Roleplaying: Reincarnation and Memories

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:00 am

So, I'm currently in a roleplaying situation where my character is the Nerevarine, and in the interest of enriching the plot, I was wondering if there was any precedent for a reincarnated individual having access to memories of their previous life? Maybe personality traits and speech patterns showing up, especially during times of stress? I know that in the game, those sorts of things are kept out to keep things ambiguous, and let the player decide whether their character really is Nerevar Reborn or not, but in this case I'm comfortable with saying that my character is, in fact, the reincarnation of Nerevar. I'm just not quite sure how the Dreamsleeve and Azura's association with Nerevar might come into play.

Also, I'd just like to take this opportunity to say thanks to all you folks who regular the lore forums. I know a lot of us who frequent the fanfic and roleplaying forums really appreciate your insight, and I always get a kick out of reading the really in-depth discussions scattered about. You guys and gals help keep the world of TES interesting.

adam holden

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:43 pm

As far as I'm aware, I've not heard of memories or personality being preserved from one reincarnation to another.

Andrew Perry

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:11 am

Hm, to keep things interesting, ever read the God Emperor of Dune? Perhaps the Nerevarine can live in the past, through singular consciousness with his previous selves, or maybe even inhabit premonitions of the future...Here's what we know about the http://www.imperial-library.info/content/jaciel-morgen. The Greater Nocturnal experiences the Lesser's sacrifice as a deeply personal, apocalyptic kenosis, immediately waking from the "http://www.imperial-library.info/content/meeting-vivec" of the dreamsleeve. The Nerevarine would have experienced all the failures and triumphs of his previous selves, in the dream cavern of the Incarnate.

Also bear in mind the Sharmat's connection to the Incarnate; he's our dreamsleeve inversion, and inversion of the above rule is also true.

I love YOu

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion