Strange theory: What if the Vault Dweller...

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:12 am

... is NOT, i repeat, NOT the protagonist?!

What if he's instead simply an important person to the story or plotline? IE Dad or Ulysses?

We're simply presuming he's the protagonist because we've always been vault dwellers or connected to them (with the exception of Tactics and NV). But what if this isn't the case at all, and Beth is simply throwing us for a loop, and this whole "voiced protagonist/male-by-default" protagonist is a red herring?

Trent Theriot

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:12 pm

yeah no, Beth wouldn′t waste a trailer on such a ploy, and even then Beth has no track record of being the kind of dev that uses drama fishing ploys like that.

David John Hunter

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:49 am

Well, the trailer shows a pip-boy clad hand coming up out of the Vault from a first person POV, my money is that's us.

Stefanny Cardona

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:53 pm

Well, a PipBoy 3000 isn't Vault Dweller specific.... more like an albatross around our necks..

I hope there'll be another Readius style mod for FO4. I hate PB3000s.

lacy lake

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:22 pm

I just think everyone is reading into this too hard. They just wanted to show a protagonist in some shape or form, it doesn't mean that's it's the only character to play as, it doesn't mean he has a voice, character creation will be the same as any other Bethesda game.
Ricky Rayner

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:27 pm

Well, it's specifically the emerging from the vault that nails it down for me, I don't know about anyone else.

And I'm fine with being a Vault Dweller, really.

R.I.p MOmmy

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:53 am

that was a thought i had expressed yesterday too, every one seems to be assuming that the protagonist must be voiced but other than the scenes in the trailer where it appears that the player character is exiting a vault as a vault dweller, that does not mean the voiced vault dweller in the trailer is the same. It still feels as though that its heavily implied that the PC is the guy at the end though.

Darren Chandler

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:19 pm

I to am very skeptical of the identity of the "Vault Dweller" in the trailer. Until I know more about him I'm assuming that he may just be an important character to the story, honestly I'm hoping for it. I really don't like the idea of a voiced protagonist as I feel like it can take away from the immersion of the game, but if that is what Bethesda wants to do then who am I to go against their better judgement. Regardless I do have high hopes for Fallout 4 and I really hope that Bethesda can deliver, although I do have some words of warning for other fans. "Don't let the hype get to you! Hype ruins a game, and creates unrealistic expectations for the final outcome of said game." Get excited once we see E3 coverage not when we've only seen the reveal trailer. People are creaming their pants at the video game equivalent of the opening credits, when they should be waiting till they see the actual film.

Aaron Clark

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:31 pm

Really I'd love for it not to be. I don't want a voiced protagonist, and I'm sick of them always implying the PC is buddy buddy with dogs (I hate dogs).

But let's face facts, it's 99% likely it is meant to be their posterchild representation of the player.

Da Missz

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:44 pm

personally I think the Vault guy is the player character (and is either the baby from the trailer (or ancestor of them)) However I think Bethesda is also doing abit of trolling or hyping by deliberately making him look like the guy from the "leak" just to get people to talk about and build up the hype...

it seems to have worked...

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this "disgruntled ex-employee" is really infact a member of the fallout marketing team

Mizz.Jayy

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:50 am

At least they fixed it now. You don't actually cover the screen with your arm anymore.

---

It would be cool to not be a Vault Dweller. Bethesda made this a trend, but Black Isle and Obsidian obviously did not intend this. As you're a tribal in FO2, a cryogenically frozen Prisoner in Van Buren and a Courier in New Vegas.

luis dejesus

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:53 am

What if the vault dweller is a clone of the baby in the crib. I know the vaults like doing experiments on the population. So what if vault-tec got dna from the people living in the area and when the bombs began to drop they sealed it so no one could get in
Amelia Pritchard

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:35 am

Look, Vaults aren't just some creepy labs.

Vaults are meant to monitor human behavior in certain circumstances.

Vault 11 - What would people feel if one kept killing one of them in order to let them live?

Vault 34 - What would people feel if there's loads of guns and nobody can access them?

Vault of Necropolis - What would people feel if radiation entered the vault?

Vault 13 - Meant to not open until 100 years. What would people feel in deep isolation? Also, the Water Chip is NOT intended to break down.

So, if you're going to involve some crazy vault plot, then find a good reason for it. And no, Bethesda's Vaults don't count as far as I am concerned.

Doesn't mean there aren't any joke Vaults though. Vault 68 and 69 are good examples of those. But then again, those are not encountered.

Now, tell me about a vault full of angry clones.

clelia vega

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:40 pm

I never said they were angry chief
Adrian Powers

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:18 am

So.. why would they clone unknown people?

Ana Torrecilla Cabeza

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:12 pm

Every beth RPG since Oblivion showed a typical protagonist in the game. In Oblivion, we had the guy dressed up in full imperial armor (which honestly made no sense cause you were more of a blade). In Skyrim, we saw the dragonborn. In Fallout, we saw the vault dweller and now we see the vault dweller and dog. So, either you play as the vault dweller...or the dog.

Marcin Tomkow

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:18 am

The dog would be funny.

Well, you wanted Fallout 4 and we didn't have time.. so.. enjoy Dogworld simulator.

HARDHEAD

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:25 am

Vault 108. Right, Gary?

k a t e

Return to Fallout 4