself. In case you hadn't noticed, Oblivion's combat had practically zero RPG elements in it, purely action. That's likely the way Skyrim will be, too. So stop whining and come to terms with the fact that TES, in regards to combat, is now based on action. That said, it might as well be based on good action, if it must be so based in the first place.

Actually it did, RP stands for RolePlay, combat has little to do with that, however in Oblivion you could ofc hit as easily as in normal life, and I don′t look at it as realistic in Morrowind that you could not hit an enemy even if your sword went through, so anyway in Oblivion you can ofc do all the attacks with any character, but a typical mage can not do them right, a well trained warrior however can do them right and can thus knock someone back or paralyze someone with them, so Oblivion combat is more fitting to an RPG and more fitting than any action based combat where a mage can do what a warrior can if you know the right combos... it′s stupid to say that Oblivion combat system was action based, it was not it was RP based, if it had been action based it would have been like in Dark Messiah.
Jessica Phoenix

Post » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:28 am

A lot of people didn't enjoy combat in Oblivion, but I honestly thought it was great.

The only thing we do need is more gore and dismemberment, I would also want the weapons to hurt in a more realistic fashion, putting more emphasis on blocking and what not. I want my life to feel as though it's really in danger when I fight.

Of course we would still have armor to protect us, but the way I see it if you sacrifice heavy armor for the lighter stuff you could in turn be more agile but it wouldn't help stopping those massive swings from connecting a mortal wound.

I felt the hand to hand combat in the Ridfick games was awesome!

I would of course like to keep a first person view as it makes me feel much more immersed in the game.
Rebecca Clare Smith

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:03 pm

i agree that oblivion's combat system needs to be improved.. and i like the combat system in that severence game you were talking about, but like almost everybody else's response (that i've read) i like the first person in oblivion and morrowind.... i think that it would be cool if they could somehow combine the combat systems in severence and dark messiah because they both looked pretty good..... but i also wouldn't really mind if it stayed the same

[edit] i think that with kinect and the new playstation 3 thingy, first person combat could be greatly improved.... but i don't know what pc users would do, though, i think they would get over it because they have mods :D
Natasha Callaghan

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:57 am

Hello, some of you may remember me from the old Oblivion/morrowind forums. I posted some similar topics and idea's on there before the games came out.

With the TES series we have seen a shift going from more traditional "rpg-style" combat to a more action-oriented system. However it's been a bit of a rough road. With Morrowind the combat felt disconnected. you'd be visually right up on someone whacking at their head but getting a "miss." This took the player a step back, as it took you out of a game because you, the player, were in control of the game but the game was still trying to determine something that you visually/physical controlled also.
Frankly, I was perfectly fine with this. I can't stand the OB style combat as it's too much like palying a video game as opposed to an RPG. BUT, I come from a PnP and old school background and am used to die rolls...

With Oblivion this was taken a step further, even more action oriented with no "to miss" rolls, you hit something you hit it this time. However the combat still wasn't comparable to the great action games out there. It came off feeling "wishy washy." There was no real connection between you and the enemy you were fighting, you would run up to them, swing your sword hap-hazardly hacking away at someone., there was no real "dance" to the combat. Nothing like you'd picture if you read about a real sword fight or watched it on teh big screen.
You're right, I definitely was haphazard with my swings. I'm no good at OB's combat...I just clicked as fast as I could to deliver as much damage as possible in the shortest ammount of time. Also, I'm, not in it for the combat, or to be Erol Flynn. I'm in it for the story...

The main things that are holding the combat back is the fact that the game uses first person. This is a big limiter to the combat because of the fact that as a developer, you don't want to constantly "disorient" the player,
Man, If I got into melee with more than 2 oppoenents in OB (or MW) I was definitly disorriented! Between clicking, the opponent moving, and me trying to track one of them, I hardly knoew which was was up! Much less try a power/mouse move!

this leads to the movees and combat being kept down, there's no fancy acrobatic moves, no real lv changes in fights or anything. It just doesn't feel that "personal/impactful." Not to mention with first person views in games it drastically cuts off your peripheral vision, So things you might see/know if real life you simply don't because of the FOV/limitations of your monitor.

The second main reason the combat wasn't as good as it could be was the combat system itself. Like a good famous third person action game, Jedi Knight (which I'm sure many of you are familiar with) it had one fatal flaw in its system, movement. In both Obliviion and Jedi Knight the movement and direction of your combat moves were based on a direction. This ends up creating both visually and physically combat that looks rather.....awkward. You have two peple fighting who simply run around without meaning, whacking away at one another. It looks basically like two kids fighting with nerf swords, not like either a real sword fight or even a more "Hollywood" choreographed fight.

