Sound too loud. Volume control does not work.

Post » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:15 am

Edit:

I managed to solve this problem through messing with all kinds of settings.

Ultimately it turned out that the "Applications can exclusively manage this device" setting in windows was the culprit. Turning it off did the trick.

Original post:

Hello,

After many years, I decided to do a new playthrough of Oblivion. And after spending almost a full day looking for mods and installing them, I decided to boot up the game.

But whenever I start the game, its volume is too loud. About as loud as being on a construction site or a disco.

And here is the strange thing: When I try to turn down the volume using the Windows Volume control, the volume stays the same. Even when turning it down to zero makes no difference.

The only thing that has any influence on the volume is muting it all together.

And the ingame volume controls also seem to make no difference as the music keeps booming through the room (and possibly even the neighbourhood), even when putting the master volume and music volume to zero.

Here might be some specifications which may help:

Soundcard: Realtek Digital High Definition Audio (onboard)

Things I already tried,to no avail:

I started the game through the Obse Loader and Wrye Bash

Tried the following INI tweaks: bAllowSoftwareAudio=0, bAllowHardwareAudio=1, bUseSoftwareAudio3D=1

I also temporarily disabled all codecs on my system.

Disabled all mods, and started it through the normal launcher.

Does anyone know what can cause this and is there anything else I can try to fix this problem? I would really be grateful if this is fixed, as I really look forward to replaying my favorite TES game.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Natasha Callaghan

Return to IV - Oblivion