Levelling system character progression. Thoughts?

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:40 am

How would you like levelling to be managed? Honestly I would be fine with either F3/NV style or Hybrid.. Something new, I don't know. I'd have to see. But ever since Fallout 1 I've grown too fond of the SPECIAL system to leave it behind. The skills I love too but the SPECIAL system is the real core of it that I think is like the patty to Fallout's bun.

Thoughts?

Chris Jones

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:22 pm

The more levels the merrier! It'd be cool to keep leveling and adding perks. But it would probably lose its novelty and become a waste of time....or just get old after a while.

Emmi Coolahan

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:50 pm

FNV was money to me when it came to the leveling up/skill/perk experience. I thought the overhaul of the perks available (like tossing out most of the stat boosters) turned out excellent. I disliked the leveling system in Skyrim for the most part, but I would like to see one tweak:

Less skill points awarded from leveling and more skill points awarded from actually doing the skill. I don't want individual skill trees by any means, nor do I want your experience to solely come from grinding out skills. I just want a stronger emphasis on your initial build while rewarding you for doing a specific thing often.

N3T4

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:00 pm

Nothing even remotely resembling Skyrim's dumbed down system. Which was crap even for the no-brainers the game was aimed at.

Kaylee Campbell

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:30 pm

One thing I do love about the Fallout franchise is the SPECIAL system and perks. However, I feel it would make for a more interesting experience if you could increase skill points by action and experience as opposed to just inserting them upon leveling up (ala FO3 and FNV).

However, I felt Skyrim skill trees were honestly much too tedious and Fallout had a better handle of it using the perks system.

Mike Plumley

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:24 pm

Definitely the traditional SPECIAL system.

Stacy Hope

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:43 am

Do like fo3/fonv but with the option to "stop" leveling. Sometimes u get to high a level and the game becomes a breeze and this way u can control even more the "power" of ur character.
cutiecute

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:09 pm

Fallout New Vegas style but perks every level and less Special Perks this time. Those should only be able to be raised in certain circumstances.

Monika Krzyzak

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:01 pm

The way it worked in Fallout and Fallout 2 was good, and was how it was intended. So that.

I sincerely hope they do not go with the Skyrim's autoleveling that takes all the involvement fun out of character progression since it happens automatically behind the screen and requires godless amounts of grinding; not to mention it's totally broken when it comes to skills out of combat.

Roanne Bardsley

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:49 am

I liked to see some new skill trees like crafting,dual wielding (hope you can do that in the game) and stamina.

Bethany Short

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:24 am

SPECIAL is good.

I would like perks to be replaced with a skill tree style system.

Kahli St Dennis

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:07 pm

I prefer the leveling mentality of "the more you use it the better you get at it". But there needs to be some type of tweek so you can't level up every perk? I know, it seems unreasonable lol.
Ludivine Poussineau

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:36 pm

I'm fine with it if they do it like NV.
Antonio Gigliotta

Post » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:41 am

I love how you increase your skills through use in Elder Scrolls (especially Skyrim, which didn't have that broken attribute leveling system), but I'd prefer Fallout sticks to using XP for leveling. And I don't think they'll change that. I would like to see many, many more perks that let you carve out a playstyle far better than what attributes and skills can do. And I wouldn't mind them getting rid of skills and just having SPECIAL and perks, honestly, if they balanced it right and didn't remove any actual playstyles (you don't need to have a "Lockpicking" skill on your character sheet to be able to pick locks, necessarily, and perks can define your abilities in a different way).

At any rate, I want them to balance the progression around getting a perk every level. Getting a perk only every few levels makes leveling feel lopsided and less fun, and it's not like they can't balance the game around the character having 30 perks total instead of 15 or whatever.

If they do include some form of "skills improve with use", it'd be cool if we could get better with a specific weapon the more we use it. Like, when we pick up a Gatling Laser for the first time it's way less accurate and its condition decays faster on account of our lack of experience operating the thing, but the longer we use it the more we master it. Would also help make typically weaker weapons more viable in the late-game; I hate when my favorite gun or outfit becomes so outclassed that it's no longer even viable in the late game.

More "challenge" perks like Day Tripper or Lord Death would be fine, too.

Thomas LEON

Return to Fallout 4