The biggest change to combat to make, to get it away from feeling this way is simple, do not base the direction/combat moves on a physical direction. Instead of using direction/movement to determine what moves the player does all you need is to make one fundamental change. Best of all? It can be done with NO key changes, that's right, no additional keys/button to use apart from the already implemented controls.

There was one game that did this, and to this day it has imo the best Melee combat system to date, Severance (blade of darkness). In Severance the combat was fun and enjoyable. It placed a GREAT importance on being defensive (dodging, blocking, etc) and know when to attack and not.
Uh oh....sounds like you're getting to action/video game oriented for me. It's not about how well I control the mouse, buttons, whatever. It's about tactics (I loved the BG series of combat, or X-Com)

The controls worked much like Jedi Knight except for one major difference, instead of simply hitting w/s/a/d and THEN using your mouse it reversed it. It was a simple yet wholeheartedly world of difference. The left mouse button become your "action" button. You simply pressed it (and held it down) and then used w/s/a/d to pulle doff moves.
Um I don't to do moves. I just want to hit the damn target and not get comfused by pushing the wrong button at the wrong time
Then you simply released the mouse button to use w/s/a/d to move around as usual. It was quick, easy to learn, but offered a great depth that JEdi Knight and similar games couldn't match. This made combat both physically play out and visually look "right." Not only did it make combat more cohesive and enjoyable but it made things feel more connected. Gone were they awkward spactic moving around and frantically whacking away look of combat and now you had combat that looked like you would expect it to look in real life. . You moved when YOU wanted to, not to pull of "x/y/z" move.

The next major improvement to combat was the Lock On system, now do not jump to conclusionis here. When I say "lock on" most people here probably imagine a cheap "aim-assist/win" button. This was not true of severance at all. The lock on system was oe of the best things because with the lock on system it made the importance of the defense even more so and also made it a pillar of combat, rather then an afterthought. It didn't feel cheap and it wasn't a "free hit" either.

With the l ock on system when you locked on to your chosen foe (which you could easily switch/get out of) it merely kept you oriented toward them. This opened up a major change in movement, the circle strafing. Now for any of you who have watched fights in real life, boxing, MMA, etc you know that circling around your opponent is a very important part of combat. This was the case back in the middle ages as well. Without a lock on system you do NOT have a circle strafe, as movement still exists on a 2d-plane for mouse/keyboards. You would have to move /turn your mouse constantly to "mimic" a circle strafe in most games without a lock on system. However once you lock on to someone in Severance, your a/d key becomes a circle strafe. What this does is allow you to move around your enemy, to get a good angle for a hit, etc. You press it quickly twice for a dodge as well to move out of the way of blows.

See with the Lock on systesm another key thing that they did was to have animations/hits play out once you start them in that direction. This means that if you are facing me, then go to attack (while locked on), if I am quick enough to judge right, I can dodge your attack because once you start your combat move, it plays out in that direction you were facing, this allowed you to dodge attacks quickly if you read your opponents moves. So lock on wasn't cheap, didn't magically help you "hit" someone, it merely connected the combat and made it both play and feel more realistic.
Damn, that sounds like a good idea. I hated trying to cordinate keyborad and mouse. Lock on and swing..simple..I'm there! But it might eliminate speed from the combat equation of out maneuvering your opponent, yes?

snip

But all of that said, I still prefer bows and the backstab ;)
Liii BLATES

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:08 pm

I think you mean, "It is a good way to troll, and I get a laugh out of flamebaiting."?

Nope, I meant what I said amigo.
Trevi

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:56 pm

I like first person combat, and I hate the concept of lock on.

I prefer to manualy circle the enemy. The thing I love most about TES games, is that I am in direct control of my character, with my characters perspective. Very few RPGs do that these days. I want to live the battle from my characters eyes, see what he sees, not sit back and watch.

Changes I would like to see are things like dodge moves (think deadly reflex), equipment+stats+encumberment affecting top speed AND acceleration, heavy armor being able to shrug off weaker attacks ( maybe like a Damage Threshold type thing)
Intergrated martial arts abilities ( like kicking an opponent, grabs+throws ) and more diversity in how certain weapons are used.

Example: Maces and similar weapons were designed for damaging 'heavy' plate type armor, so give them a bonus against heavy armor, as well as using different timing and animations for them as opposed to the generic sword, wich is a stabbing and cutting weapon.

Add more dynamic combat situations; like being able to trip your oponent, or to hook their shield arm and bat the shield away exposing them. make shields actualy STOP damage, not reduce it.

Those are the kind of things I think need more focus, Oblivion's system is a good step forward and with further development it can keep getting better.

