First Very hard hardcoe play through

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:02 am

After all this time im finally doing one! why havent i earlier? because i am quite possibly the second laziest creature in existence! Before i start asking a few questions, just some random notes on how im doing so far and my SPECIAL stats.

S-1

P-7

E-7

C-5

I-7

A-8 (Took small frame because im a masochist)

L-7

Because iv managed to do so in the past on hard mode, i tried to sequence break a bit and grab Raul at black mountain. at level 4. died twice trying to make it to the shanty town and just decided to call it quits on that for now.

My first dedicated energy weapons build, actually going pretty well so far. Ammo's pretty heavy to carry around with a one strength build, but being able to recycle it has proven pretty useful so far with ED-E

As of right now, im level 6 at the NCRCF just waiting to betray the powder gangers.

Alright time for questions.

i remember someone posting about how ash piles never actually get cleaned up and just bloat your save file? i know theres fixes for this on PC but sadly im stuck on the PS3, where im already getting some instability even though im basically playing wasteland maid and picking up every single tin can i can.

im still debating weapons i can use for end game, right now im considering either the holorifle or the laser rifle, so i'd like to hear y'all two cents on that.

how the hell does giving ED-E a stimpack heal him?

And finally, if you have any random tips to give me on this, i'd be most thankful.

Steeeph

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:48 pm

Energy weapons on console is pretty much by default a 'You're in trouble' because ash piles don't vanish, a problem from Fallout 3 and Skyrim as well too. So if you're going to stick with energy guns, you may as well svck it up and get used to it. But the Holorifle is pretty good about NOT leaving ash piles.

As for ED-E, 'Mysteries'.

Random Tips:

Don't vote for the NCR Mouse, root for House!

A suppressed Anti-Material Rifle can go far against Deathclaw if your build is just right.

Rifles can be your friend even without perks. The Medicine Stick is my go to weapon atm.

Sherry Speakman

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:42 am

well on hardcoe mode companions can die, but they heal after fights so you really don't need to give them stimpacks much. Anything that is going to kill your companions during a quick battle (deathclaws, etc) a quick stimpack isn't going to make a difference. And after the fight they will heal up fine anyway and don't need stims. I never put stims on my companions it's just not needed.

Plus you still have your saved games, and players will just reload a hard battle if a companion dies. With saves, charisma boosts, etc your companions are fine unless you get jumped by a gang of deathclaws, and usually then they are still fine as long as YOU are decent enough in combat. Plus going into a hard fight you can use some charisma boosting temp items to up their survival even more for that hard fight.

Ashley Hill

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:01 am

I honestly would look at survival as a skill, personally (even as a "just put points into as you can" skill). hardcoe you need all the food and water to solve your 'needs' not to mention that you also need room in your inventory for ammunition.

Kari Depp

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:07 am

Is there another way to play this game? =p

well, fully mod laser rifle with the perks (laser commander, better criticals, finesse, set lasers for fun) it's something hard to explain. You have to see for yourself, but trust me. You will be amazed.

Its really, REALLY broken.

edit: but use it outside the Vats. If you only play with vats, go with holorifle.
Cartoon

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:55 pm

After some Dead Money blackjack with the weapon repair kit recipe for the vending machines, the LAER also can be awesome with those perks. It is annoying to repair it all the time though.

Alkira rose Nankivell

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:44 am

i dont use VATS unless i get jumped, it feels too much like letting the game do the killing for me.

iv been, although sneak and energy weapons have been my focus for the past few level ups. the needing food, water, and sleep really isnt an issue for me.

Vicki Blondie

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:52 am

My first hardcoe play through was ....how should I put it....rather HARD
Eileen Müller

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:34 pm

Is there another way to play it.

Of course, with no companions and no VATS on very hard.

Have I done it, no, I did start like that but not being a masochist like Ghost above, I changed it to just plain hard.

With a 5 Strength and 1 Luck.

I'm doing ok. but very hard could be done.

Madison Poo

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:58 pm

I'm doing a very hard, hardcoe, no hud playthrough with early bird, and claustrophobia! check out the footage and give your opinion on it! Check my profile for a link to my youtube channel!

