Skyrim to black marsh

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:38 pm

4E 203, 6th second seed

My name is Haema. I'm a Nord from Skyrim. Ever since I was a young girl I wanted to discover the whole of tamriel. I've decided to do just that! I am going to travel all the way to Black Marsh. Yes Black marsh, home of the Argonians. On my own. With no combat experience. What could possibly go wrong? Oh, did I mention I'm nineteen years of age?

I have always been fascinated by Black Marsh. There isn't much written about it in books. Can't be a good sign, means many adventures never make it back. I'll just have to keep moving and pray to Talos that nothing tries to eat me alive.

I plan on leaving on Sundas, that's twos days from now. Should give me enough time to pack and book a carriage to Windhelm. I'm staying in Solitude right now. Might as well spend my last days in Skyrim in luxury. Oh dear, that makes it sound like I'm not coming back. Can't believe I'm doing this.

8th Second Seed

I'm writing this in my carriage, we've just passed Rorikstead. It's pissing with rain. Great start. I haven't brought much with me, I'll be walking most the way. Mostly bought water, some food and gold. I plan on buying supplies as I go. I'll also hire a guide in Black Marsh, I'm not stupid, I won't last a day there on my own.

Once I get to Windhelm, I'll walk to the Morrowind border. Then I hope to get a carriage that'll take me to black marsh.

12th Second Seed

It took four days to reach Windhelm with the bad weather. It's Turdas today, I'm going to rest here for the night and leave at first light. I should be in Morrowind this time tomorrow if all goes well.

Windhelm isn't my favourite city. The stone walls make me feel trapped, I prefer Solitude or Whiterun. The inn is nice though.

I'll be leaving early so I'm gonna get some sleep. Good night!

13th Second Seed

Well I'm here. I traveled most of today, stopping only for breaks. Didn't see much, mostly ash and rock. And mushrooms. Everywhere you look there's giant mushrooms. I need to find a carriage, it'll take me forever at this rate. Two weeks according to my calculations. My water won't last that long.

It's starting to get dark now, I've found a small cave to camp in for the night. Hopefully I'll have more to write about tomorrow.

14 Second Seed

Azure save me! I'm stuck in a cave with an angry netch trying to get in. I think I'm safe for now, just need to wait it out. I suppose I better explain what happened. Everything was going fine. I made it through the mountains without problem. I had started walking south when I spotted a netch. I've never seen one before now,, strange creatures they are. They look like giant floating jellyfish with long tentacles. It walked past me. Well floated actually. It seemed pretty calm. Then I did something really stupid. I reached out and touched it. Really shouldn't have done that, It must have thought it was attacking it because it turned around and went for me. Chased me into this cave. I think it's a girl, my books say the females and more aggressive. Apparently you can tell its gender by the number of tentacles, I didn't have time to count.

I think it's moving off now. I'll wait till its gone before heading back out.

15th Second Seed

I have found some transport. I'm writing this on the back of a Silt Strider! I still can't believe it. They are very rare, especially in Morrowind. Most of the remaining silt striders are found in Vvardenfell.

I spend the morning walking south. Wasn't much to see apart from mushrooms and ash as usual. Then I spotted something coming toward me in the distance. At first I thought it was another Netch. But it was much bigger than that. It looked like a giant flea with tentacles. There was a dark elf riding it. I better get used to calling them Dunmer, they don't like being called dark elves... Anyway, it approached me before stopping. "What's a Nord doing all the way out here?" He asked.

"Just passing through, I'm a traveler." I replied.

"Bit young to be traveling out here alone, it's dangerous here. Where you heading?"

"Black Marsh."

The Dunmer chuckled to himself. "Black Marsh? Why would anyone want to go there? I'm on my way to Narsis, want a ride?"

"Yeah, if you don't mind, thanks." The elf throw down a rope ladder for me to climb up. I offered to pay him for the trip but he refused saying that I probably wouldn't make it on foot, and that he would like the company.

We've been traveling all day. It's starting to get dark now, I think we're about to set up camp for the night.

