The FP-38 Liberator in Context

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:45 am

I have an idea for a mod that I will be making for New Vegas and Fallout 4. I'd like it if someone could help me brainstorm it's place in the setting. I am completely new to the setting still, but I'm enthusiastic about contributing!

The Real History

The FP-45 Liberator was the brainchild of American soldiers during the Second World War. They figured that, while the Allies attacked the Nazis from the sky and from the sea, the oppressed peoples of Europe ought to be able to fight for themselves. And so, they came up with a gun design that was cheap, easy to make, easy to use and easy to transport. It would be the ideal gun! That is, if you don't mind not being able to shoot accurate further than a few yards, having a manual case extraction system and being able to use it only 50 times at most before becoming unusable. It wasn't meant to be a replacement, though. A guerrilla fighter would need only one point-blank shot to neutralize a better armed Nazi from behind and then take the German weapons for himself.

Famously, making a new FP-45 Liberator was faster than it's average reload time. The latter was admittedly abysmal, but the record-setting gun manufacture rate was still hugely impressive. In two and a half months, three-hundred workers produced 1,000,000 Liberators intended for plane-drops over France. That is where their story ended, though. In storage in Brittain, no drop plane was spared to drop what were essentially miscellaneous objectives, preferring to bomb strategic targets. Years the collection of a million pieces of shoddy steel were shipped from warehouse to warehouse, sometimes to the point that people would rather pay to get rid of them than let them take up valuable storage.

History in Fallout

My idea for the Fallout universe is that the NCR might mass produce these guns to arm citizens against people like the Khans and the Legion. Perhaps as a parting gift to anyone who leaves the NCR's territory or a means for slaves to revolt against the Legion. However, I am not sure if that's within their MO.

The original design was modified to carry a different ammunition; the more common .38 in Fallout 4. Perhaps some different ammunition in New Vegas, I don't know. It's uncommon, but some assassins wield several of these guns in a bandolier in addition to their usual weapons. Quick on the draw and, despite it's otherwise fallibility, this gun simply cannot jam. If neccesary, the assassin can resort to drawing and shooting several Liberators after another and then tossing them into radioactive waste, never to be linked to the murder. After all, the gun is only twice as expensive as a pack of .38s.

Some attempts have been made to make this desperate weapon slightly more practical; the FP-38 Two-Shooter has a slide to enter one other bullet into the firing mechanism, entered with a firm slap on the shelf against the shoulder. It is also slightly easier to reload otherwise, though it's a question if you'd even want to if by that time, you've looted a better gun.

What are your ideas?

ZzZz

Return to Fallout Series Discussion