Reven Lord

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:24 pm

there isnt a huge difference actually, most everything has been going down in about the same amount of time as it would on hard, the biggest issue was that early on a sneak attack headshot with the varmint rifle wouldnt kill powder gangers. although with vigilant recycler and a laser rifle, im tearing through most enemies at a good speed for level 10.

Ridhwan Hemsome

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:52 am

Energy weapons are monsters, but the ammo weights a bit too much.
Matt Terry

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:29 am

cant argue with that, although with vigilant recycler and ED-E, i can make a few dozen rounds of ammo last quite a while.

barbara belmonte

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:57 pm

When starting hardcoe mode, simple golden rule:

Always get that Barter up to 70. ALWAYS. ASAP, no questions asked, because quite frankly, the perk that demands it is a lifesaver, known as Pack Rat. Makes lugging around easier, makes ammo manageable, and is pretty much a must-have for Energy Weapons users.

second rule: Focus on Survival. It's not about the food, water, and sleep, far from it...it's about the HEALING effects. Survival recipes will always trump Stimpak healing, the only thing stimpaks have advantage of us their lack of weight. Other then that, they're nost useful in Very-Hard fights unless you combo them with Survival foods for that 'nearly unstoppable' feeling.

If you want to make the game a complete joke, get Them's Good Eatin'....I'm not joking, that perk out of everything is considered the 'godmode' perk.

louise hamilton

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:04 am

I've never bothered with getting pack rat or even ever putting a point in barter and have done just fine.

Even with the further reduced carrying capacity from JSawyer mod I've not had that much difficulty. The key being companion pack mules that lug all the spoils of war, and carrying lead that ED-E can turn into heavier ammo as needed. The mod does make optimized energy ammo weigh less so you can carry more. The things that weigh a bunch for what they bring are explosive weapons like grenade launchers, missile launchers and their ammo. Shotgun shells are also pretty heavy, especially with a riot gun when you can blast them out pretty damn fast, but they do put a lot of hurting out in a hurry.

A sniper rifle, knife/chainsaw, pistol, garbage rifle in 5.56mm, heavy rifle in .308, possibly a shotgun, 9mm submachinegun, a few grenades and mines, a few water bottles and a few gecko steaks along with 100 or so rounds for each weapon is workable with an above average strength and a backpack. No room for loot but that is what your friends are there for. Energy users can make use of the ammo less recharger pistol for trash encounters to further extend their ammo

In general I find that putting out more and faster damage trumps trying to out heal incoming damage. Once the fight is won you can just gulp down 10 kg of sunset sarsaparilla and heal back at your leisure. I either want to engage at the max drawing range with a sniper or laser rifle or get right up in their grill with a chainsaw, preferably from stealth. Anything in between tends to take incoming fire and on very hard it does not take much to put you down. I especially hate those damn powder gangers and their dynamite, pretty much guaranteed to cripple you every time.

Victor Oropeza

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:40 pm

I'm not ready to try this yet, but am following the discussion. At some point I want to VH/hardcoe the game just because sooner or later I always do that.

Killer McCracken

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:02 pm

My style in hardcoe is simple: Light loadout, and critical hits. If I use a light loadout, then I do not need to remove weight from most items just because it would be nice. Maybe IF I was playing a treasure hunter/collector/hoarder character. Also by keeping hits to criticals, I do not need 1000s of units of ammunition (though the disintegration aspect of laser weapons is annoying).

Joanne Crump

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:11 pm

What do you call a 'light loadout'?

How do you keep to only critical hits? Do you mean you primarily engage from stealth?

What do you term a 'treasure hunter/collector/hoarder' type character?

With every character I always pick up items with a high resale value or that are beneficial, never considered them or me to be hoarders just being frugal.

Josh Lozier

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:27 am

1) Light loadout is basically do not carry tons of weapons, stick to only 1-3 (Main, side, and/or melee) weapons and light armor, to make more room for other stuff, and do not loot armors from enemies at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Well, "mainly" crits from stealth and high crit chance. Plus, I plan to use energy weapons so it works out much better.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) I term a treasure hunter/collector/hoarder as one who just collects the unique ones (it is more of a RP thing really, a mentality) Loves all the cool stuff, sells the crap.

Hope that answers all your questions.

Scarlet Devil

Return to Fallout: New Vegas