Automatron - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:47 pm

Ok... So I wanted to start a discussion on just where Automatron went wrong. What else could be done, and what make it amazing.

First, All the new content it adds which I won't cover specifically, don't want to spoil it, But it adds more then just robots to your game, adding Armors, Weapons, Power Armor, among many many other things.

These are the things that I really enjoy, and it does give me more then expected for $10.

But what are the problems I am having with it ?

Well Lets make us a small list, and who knows maybe an update will happen ;)

A. I was excited to make Mr. Handys only to find out that well.. I can't build a REAL Mr. Handy, this was quite upsetting

B. I was excited to be able to build eye bots, and maybe even change the radio on them have them hanging out playing the radio at my settlement. Again, This is not the case in the slightest and you can't really do anything with them.

C. I was very happy when I realized I could command my robots to farm, guard posts, provisioners etc. I was really disappointed to see my robot just walks over to the plants, stares at them, moves to the next one, stares at it and so on.

D. I was hoping for more.. unique customization with my robot, as in his range, his personality even "Be nice to have at least a few different ones," maybe even the color of the sentry bot glow ?

All the things I have listed, besides having to do the animations for the robots to farm would not be something greatly time consuming. I've already started releasing mods to address some of these issues on the Nexus. But I would like to know, What do you guys think ? Am I just being too picky.. is there anything else missing ?

i grind hard

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:42 am

I have found that I really like everything that Automatron adds to the game, but different from your impression I did find myself wanting more for the $10 price tag.

Having access to the parts of the bots already implemented, and the new Robobrain parts were nice, but at the price point I expected more completely new assets and new robot designs and parts.

One of the reasons I felt the value was lacking was that more than half of the content added was already in my game with the use of Robot Home Defense, which not only allowed making each of the mentioned robot types but also robots NOT added by Automatron.

Whether or not it is the case, it felt like Bethesda's work on implementing crafting for the robots already in the game was redundant, like it was an attempt to cash in on the low-hanging fruit that other developers (without the proper tools!) were able to implement the same features and in some cases more than what was delivered with the DLC.

Don't get me wrong, I was generally satisfied with the quality of the content that was there, and how Beth chooses to monetize their game is their business, but when I installed Automatron I expected more NEW content I hadn't seen before.

As an example:

- Three new robot types with parts (As opposed to just one)

- New robot companion utility features (radio, mobile crafting, material scrapping, loot finding, errand running, tactical distractions, tactical fire support, ect)

- More involved and nuanced robot companion interactions, tied to collectable personality holotapes (Like with Curie or Codsworth)

- Automated robot production and dispatching (like the Eyebot Pod, but for more bots)

I'm still a pretty happy customer, but like with most things in Fallout 4 I really want more of it than is there right now. I'd be really impressed if Beth adds some or all of these thing with future updates (like they are doing to vanilla with the Survival Overhaul).

Julie Serebrekoff

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:05 pm

I'm quite happy with the dlc. I only paid $7.5 and this price will drop to $5 if they release a total of $60 worth of dlc content by the end of FO4 lifespan. I think it added 3-5 quests. Some were very short, but some were long. All the weapons and armor. The dialogue. All seems worth the price I paid.

I play on very hard and survival exclusively and I was very challenged with my lvl 20 character. Also because I didn't make a robot crafting character, I was locked out of many of the best robot mods. This actually made my robot companions quite weak. The last battle Ada was getting wrecked. It legitly took me at least 8 tries just to get by the "mini boss" at the half way point of the fight. And making a character that is a "robot crafter" will be able to make legitly strong robots but be weak in other aspects. Can't wait to see how this will work with the survival overhaul.

Most my characters don't get beyond level 60, so I'm very excited as to how this content will expand the build and role play options of all the characters I will create in the future. I feel that WW will be very weak for expanding role play options, and far harbor will be much better than both.

The added lore and robobrain stuff was great.

A few complaints:

Lack of eyebot crafting is disappointing. I mean they didn't even need to do eyebot crafting with arms and legs cause that wouldn't make sense. It could have just been select eyebot head, select armor, radio, paint, laser type. Seems like that would have been the easiest one to add.

I had one bug occur for me and it was easily fixed. Only set me back 5 mins.
Jeffrey Lawson

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:31 am

Eyebot crafting would be really barebones if it was an option. Look at most of the choices when building a robot with Automatron, you can mix and match parts but with an eyebot it would just be the eyebot. It would be so boring that it really doesn't merit being added in. You can't mix and match it's arms, you can't choose new legs for it, you wouldn't be able to give it a different head it wouldn't fit in with the rest of the robot choices. You would just have one part you can change and it would be so devoid of any real satisfaction as it would just be "what type of armor do you want to give it"
Naomi Lastname

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Have you put legs and arms onto the Mr. Handy frame yet? They snap on just like any other part. I don't see any reason you couldn't do an eyebot the same way, or take eyebot parts and swap them on to another robot. It would look silly, but isn't that part of the fun?

lisa nuttall

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:19 pm

I must say I am very pleased with Automatron. I just made my first robot and named him "Prototype 111" because it's cute. And I am already in love with him :hugs: I can't wait to explore more of the different variations I can create in the future, as I read some rumours recently about being able to make big tanky robots, which is quite useful for a sneaky snooper character like meself. I must say the new robot minions really come in handy for carrying all my junk and their combat abilities which can be enhanced into an extended period of usefullness. I see the fact that most of these upgrade parts recuire some high investement in perks like science, robotics expert, armorer/blacksmith, which might be negative for some character builds, but for me it was no big deal. They made bringing compaions along feel more fun and useful with this DLC, at least for me.

Now tell me, what mechanical abominations have you guys put together so far? :shifty:

Dawn Farrell

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:23 pm

Well, my robot is ugly.
Horror- Puppe

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:31 pm

I made a tesla-thruster bot with sniper lasers for arms and named him "Ray". He sits up on top of things and zaps baddies into ash ^_^

Sunny Under

Return to Fallout 4