At the same time, I hope Beth doesn't get too caught up in the combat side of things, and keeps in mind that there are more ways to solve problems than with violence.
Some of my most enjoyable times in morrowind were playing as a healer and avoiding combat where possible.
Janette Segura

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:58 pm

Actually it did, RP stands for RolePlay [...]

I did not say the combat isn't "Role Play" based, did I? No, I didn't. I said it isn't based around standards of RPGs (i.e. character skill over player skill), and that it is instead based on action (i.e. player skill over character skill). While the words Role and Play are both found in Role-Playing Game, I should hope it's fairly obvious to anyone that in the context in which the phrase was used, it does not simply mean Role Play. :rolleyes:
Charlotte X

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:34 pm

With the TES series we have seen a shift going from more traditional "rpg-style" combat to a more action-oriented system.

I don't really agree with this statement. The only big difference in combat from Morrowind to Oblivion was a more "You get what you see" style. The combat felt pretty much the same (a little heavier feeling in Oblivion), but if I hit someone I would get credit for it. I wouldn't call that a shift in the direction of action-oriented any more then Morrowind.

With Oblivion this was taken a step further, even more action oriented with no "to miss" rolls, you hit something you hit it this time. However the combat still wasn't comparable to the great action games out there. It came off feeling "wishy washy." There was no real connection between you and the enemy you were fighting, you would run up to them, swing your sword hap-hazardly hacking away at someone., there was no real "dance" to the combat. Nothing like you'd picture if you read about a real sword fight or watched it on teh big screen.

And thats a good thing. I shouldn't be locked or glued to someone I am fighting... and part of the challenge of Oblivions combat is the fact you actually have to hit someone and pay attention, as opposed to spamming buttons until you win while the game does all the work.

The main things that are holding the combat back is the fact that the game uses first person. This is a big limiter to the combat because of the fact that as a developer, you don't want to constantly "disorient" the player, this leads to the movees and combat being kept down, there's no fancy acrobatic moves, no real lv changes in fights or anything. It just doesn't feel that "personal/impactful." Not to mention with first person views in games it drastically cuts off your peripheral vision, So things you might see/know if real life you simply don't because of the FOV/limitations of your monitor.

First things first... The Elder Scrolls first person view is one of the biggest draws the game has.

Second, if you are wearing a suit of armor, you are NOT going to be doing any fancy acrobatics. Hell, one thing I have always loved about TES games is the fact that the combat isn't over dramatic and filled with outrageous combat moves that all but a few people in the world couldn't possibly pull off. It has a far more realistic feel to it then pretty much every other action adventure/rpg game out there.

Also, you can still look around you know... just like you would have to in real life to know whats going on around you (FOV is not unlimited in real life). Being in third person lets you see far more then you could from a real life view.

There was one game that did this, and to this day it has imo the best Melee combat system to date, Severance (blade of darkness). In Severance the combat was fun and enjoyable. It placed a GREAT importance on being defensive (dodging, blocking, etc) and know when to attack and not.

Never played Severance, but from watching videos of it really quick it has the same combat as Zelda and Fable. Both games have good combat for the games they are but lock-on combat, forced 3rd person, and move based gameplay would make The Elder Scrolls V a completely different game. Again, you want to take out everything that makes TES games unique and turn it into a run of the mill action adventure game.

The next major improvement to combat was the Lock On system, now do not jump to conclusions here. When I say "lock on" most people here probably imagine a cheap "aim-assist/win" button. This was not true of severance at all. The lock on system was one of the best things because with the lock on system it made the importance of the defense even more so and also made it a pillar of combat, rather then an afterthought. It didn't feel cheap and it wasn't a "free hit" either.

Again never played Severance but its combat system does not seem very unique... and in every other game with a similar combat system (such as Fable) its an automatic win system for anyone who isn't absolutely horrible at the game.

With the lock on system when you locked on to your chosen foe (which you could easily switch/get out of) it merely kept you oriented toward them. This opened up a major change in movement, the circle strafing. Now for any of you who have watched fights in real life, boxing, MMA, etc you know that circling around your opponent is a very important part of combat. This was the case back in the middle ages as well. Without a lock on system you do NOT have a circle strafe, as movement still exists on a 2d-plane for mouse/keyboards. You would have to move /turn your mouse constantly to "mimic" a circle strafe in most games without a lock on system. However once you lock on to someone in Severance, your a/d key becomes a circle strafe. What this does is allow you to move around your enemy, to get a good angle for a hit, etc. You press it quickly twice for a dodge as well to move out of the way of blows.

When you fight in Oblivion, you have to face your opponent as well.... its just that YOU have to do it, and not the game doing it for you. I fail to see the need to automate this, other then to water the game down for people who lack coordination.

A few choice responses in red.

Bottom Line: First of all, the combat in Oblivion was fine and does not need drastic changes. The game was very popular, and was a huge hit... so Bethesda is simply not going to make drastic changes to a winning formula.

