Fallout NV Not Working in Windows 10

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi,

I installed Windows 10 yesterday, and the upgrade from Win8.1 went mostly very well. Fallout 3 works, but Fallout NV does not work. I tried all the various compatibility modes from WinXP, Vista, Win7, Win8 and none would launch the game.

When I launch the game by either the Launcher or the .exe method I get the error message that the Fallout New Vegas Launcher Has Stopped Working. The game doesn't even start.

I have no idea what to do next for troubleshooting. Maybe someone here has some idea of how I can fix this problem? I'm all ears. Oh, eyes.

Fritz

Danny Blight

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:12 pm

Please post a Dxdiag in spoiler tags - http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1122570-how-to-dxdiag/

Have you restarted your computer since updating to 10? I updated myself last night, and had to restart after the installation in order for Windows to load my video (Nvidia) drivers - the computer was just using the generic Windows graphics drivers. Once I restarted it I was able to launch New Vegas and my other games without any problems.

ETA - are you using any mods? If so, please post a load order as well.

Tanya Parra

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:28 pm

Yeah, I've rebooted several times, and also I've shut down and did a restart. I have no mods installed. I also downloaded and installed the latest video card drivers from AMD. I thought maybe the graphics drivers were a problem, but apparently not. I have a Radeon 7750 video card. The game plaed nicely in Windows 8.1 using that card. I'm lost.

Fritz

Haley Merkley

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:41 pm

Have you checked for Video Card drivers from amd/ati, Quite often when an OS is released it might not have the proper drivers for the card.

Kelly John

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:23 am

Definitely check your driver version like Erzherzoghans mentioned - AMD's Windows 10 driver version is 15.7.1.

One of things I've noticed from poking around the 'net is that Windows tries to update your video drivers to the latest version on its own, but doesn't always do a very good job installing them.

If that doesn't work, a couple of other things you can try are -

• Validating your local files through Steam.
  • Deleting your Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini files located in your My Documents\My Games\Fallout New Vegas folder. The game will then generate new defaults of these.
Ally Chimienti

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:56 am

As stated, I've already installed the latest drivers from AMD. The game can't reestablish the two .ini files if deleted, because the game won't launch. Read my first post.

How do I validate my local files through Steam? I looked around Steam and I can't see anyway to do that. I'd like to take a crack at doing that procedure.

Fritz

asako

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:33 pm

Where is the game installed at and are you running the launcher with admin rights

Melung Chan

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:11 pm

Game installed:

Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam Apps\common\fallout new vegas

Yes I have admin rights. I run as admin.

Fritz

meghan lock

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:55 pm

I believe it is best not to have the game installed in Programs folder that might be blocking the game from accessing the files it needs to or for creating the files it needs.

Madison Poo

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:37 am

In your Steam library, right-click Fallout: New Vegas; select Properties at the bottom of the menu. Click the Local Files tab, then click the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache ..." button. Steam will scan your game installation and install any files that are missing or changed from default. You may get a message that one file failed to be acquired - this happens quite a bit and the message can be ignored.

Gen Daley

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:57 pm

Erzherzoghans,

You may be right, but the game has always been installed in Program Files (x86), and it has always worked well until I installed Win10 yesterday. The problem seems to have something to do with installing Win10, but what?

To resolve this problem, I may have to reinstall FNV. I have an original retail copy of the game DVD. Even so, when after installing from the DVD, I still have to download content from Steam. I hate to go through all that. It takes a long time to accomplish a reinstall when you can't just do it from the DVD like in former times.

I dunno.

Fritz

BlackaneseB

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:39 am

Gater Country,

Thanks, I validated my local files and got this message:

"1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired."

The game still didn't launch. Bummer!

Fritz

Spooky Angel

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:32 am

Try setting up the game to be installed to a different library location. That can be done within Steam.

Have you tried a clean boot

Latino HeaT

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:44 pm

At this point you may have no choice but to try reinstalling the game. :confused: It probably couldn't hurt anything by trying to delete or rename those two .ini files; maybe something in one or both of them was corrupted, and removing them or renaming them will allow the game to run long enough to regenerate new ones.

The only issue I've had since updating to Windows 10 was with Fallout 2 - the game launches and runs, but it won't load any of my saves. And it's been so long since I played FO2 that this might be a problem that predates my Win 10 upgrade.

Lizzie

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:16 pm

Thanks all for the comments. I was hoping for a miracle, but those are hard to find.

Fritz

x a million...

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:01 pm

A remote posibility, sometimes works with me PC XP, when things not quite running as they should.

Doing a disk check for errors, it's like checking that all the files are still pointing to the correct locations, and other possible errors, and auto fix any errors. The machine at least goes a lot faster not having to search for files. It's simple to check as you probably know.

Rclick My computer explore
RC disk on C or wherever.... properties.... tools....error checking, check now

click the box "automatically fix file system errors"....... start....ok..... it should reboot and fix them.

Windows 10 probably has the equivalent way of checking

Heather Dawson

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:46 am

Best thing to do is dual boot WIndows 10 at this point.

Jerry Jr. Ortiz

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:47 pm

All,

I had to reinstall the game twice to get it working. In the first reinstall, I only removed the game content from the Steam folder in C:\Program Files (x86). I then reinstalled not only from the game DVD that I own, but also I downloaded content from Steam (had to). This process took a long time using my slow (1.5 meg DSL). When finished, I noted that all my old Saves had been reestablished in Documents > Fallout New Vegas > Saves, even though I had deleted them before reinstalling. Apparently Steam keeps duplicates of the game on their servers. I didn't know this. However, I launched the newly reinstalled game and got the same error message as before: Fallout New Vegas Launcher has stopped working. Oh, no! Tears streaming down my face. Not really.

No amount of fiddling with the settings and what have you resolved the problem. I searched the Internet and found several posts by users having the same problem. I tried all of the fixes suggested by those users and which had worked for them. Even so, none of those fixes worked for me. I spent a long time messing with this.

After that, I decided to take Erzherzoghans's (post above) advice and reinstall to a different directory/folder. I removed all Steam entries in C:\Program Files (x86), and also I removed the Steam folder itself. I left no trace of anything relating to Steam in that location. I then cleaned the registry using ccleaner, removing all references (I hoped) to Steam in the registry. I also removed the game folder containing the .ini files and the Saves located in Documents (again). I then defragged the hard drive and rebooted. I thought this process would clean all items for the game and Steam from my system, along with any glitches causing my issue.

I then reinstalled the game to C:\Steam from the game DVD, and then I downloaded the rest from the Steam website (no way around this). Again, this took several hours. When everything finished reinstalling for the second time, I launched the game and received no errors. The game took off with no issues. Again, all my old Saves had been reestablished in the Fallout NV folder in Documents. I played the game starting from my last Save made in the old game that had been removed. Steam knows everything we do in that game. Go figure.

Fritz

Hayley O'Gara

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:04 pm

You can disable the steam cloud if you want. I always do since they have caused me more headaches with the game saves, especially when you play with mods.

Crystal Clarke

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:51 pm

It's too bad it took a reinstall to get it working, but I'm glad you got it sorted out.
adame

Return to Fallout: New Vegas