16th Second Seed

Today didn't go so well. When I woke this morning, I thought it was a bit darker than usual. I didn't think much of it and we continued our journey as usual. Then the wind started to pick up. The Dunmer told me there was a dust storm approaching. Before we know it, there was dust and ash blowing everywhere and I could barely see my hand in front of my face. The elf gave me a cloth to wrap round my head. If I didn't have that I might've suffocated. The storm got so bad we had to stop. Setting up the tents in this weather would've been impossible, we had to shelter under some sheets of cloth. By the time the storm died down it was dark, I'm writing this by candlelight. Hopefully tomorrow we'll make some progress.

19th Second Seed

The Dunmer tells me we are about halfway there. We made good progress the last few days. The elf never told me what business he had in Narsis but he was carrying quite a bit of cargo. I decided to take a quick look while he was having a piss. I opened one of the sacks and peaked inside. Moonsugar. Lots and lots of moonsugar. I quickly closed the sack before he came back and pretended to be writing my diary. If he knew what I saw, who knows what he would have done with me. Probably slit my throat and leave me in the ash. Don't know what else he's carrying, wouldn't be surprised if there's skooma here as well. He must be getting paid a lot, he's been feeding me and refuses to take a single septim.

23rd Second seed

We have arrived! He took me to the outskirts of Narsis and pointed me in the direction of Black marsh. He said that he had business to deal with and couldn't take me any further. Knowing what that business was, I left without question.

It should take me four days to reach Argonia. I'm going to try to find Stormhold first. It's not too far from the border. Then I plan on finding a guide to show me round.

24th Second seed

Well today was interesting. I almost died twice. I better start from the beginning... I started heading south toward black marsh, everything was going just fine. Well until I saw smoke rising in the distance. My curiosity got the better of me and I went to check it out. As I got closer I could tell that it was a burning village. I went to investigate. The place looked like it had been looted and recently. I was just about to take a look in one of the houses when an arrow flew by my head. Only just missed as well, I could feel the wind. I span around to find out where it came from; an Argonian archer. He was just about to fire another arrow when he heard a shout. It was another Argonian. "What are you doing?" He shouted, placing himself in front of the bow. "She's a Nord, probably just a traveler. And by the looks of it she's barely more than a girl." The Argonian lowers his bow. "What's a Nord doing all the way down here?"

"what's an Argonian doing burning down a village in Morrowind?" I reply.

He laughs. "It goes way back, the elves have never liked us. We decided they should share some of their gold with us. One of the villagers didn't agree and throw a fireball at us. It missed and started a fire. Soon it spread and the elves started to flee. We helped ourselves to their valuables and now we're about to leave."

"Fair enough. I was on my way to black marsh."

"Don't know what you expect to find there. We don't get many outsiders. Come with us and you'll find out why."

"If you don't mind, thanks. I was hoping to stay in Stormhold for a few days before heading to Helstrom."

"I think you'll be disappointed in what you find. Argonia isn't the nicest of places. But if you insist we'll take you there."

We left the village. There were five Argonians in total, all slightly different colours. Itan-Ru (the one who almost shot me) has reddish scales. Huleed (the one who stopped Itan from shooting me) is a greeny yellow colour.

Not long after we had left the village, I almost died again. Suddenly there was an explosion of fire and I was knocked to the floor. The dark elf that had set fire to the village was back. He had missed again and soon there was an arrow stuck between his eyes.

"That takes care of that." Said Huleed. Then we started walking again like nothing had happened.

28th Second seed

Think we've reached black marsh now. It's defiantly starting to get swampy. We've set up camp for the night, Itan-Ru says we'll be in Stormhold by tomorrow evening.

29th Second seed

Sweet Sheogorath, the fleashflies! They are everywhere, stand still for long enough and you're covered in them. I've been bitten everywhere!

We had to cross a swamp today as well, the water was up to my waist. Once I was out, I was covered in leeches. The argonians were alright with their thick scales. Now I know why most people don't travel here. The air feels heavy as well, Huleed says there's a storm coming.

We reached Stormhold by nightfall. I'm writing this in the local tavern. Gonna rest here tonight and find a guide in the morning.

30th second seed

Well the storm that Huleed promised is here. I've never seen rain like it. Bad thunder as well, haven't been able to leave the tavern. The Argonians say it could last a few days. I found a guide, his name is Okan-ru. Weird names these Argonians have... Anyway, I found him in the inn, heard him asking around for work. I approached him and asked if he could show me around black marsh.

