[Animation] Skyrim technology is going backwards. Here's why

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:42 pm

Hey there guys!

As the title says, I animated a brief examination of Tamriel's technology, and why it's actually regressing, rather than progressing. The video also includes an entry-level summary of Elder Scrolls history for context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MrAWS-MiMU

My goal with this video was to create an accessible entry point for non-lore buffs to jump into the rich history of the Elder Scrolls. Some topics are oversimplified for the sake of entertainment and accessibility, so I'd like to revisit these topics in future videos.

Quick shoutout to the /r/teslore subreddit, who were a great help in putting this together.

Questions, comments, and criticism are absolutely welcome, and I hope you enjoy the video. Thanks in advance for watching!

Adam Kriner

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:47 pm

That was brilliant

I'm no lore master....but it all sounded good to me and very funny

:D
Rex Help

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:48 pm

Thanks very much Rick! You've played more Skyrim than anyone I've seen on these boards, so your compliment goes a long way for me!
Prisca Lacour

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:10 pm

Nicely done my friend! Thoroughly enjoyed it :)
Jack Moves

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:50 pm

That was a very concise history... amusing and interesting.

Blessed DIVA

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:22 pm

Thanks very much guys. Like I said, conciseness was my goal, so I'm happy to hear you say that.

Johnny

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:07 pm

In all fairness, Skyrim is particularly rustic compared to different parts of Tamriel. Even more so, since two of its major cities wound up collapsing/being lit ablaze prior to the game. Given that the Nord's are generally depicted as being slightly more...primal, then most of the other races at this point, I'd say its consistent with all of their depictions from the Third Era going forward.

In the broadest sense though, you're mostly right. The Empire is basically sputtering out, and declines during this period shouldn't be terribly surprising. Depends on how the rest of Tamriel is doing though. Not the first time after all that giant cataclysms ravaged Tamriel, and its not likely to be the last.

Gwen

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:43 pm

Nah, it's not regressing. It's stagnating in an ideal state. We call that state "Fantasy" and flee into it because progress actually svcks...

Claudz

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:44 pm

While the third era wasn't to the level of certain parts of the first era it still had some technological and social evolution. People managed to re-create a dwemer airship at least twice (See Redguard's story and a quest from Bloodmoon), Telvanni managed to re-program Dwemeri centurions (See Tel Uvirith and Tel Vos's museum), the mages guild was making new discoveries in archaeology and trying to piece together the past and the Third Empire did rebuild battlespires. Of course that's moot because it all came crashing down.

The Third Empire was a short renaissance age that ended up falling and leading to a new dark age, though that being said I wouldn't be surprised if industrialization does become a goal for some of the nations that were hit hard like Hammerfell, High Rock or Morrowind.
Chris BEvan

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:17 pm

These are all great points, though I would argue that even those Third Era technological triumphs pale in comparison to what was possible during the First Era, or the Merethic Era before it - unfortunately, there's only so much you can cover in a 5 minute video. In any case, thanks very much for watching and participating in the discussion <3

You're probably right that industrialization might be possible for the more "prosperous" regions like High Rock. As far as I know, the Summerset Isles aren't doing too badly either - it'd be awesome to play an ES game set in and around a technologically advanced and larger scale city like Alinor. I've always loved the more "sci-fi" elements of the Elder Scrolls, and it'd be nice to see a prosperous city on a grander scale than what's offered in Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim.

Leilene Nessel

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:38 pm

If you buy into the whole Michael Kirkbride "Tamriel is doomed by nature" business, future cataclysms are basically guaranteed, and in even greater numbers. I can't imagine throwing a wrench into Alduin's recycling of the world will leave things in a particularly stable state either... :P

Samantha hulme

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:17 pm

Nice. Very entertaining and informative. :goodjob:

Joe Bonney

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:17 pm

gotta say, I enjoyed that vid :)

Kevin S

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:26 pm

Yup that's true. Most third era progress is just piggybacking on ancient Dwemeri designs and creations xD

Also since I forgot to say this you did a good job on the video.
~Amy~

Post » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:22 pm

Thanks Turija! Nice to see you outside of /r/skyrimrequiem.

Thanks funnybunny!

You're too kind, Cider. Here's to the next one.

xemmybx

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion