Fallout 3 + Windows 10 = Match Made In Heaven?

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:12 pm

I know, the title is totally bizare and I'm sure a bunch of people are wonder what in the world I'm talking about. Well, heres the story.

1.) Years ago I purchased FO3 GOTY via Steam on my machine running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Nothing but trouble. Crashed every 5 minutes, etc etc. Horrid.

2.) Found this forum after a few months of crying myself to sleep every night, and did the whole "make a seperate folder, download GFWL, change INI files". That made it work. Kind of. It would last a good 20-30 minutes before crashing. Every 20-30 minutes, crash. Obviously, a good advancement, but still not worthy of getting me to struggle to play the game.

Well, years went by. And I ended up building myself a new computer. Installed Win7 on it, and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit. As of today, I once again installed FO3 GOTY via Steam. I followed the instructions SOMEWHAT, and started playing. 203 minutes (3.38 Hours) into the game, I decided to quit for the night. Not 1 freeze. Not 1 glitch (appart from the ones the game came with hehe) and not 1 crash. The game ran flawlessly. So, heres the list of what I did as well as my current rig, in case it makes a difference.

1.) Download and Install GFWL. Wait for it to finish. Open the program (where it shows the sign-in screen) then exit the program.

2.) Install FO3 GOTY via steam. Wait for it to finish. I suggest not doing anything in the meantime, but I can't verify that makes a difference. I left my computer alone during the install.

3.) Once installed, run the game. Change game settings to your liking. Do not press play. Exit once setting things like you want.

4.) Run game again. Press play. Wait for the main screen to load.

5.) Exit game. Run game once again.

6.) Start new game. Play a little bit (10-20 mins), then exit again.

7.) Run game once again. Play until you're done playing.

Obviously I don't know if you have to follow those steps exactly, but I put exactly what I did, and apparently it seemed to work for me. Note: I DID NOT touch the ini files!

--- My Rig ---

AMD A8-7600 3.1GHz (GIGABYTE GA-F2A88X-D3H FM2+ Motherboard)

Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Version

Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) 1866 RAM

Corsair HX650 PSU

Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Jerry Jr. Ortiz

Post » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:25 am

I feel like you are getting a cigar, smoking it a bit, then blowing the smoke in my face and then putting the cigar out on my eyeball.

I too have been through the ropes in regards to the Steam Fallout 3 GOTY edition and had nothing but crashes during vats/outside of vats/ before vats. During loading screens and just freezes. Its just not fun and Im also runing Win 10 64bit.

Shianne Donato

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:04 pm

I figured it was just a fluke, so I played it again tonight. A little over 1 hour, again not a single issue.

I'm wondering if its a hardware thing. I don't know why it would matter, but maybe my APU is a godsend for non-compatible games.

Carlos Vazquez

Return to Fallout 3