"I would love to show you around, but I'm busy now. You'll have to find someone else." He told me

I placed a bag of gold on the table.

"We'll leave as soon as this storm is over. What do you want to see?" He said taking the gold.

I told him I wanted to explore and learn more about the place.

"Alright, it's gonna be dangerous though. Without me you wouldn't survive a day. I'll show you around then you can ride the roots to Helstrom. My brother is staying there, he should keep you alive."

"Ride the roots?" I asked, bewildered.

"Just wait, you'll see." He laughs.

"Will I get to see the Hist?" I ask. I had always wanted to know more about the Hist trees in Argonia. Not much is written about them, but I've heard they are alive as much as you and me. Personally I don't believe a word of it. Trees that can think? Doubt it.

"No. The Hist are found deep in black marsh, outsiders don't go that far."

"Then they actually exist?"

"Oh yes they exist alright."

After that he had to go, saying he'll find me once the storm has past. Until then I won't have much to do.

31st Second seed

I learnt a new swear today: Hist piss.

1st Mid year

The storm has past, I've got my stuff ready and bought some more supplies. Just waiting for Okan-ru.

We've been traveling all day, probably only gone a few miles though. Been wading through swamp water and cutting through thick vegetation. I definitely couldn't live here, been bitten all over as well. Okan told me to cover myself in mud to stop the flies. Seemed to work but it's really uncomfortable, especially in this heat. We've set up a tent for the night, hopefully I'll be able to get some sleep. The insects and really loud.

2nd Mid year

Today was...interesting. I'm writing this from a hut in Helstrom. How did I get here so fast you ask. I'll get to that in a moment. We traveled through thick swamp until around midday when Okan stopped at some mud with bubbles coming from somewhere underground. "What are we waiting for." I asked.

"You going to travel via Rootworm to Helstrom. Unfortunately we've missed the wintertide migration, so we might have to wait a while for one to pass."

"What's a Rootworm?" I asked confused.

"They travel at high speed underground. You will jump here when one comes and it'll take you right to Helstrom."

"What do they look like?"

"They are about 8 feet long. Once you jump in you'll be slowly digested in its stomach."

"What? You're joking, right? " I asked.

"No. Don't worry though you can survive weeks inside. It's not as unpleasant as it sounds. Once you're inside, look out for lots of air bubbles. When you see them, push up."

"You sure this is the easiest way to get to Helstrom?"

"Definitely, unless you want to spend weeks cutting through more swamp. When you get there ask around for my brother Saliith. Give him this." He hands me an amulet. "He will know I sent you."

We must of been waiting for almost an hour when Okan-ru suddenly tells me to jump. I looked at the mud and hesitated.

"Go" He pushed me and I was in the mud before I know what had happened. I looked around and realised I was moving. I was inside the Rootworm, riding the roots at incredible speed. The worm was mostly transparent but I couldn't see much in the darkness. After a while I began to see light coming from up ahead. Then there were bubbles rising around me. Remembering what Okan told me, I pushed up and broke through the skin of the worm. The bubbles pushed me up and I emerged from the mud. There was a medium sized town of huts ahead of me. Helstrom. There were also some Argonians watching me curiously.

"What a Nord doing in Argonia?"

"If I had a Septim every time someone asked me that..." I sighed. "I'm looking for Saliith, is he here?"

"Yeah, what do you want with me?" One of the Argonians stepped forward.

"You Saliith?" I asked.

"Yes, you've come from Stormhold, haven't you? Don't suppose you spoke to my brother Okan-ru?"

"Actually I have. He wanted me to give you this." I hand him the amulet.

"Thanks, mind if we have a chat? Come with me."

I followed him into a large hut and he told me to sit. I sat down in an old wooden chair next to a mouldy table. Saliith sat opposite me.

"So how's Okan-ru?" He asked me."

"He's fine. He was showing me around and said you could help."

"So you're an adventurer? Surprised you made it this far, Argonia is very dangerous."

"So everyone keeps telling me, but I haven't seen anything dangerous yet. Well apart from the flesh flies anyway." I reply.

"Then you've been lucky. I'll show you why none of your kind come here if you want. I'm heading deeper into the swamps tomorrow, looking for some rare alchemy ingredients to sell."

"That'll be great."

"You better stay close to me though, wouldn't want to get killed by a Naga would we?"

"What's a Naga?"

"The Naga are a type of Saxhleel, Argonian in your tongue. They are black and look like puff adders. They also kill outsiders like you. The Naga usually keep to the inner swamp but sometimes raid villages."

I stayed in the local inn that night. It was the dirtiest place I've ever slept, the whole place smelt of rot and mildew. The bed is really uncomfortable as well, I miss my bed in Solitude. As least there I wasn't getting eaten alive by fleashflies in my sleep. Oh well, I'm gonna try and get some sleep now. Hopefully everything will be better tomorrow.

3rd Mid year

It didn't get better today, it got worst. I've had it with this place. It would be more comfortable in Mehrunes plane of oblivion! I plan on traveling back tomorrow.

We headed out early morning to look for the alchemical ingredients. To find them we would have to head deeper into the damned swamp. After a while Saliith noticed how bad I was getting bitten by the fleshflies. He made me a paste using some weird plant growing from the swamp to put all over my body.

"It'll help keep the fleashflies away. They hate the stuff."

It worked well I wasn't bitten again. Well at least not by the flies. I was still attacked by leaches, large insects and something that looked like a rat. We did see something that made the whole journey worth it. A Lilmothiit. I saw something similar to a Khajiit moving ahead of us. "What's that?" I whispered.

"That's a Lilmothiit. Very rare, almost extinct now. I've only seen one once before. You're probably the only non Argonian alive today that has seen one."

"Wow. I've heard of them before but thought they were just a myth. There's almost nothing written about them." I whispered in awe.

"They used to be everywhere before the Argonians came to settle here. They're an ancient race, similar to Khajiit but more fox like. There's probably only a few remote tribes left."

After that encounter we carried on. Saliith collecting plants on the way. We didn't see anything else but I kept hearing rustling in the undergrowth and felt like I was being watched. We started heading back before it got dark. Now we're camping for the night. Tomorrow I'm going to take the underground express to Gideon. From there I can cross the border to Blackwood in Cyrodiil. Then I can take the carriage back to Skyrim. I might even stop and stay at the imperial city. But first I have to make it through the night in the middle of this swamp.

4th Mid year

I made it to Cyrodiil! I only had to be digested by a giant worm and wade through more swamp while being attacked by killer flies. We made it back to Helstrom early this morning. Then I had to ride the roots in another Rootworm to Gideon. From there I headed west until I was out of the swamps. I'll walk to Blackwood in the morning. I'm sheltering in a small cave at the moment.

5th Midyear

I'm writing this on a carriage to the imperial city. It took most of the day to get to Blackwood. I'm going to stay there for a night then get another carriage to Skyrim.

I've never been to the imperial city. I've heard it has lots of shops and different districts. Might even visit the arena and watch two men fight to the death.

Great it's just started raining.

8th Midyear

I have arrived! I spend most of the afternoon shopping, there is a lot more shops here then in Solitude. I bought myself a new quill, a nice dagger so I can defend myself on my next adventure and a mortar and pestle with a few alchemical books. Now I can make a few potions and remedies. It seems like there's a shop for everything. There was a shop selling loads of different mages staffs, and another selling spell tomes. I also bought an expensive meal and a room for the night. My room is much more luxurious than anywhere in Black marsh, that's for sure. I'm gonna get some rest now and head out for Skyrim tomorrow.

9th Mid year

I got talking to a girl from the mages guild in Cheydinhal She's hoping to join the arcane university. She tried teaching me a spell to manipulate people's minds to calm an angry opponent. She said that a had a natural talent for magic, which is rare for a Nord. I'm thinking about joining the collage of Winterhold. A few spells would be useful on my travels.

I'm on my way back to Skyrim now. This'll probably be my last entry. I plan on traveling to Elsweyr next to learn more about the Khajiit. Hopefully it'll go better than my trip to black marsh.
Yvonne Gruening

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion