Minigun character bad idea due to lack of ammo?

Post » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:03 am

Hey everybody,

This is my third toon i've started thats at about 16 and i just made friends with Fawkes in the storyline. My first one was a shotgun/AK user but i wanted to try out a minigun build. I dont want to run any mods and i wanted to get my ammo just scavenging what i can. But if i restrict myself in that way will i always have a hard time getting 5mm ammo? I have Eugene, blastmaker helmet, and have my big guns at 97 right now (didnt want to wait for books) via maxed big guns perk and the other perk that puts a trait +15. Even with that amount of damage a super mutant still takes about 60-80 shots to take down. And even with frequent visits to every vendor that sells 5mm i still find myself short a lot of times.

So was making a minigun only toon a bad idea? i have missile launchers and a flamer but i didnt want to use them but it looks like i might have to now just so that i dont go through 5mm so fast.

Enie van Bied

Post » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:10 am

I think relying on one weapon is the issue. Sure, the game is about scarcity of resources and leveraging what you have to achieve the goals that you want, but there is also setting yourself up for failure too. Even the terminator put down his Mini Gun and used a pistol when the situation warranted it. So, pick a second weapon to use for those smaller fights, and then bring out the big gun for those that need it. What you use for the smaller fights is up to you, Grenades, Pistol, Laser, Flame Thrower, etc. Maybe a missile launcher, but I always blow myself up using it a close range.

Jeff Tingler

Post » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Fallout 3 dont have enough ammo.

Stupid game.

Anna S

Post » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:11 pm

You can get all the ammo you need with the Gary 23 glitch in Operation Anchorage. Taking the 3 damage perks helps increase your damage a lot-Bloody Mess, Stand your Ground, and Ghoul Ecology(which affects everything not just ghouls).

hannah sillery

Post » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:21 am

The only Weapon I did not have Ammunition issues with in Fallout 3 is Burnmaster. If I choose to get a DLC added Weapon often I can use the Unique Weapon exclusively for the entire Game, but My character may not know which Vendors tend to stock Ammunition.

The Pitt DLC can make feeding a Minigun viable.

Stace

Post » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:14 pm

I feel like 5mm ammo is actually quite common, just behind 5.56mm. I was able to accumulate a thousand something rounds not too far into the game some playthroughs. But CCNA makes a point. It's best to have a handful of other weapons that you use, not rely on a single one. Otherwise ammo will run out quickly, especially with a minigun that burns through it. If you haven't gotten it already, the scrounger perk could help get you more ammo from containers. I don't know the exact specifics to how useful it really is, but it felt like I was getting a lot more ammo. Or so I like to think.

Sophie Morrell

Post » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:37 am

I know you said you didn't want to use mods, but I would suggest one: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/4144/? It is completely nonsensical to me that Raiders would only store ammo in a container once, and never again. After we clear out a Raider camp are the new Raiders who move in going to keep ammo in their pockets for the rest of eternity? "Oh dear, I can't put my extra ammo in that box! It's been opened!" :rofl:

This mod will give you a decent chance to play the character concept the way you envision it. This is precisely what mods are for, in my opinion.

Keeley Stevens

Post » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:19 am

There's the ammo press in the pitt, all the damage increasing perks especially superior defender and ghoul ecology which turn weapons like the minigun into basically god mode even on v.hard. It might not be that viable a build early on but once you amass enough ammo and do the pitt to unlock the press then you're laughing.
Vickytoria Vasquez

Return to Fallout 3