Yes, there probably will be some changes to the combat... but they likely will keep the basics that have made TES so popular. Bethesda is however NOT going to make changes that would basically turn the game into a watered down, button masher action adventure game. I understand you might not like the combat in TES games, but then you probably shouldn't play TES games. If you want action adventure, go play action adventure... don't try to turn a one of a kind game into a run of the mill game in an already crowded market.
Flesh Tunnel

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:22 pm

I like 1st person perspective.

who even likes the 3rd person? I thought that was just to look at our pretty armor...
Maeva

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:22 pm

Would this be something like the "Z-Targeting" in the 3D Legend of Zelda games? I think something like that could work, allowing for more combat options without added complexity.

Perhaps some kind of "lock on" to an opponent with attacks that are "die rolls" like Morrowind, but animated properly to show what is happening: a miss is a miss, parried/blocked/fumbled, etc.
Jake Easom

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:51 pm

Lock on does not equal easy, it's just a different way to approach an enemy. Not that I'm advocating the lock on bit, but I just wanted to get that out there.
Brandon Bernardi

Post » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:09 am

For those of you advocating rpg over action. Whta are you thoughts on Oblivion then? The series has already went "action" with oblivion, as far as combat goes. The hit was based on player skill, not character skill like in morrowind.

I am in NO way saying take the "rpg" out of the game, not at all, I love the RPG. I am just saying, with an action-rpg, which we already have with TES, having combat that is more in depth and offers a more fun tactical experience for the pler I would find more appealing. You can have both, it works fine in rpgs like Mass Effect, Mount and Blade, etc. All of which are action rpgs.

I doubt BEth would go from Oblivion style combat to an older more die-roll heavier system a l Morrowind.

Also as far as view goes. I said biefore, If you can do a combat system like I talk about IN first person, I'd be happy. However the problem with such things are the camera. When a player does a combat move that requires a spin or such, do you show this? Will it disorient the player or what?

This is why I feel that many first-person games that do combat (IE OBlivion, Dark Messiah, Zeno Clash) have a bit of a "shallow" feel to them. They can be fun yes, and the games themselves are great. The combat however lacks real depth behind it, as far as player skill goes.

A few choice responses in red.

Bottom Line: First of all, the combat in Oblivion was fine and does not need drastic changes. The game was very popular, and was a huge hit... so Bethesda is simply not going to make drastic changes to a winning formula.

Yes, there probably will be some changes to the combat... but they likely will keep the basics that have made TES so popular. Bethesda is however NOT going to make changes that would basically turn the game into a watered down, button masher action adventure game. I understand you might not like the combat in TES games, but then you probably shouldn't play TES games. If you want action adventure, go play action adventure... don't try to turn a one of a kind game into a run of the mill game in an already crowded market.

As I said in detail in my post. Lock on, as in Severance and how I mention it, isn't an "I win" button.

The combat is NOTHING like fable, at all. In fable you just spam attacks galore, there is 0 depth to the combat of Fable games.

IN severance, the combat was much much more in depth. You had a LOT of different moves, which changed depending on what weapon you were using (IE Swords/hammers had different move sets, advantages/weaknesses/speeds).

The "lock on" mechanic as it is in Severance is used mainly so that you keep an orientation to your target, however once you start doing an attack or move, the animation plays out in that specific direction. This allows enemies to dodge, block, etc and the same goes for you. You HAD to read your enemies, you couldn't just "button mash" your way, enemies would dodge attacks, block them, etc. Whereas for you, this opened up counters. When you say an enemy coming in to oattack you a quick strafe left/dodge out of the way was important, then you could open a counter attack on them after they missed.

Without a lock on mechanic you lose circle strafing and instead, because of the limitations of the 2d-plane of a mouse you have to constantly change your view/movement, instead of doing it with a/d keys which is easier and better controlled.
chirsty aggas

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:15 pm

I liked the Oblivion action system. Nice and fluid. My only gripes were the player swinging the weapon one more time before finally blocking, after getting up from being knocked down. The opponent being able to block with shield after they get knocked down and maybe let agility actually have an impact on how much you get staggered. It didn't seem to make a difference in Oblivion. Too much staggering.

Edit: I never really had a problem aiming in 3rd person view. So if there is "auto-aim" or lock on target, it should be an option/ optional.
Edit2: if it hasn't been mentioned yet. Maybe have locational damage like instant kills if lodging an arrow in an opponent's head. Dual wielding sounds fun too. If a guard gets to use a shield, a rogue should be able to dual wield, and a wizard use a battlestaff?
SiLa

Post » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:06 pm

Demons Souls - greatest fighting mechanism ever
Louise Dennis

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim