Weird light on mesh

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:48 pm

As the title says - I got some weird light on the mesh that shows only at some angle and I don't know what's causing it. On these picture you can see it very clearly:

http://s12.postimg.org/5orghy9xl/Untitled_2.jpghttp://s10.postimg.org/osrzftn4l/Untitled_1.jpg

I think it's something related to textures, but I may be wrong. BTW, this is not affecting only one mesh but also my other custom meshes.

Please help if somebody knows what does it mean.

Regards.

A.

adam holden

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:48 pm

I can't see anything in those pics you posted, they are too small.

you can upload your nif here or pm me and I can look at it.

but i'll go over the basics.

First, are you sure your mesh isn't intersecting with another mesh? This happens alot when you use an alpha transparancy, the bounds of the mesh will create artifacting with anything else. Really noticeable once you put a light to it.

second, are your textures mapped correctly in nifskope? if you have something in the 3 or 4th slot it can act like a specular / glow map which will cause it to interact with light. 1st slot is for diffuse, 2nd slot is for your normal.

third, have you adjusted your specularity on your normal map? I can't see the pics, but it can make your mesh too shiny in some cases.

Trish

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:25 am

Thanks for reply... and I'm sorry, I accidentally posted thumbnails here. Here are the correct ones:

http://postimg.org/image/5orghy9xl/http://postimg.org/image/osrzftn4l/

And here are both the *.nif + texture from the pictures above:

https://www.mediafire.com/?2191l5ymw5s67bh

Now to your points:

1st: No, my mesh is not intersecting with anything. It happens on my several other meshes too, and it would be the most coincidence.

2nd: Actually, I didn't map anything. All I did was this: Imported the original mesh to Blender -> Edited the mesh to my desirable form -> Exported the mesh. Regarding to textures: I just connected my edited diffuse map in NifSkope. As you can see, the normal map is unchanged.

3rd: Same as above - I didn't do anything to normal map.

MatthewJontully

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:31 pm

try removing the NiAlphaProperty on 7 NiTriShape block, you don't need it.

everything is mapped correctly, so this might be artifacting in your geck. Are you using ENB? Have you tested this in game?

The other possibility is your collision; i'm surprised your collision works tbh. Did you piece these together from existing game assets? or how did you get packedStripeShape collisions on there?

personally i would put new, single collision on the entire mesh, as its supposed to be.

SexyPimpAss

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:04 pm

That might be a problem with vertex colours. I took a look at the nif and there are a lot of white verticies in there, which doesn't look right.
Charlotte Buckley

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:21 am

Ohh, JW1 is probably right!

I tried to remove unwanted vertex colors (that was black, of course) by painting the opposite color (that is white, of course :D). I thought that it's like with alpha channels, but vice versa - black is visible, white is invisible.

So how do I remove those unwanted vertex paint color? I suppose I could change the value "yes" to "no" in NiTriStripsData but I personally think it's too drastic way and there has to be another/better way to achieve it...

And BTW, how it's even possible that you can see those white vertex colors painted, but not me? :blink: I feel really ashamed because I stated in previous topic (with that nasty scripts :D) that I mainly focus on graphics things... :blush:

Regarding that collision: Why are you surprised, marthgun? You never saw a multi-collision object before? Even the original mesh had multi-collision - that's how it suppose to be. It would be very weird, for example, if rails had HAV_MAT_STONE, don't you think? :wink:

Sista Sila

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:47 pm

I've never seen it in it nested in its own NiNode before; skyrim puts collision under the trishape, whereas here i assumed multiple collisions were under a single root. But i hadn't actually looked at any other meshes in fallout 3 with multiple collisions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B858bpwZmkmiMTI3SFBhQXhncE0/view?usp=sharing

I weilded the verts just in case and set a singular mid grey tone to the vertex colors; you'll probably have to remap some of the textures i'm not sure, it looks the same but compare the two, and check this out in game.

Also if you check the collision, i'm not sure my 3ds max exporter can export the moppy packed strip shape collision, but it can do normal strips, so if it removes the glare but the collision doesn't work, i'll re export it for you.

Joie Perez

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:47 pm

its not the vertex paint, although, painting it grey like i did may have covered it up for the most part, on the bottom section of the railway you had 3 bad faces. I've run into this problem before but i don't remember what the name for it is; iirc it happens on export to obj. Idk if you exported this as an obj at one point, but anyway, you have to delete the faces. I didn't notice it at first because when they originally exported the mesh they had left on the vertex color display, which washed the entire mesh out. I tried adding new materials to test it out with lighting but none of it was showing in the viewport. I manually removed the vertex color through max script and then it showed up; and you can clearly see 3 of the faces are darkened as if they had vertex colors baked on, but its not vertex colors, at least i've never seen vertex colors on a vertice that could be replaced or removed. deleting the face and capping a new one on will work.

Laura Hicks

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:28 am

You're right - it's not caused by vertex color. I just removed all vertex colors in NifSkope and that weird light is still present. So back to your first suggestions:

try removing the NiAlphaProperty on 7 NiTriShape block,  you don't need it.

NiAlphaProperty was added by original creators of the mesh, so I suppose there's no reason to tinker with that. Anyway, NiAlphaProperty is only applied for rails, but that strange light is mostly visible on the wall.

everything is mapped correctly, so this might be artifacting in your geck. Are you using ENB?  Have you tested this in game?

I don't understand - if everything is mapped correctly, why it's artifacting in GECK? No, I'm not using any ENB. And yes, I tested that in game - and it's the same as it's in GECK - it's only visible from some angle. Very, very weird.

Star Dunkels Macmillan

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:19 pm

the NiAlphaProperty is used almost exclusively for transparency on the Alpha channel of your dds.

deleteing it would have very little effect; it can be used to affect lighting, but its almost unnoticeable difference. I tested a bunch of it; and i'm not even sure you it does anything without an Alpha channel on your map. And none of the textures on your mesh have an alpha channel.

Anyways, read my last post. It's the faces. It's very obvious. I can send you a copy of the fixed version. But you need to really check your import/export options if you're bringing it into blender.

anna ley

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:09 am

Maybe normal map has an alpha channel - I can't check it because I'm not currently at home.

I still don't know what faces are you talking about, but did you compare my mesh with original mesh (mettuncurvewide01)? If those faces are "bad" also in original mesh, I think that's not the problem we're looking for. ;) Not mention about that you've found problematic faces on rails, but that light is also on the wall (and probably on the ceiling too).

You're very kind that you want to send me the file, but I'd like to fix it by myself (at home) because... well, you know - I'm trying to learn something. :) In other words - if you send me the corrected file, I didn't learn anything. :) Of course, scripting is the different story. :D

Emmie Cate

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:05 pm

almost every normal map has an alpha channel, its used as the specular map. Its not going to cause the problem.

without 3ds max, you may not be able to see the problem, because bethesda used 3ds max to make the mesh. plus it may be messing up your faces on export from blender.

did you try the first mesh i sent you?

Leah

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:17 am

Yes, I looked at that, but I don't like 2 things about that:

1. one material collision

2. rails are too dark

Bethany Watkin

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:52 pm

Alright, I figured out what's causing the problem. But I don't know how to solve it. It's not caused by wrong mesh or wrong textures. It's caused by LIGHTNING in GECK. What is even more weird, is the fact, that even NO LIGHT strikes the mesh, that awful glare is appearing anyhow! I suppose it's the game engine problem, so there's no way to solve it. :sad:

Britney Lopez

Return to Fallout 3