Question about Robot Propulsion

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:43 am

For both my first New Vegas playthrough and my first FO3 playthrough, I played a slick, sneaky tech guru who could sneak into a building, hack the mainframe, and sneak back out, and they both love love loved robots, just like me. However, I used ED-E in New Vegas, but not Sarge in FO3. Why? Because ED-E's small size and sparing noise made him fit well with my sneaky playstyle, while Sarge's big bulky thruster and clunky build made him more of a liability than anything. And that got me thinking; why the hell does the Mister series need these thruster when eyebots and floating eyes can just hover around as they please? I always felt that having a Mr. Handy around the house would be more of a nuisance than anything - I would always worry about my floor/feet getting burned, or one of his arms malfunctioning and destroying things. It happened on the Wanderer's 10th birthday, who's to say it wasn't a common occurrence? Meanwhile the eyebot can bebop around ignoring the laws of physics like they're nothing. Why? A small, silent robot would arguably be more suited for housework, and yet that cephalopodic safety hazard managed to become the face of Robco. How? Why? Why aren't there more silent robots to fit my cyberpunk playstyle? I hope there are some in FO4.

Charles Weber

Return to Fallout Series Discussion