Fighting Styles - Please...

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:59 am

So, not every sword (weapon for that matter) is meant to slash diagonally down from right to left...I'd like to see specific fighting styles dependent on your weapons. For example, a quick thrusting action when using a rapier (yea yea, it's the only wording i had at the time). Also, retrievable (sp?) throwing weapons. That is all
Zach Hunter

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:03 am

Yeah same here, in Oblivion I always wanted to be able to fight differently with different weapons, or learn different fighting styles from different masters or something like becoming an Ansei, it would also make the combat system quite fresh since every open world game seems to have the same animations for the same weapons.
Roddy

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:56 pm

bump, and I think you have a couple of great points - I beat devil may cry in 2 hours and it had more fighting variation than oblivion
Davorah Katz

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:14 am

That would be pretty cool. I think a novice of blade would still have to slash and swing with a rapier.
Captian Caveman

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:07 am

I think we need different damage types. Blunt weapons could decrease stamina and severely damage the armour, swords could cause bleeding etc. Also, it would be good if you could do slashes, thrusts and cuts, as in Morrowind, but unlike in Morrowind, they could cause different effects and various armours could have different "resistance" values against different type of hits.
FoReVeR_Me_N

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:12 am

love your ideas, i just wonder how likely it will be that bethesda redoes its combat system...although they should judging by the number of threads discussing it
Cartoon

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:01 pm

Agreed.

I want more emphasis on sword techniques. You shouldn't baseball-bat an Akiviri Katana the way you would a mace; your character should develop a stance, and proper striking form as your blade skill increases and you get training in different styles. Disarming opponents should be almost like a combo-move. (keep in mind that I'm thinking in terms of console-gamepads) Imagine that you block your enemy's hit at just the right moment, and then strike a spit-second later while turning your right thumbstick in a circle for a successful disarm; Moving forward in a quick burst, and holding the trigger down results in a thrust that will pierce their armor, but leaves you open if you don't have a shield; if you block and hold the left trigger, crouch, and then hold the right trigger, you can duck down and stab your enemy in the gut. It's things like this, if not exactly like this, that I think would make for a much more player-skill based, and a much more involved combat-system. Character skill level should only increase strike-damage, footwork (you should get harder to disarm and knock-down as your skill increases), and the number of aforementioned combos the player can use (your character could learn more as he raises in skill, and they could be recorded in the journal).

Put the console-controller to good use (that is possible, you know).

NOTE: I posted this in another thread about combat, but said thread is now dead (on the second page). (Rhyme partially intended.)
Louise

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:09 am

Yeah, in Oblivion there were basically two normal attacks and four power attacks that all weapons shared... You could even do a ridiculous thrust attack with a hammer.

When people say "combo" they always think of a crazy fighting game technique where some cool move is unleashed at the end, but I like to think of it as branching attacks, where one attack can potentially branch into different ones and so one.
Stace

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:50 pm

I must be the only one who doesnt have a problem with the oblivion combat.
Adam Porter

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:56 pm

I think we need different damage types. Blunt weapons could decrease stamina and severely damage the armour, swords could cause bleeding etc. Also, it would be good if you could do slashes, thrusts and cuts, as in Morrowind, but unlike in Morrowind, they could cause different effects and various armours could have different "resistance" values against different type of hits.

I agree. Swords should cause bleeding. When you make someone bleed they should either fly into a blind rage, berserker style at the sight of their own blood, or panic and become woozy.

And if you hit someone in the head with a mace, they should at least become dazed.
electro_fantics

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:41 pm

That would be pretty cool. I think a novice of blade would still have to slash and swing with a rapier.

Perhaps, but with a cut and thrust sword it'd be a different matter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rfWRnLSA7s&feature=related
Victoria Bartel

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:40 pm

Yeah especially daggers need work. They were so... Stupid in oblivion...
JaNnatul Naimah

Return to V - Skyrim