Daggerfall remade same game just better

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:44 am

Ok so just like my oblivion remake thread http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1561282-remake-of-oblivion-same-game-just-updated/#entry24594316

This is just a what if basically your dream idea of what Daggerfall could be like if you were able to remake it with no limitations. It doesn't even have to be realistic.

For instance having the map be just as big as it is but with graphics and mechanics better than Fallout 4. So you would literally get lost if you went out into the wilderness.

For me the main quest and side quests would be pretty much the same maybe rewriting some of the dialog to make it sound better. But you would still get the timed quests where the NPC would say something like you have 25 days to do this quest or Something along theme lines.

So cities would be just as big as they are now pretty much nothing would be scaled down.

I haven't really played to much off Daggerfall but I just think it would be awesome to see a TES game that big with as good or better graphics and mechanics.

So let me know what you would keep, take out, or redo/improve

P.S...

Yes I know this will never happen I just like to think of what it would be like if it we made today and still be able to be as big
Chloe Yarnall

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:45 am

wouldn't bet on that.

you might want to read (or watch) up on a couple very recent top bgs folk interviews :-)

Far'ed K.G.h.m

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:13 pm

Can you provide links?

I'm curious to see where Bethesda has hinted at a Daggerfall remake.

Lisha Boo

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:04 pm

They haven't as far as I know. They are even giving the game away for free, because they lost the source code years ago. That fact along with http://www.gamesradar.com/a-skyrim-remaster-might-be-on-the-way-but-heres-why-bethesda-will-never-do-morrowind-hd/ about a Morrowind remake suggest that there won't be anything Daggerfall related in the foreseeable future.

Horror- Puppe

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:50 am

i can't, that's why i was so vague, wasn't meaning to be cryptic :-)

in fact, i can't even remember _what_exactly_ has been said, what i can do anyhow is give you everything i _can_ remember:

so, around be3, i read and watched pretty much everything i could find (hence my problem with proper memory assignment) on beth's future plans, interviews and interview summaries mostly (with my own focus on entirely different matters from tes remakes) - where i _think_ the particular piece was on gamespot, and a vid interview with todd howard, really not sure though.

starting from skyrim remastered, it went about potential remakes of other beth games, specifically (from the interviewer) morrowind, to which the answer was about no, if they would remake a tes game, it'd be something older like daggerfall.

so, as you see, by far not enough for any type of "this and that dude said this and that" post.

on the other hand anyway, too much to entirely shut up though :-)

...where i decidedly repeat: this is what bones i could extract from a huge bowl of memory soup, nothing more.

i might even totally be mixing up unrelated interviews, or even mixing forum threads i read into this.

so don't take any of this for fact, it's definitely not even enough for a rumor for now

(which is why i kept it vague, so at worst, the op would've watched a couple todd howard interviews and stuff in vain :-)

...should anybody know something to verify or falsify this anyway, pls let me know

...edit: researched that meanwhile to prevent further confusion, and actually found where i got that from:

turns out it wasn't the actual _interview_ (pete hynes on morrowind remastered in particular) i remembered,

but https://m.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4n7ccl/bethesdas_pete_hines_no_morrowind_remaster/.

so, forget everything i said, false alarm, you can start throwing skeever poop at me now :-)

Leilene Nessel

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:09 pm

That's what I expected.

The confirmation that Morrowind will not be remade pretty much confirms that Arena and Daggerfall will never happen too.

I thought maybe you found a secret interview or tweet that no one else had seen :P

Besides, remaking Daggerfall would be an even more difficult task than Morrowind.

bonita mathews

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:27 pm

that's what i thought myself, actually -

well, not exactly "secret", since i thought it was the interview, but "no one else had seen" definitely...

thx for kind of forcing me to reevaluate this anyway,

personal minimum posting requirement raised from "i think i remember" to "i remember", and sry again for accidential rumorizing :-)

about the "never happen" part anyway, i found some of the users' argumentations in that thread i linked rather plausible -

the parts that, that, if at all, they'd be more likely to remake an as old as possible title -

i mean, how many percent of today's active gamers will have played, say, arena? it'd basically be a new game to most

definitely agreed.

procedurally generated 3d worlds the size of an average european country?

hardly any time soon, with a result anybody would want to play too anyway :-)

Eire Charlotta

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:10 pm

If it looked as nice as Oblivion's procedural generation I would be happy to play it.

naana

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:35 am

not sure what you mean - ck's (or cs, respectively) automatic landscape generation?

other than that, this would be something that's really new to me...?

(and if that: granted, but that part's just a tiny fraction (though one of the most visible ones) of what's on an actually playable game map)

Jeff Turner

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:55 pm

Cyrodiil was procedurally generated and then tweaked by hand.

Matt Bee

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:46 pm

yes, the landscape alright. but not the cities, dungeons, roads, all that types of stuff.

anyway: the longer this is going on, the more i guess you folks are right: it might even be possible as is. what's for being operable. still not really convinced about how such a thing would look or play.

...ok, so.... when was that we'll get that daggerfall remake we'd been talking about again? :-)=)

Claire Vaux

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:28 pm

Well, they lost the source code, so any Daggerfall remake would have to be completely remade from scratch (I doubt any of the artwork or code is worth saving anyway). Not only that, the actual layout of the world would be completely unrecognizable from the original game. They're not going to be able to procedurally regenerate the exact same game world, and considering how labyrinthine and nonsensical pretty much every location in the game is, that's not even something they should do.

remi lasisi

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:45 pm

True statements, both of which make a Daggerfall remake highly unlikely. There are a couple of indie projects to re-write Daggerfall that have been going on for a decade. Both are far from complete and may never be.

Seems strange though that in Skyrim you can deconstruct an enchanted item to learn an enchantment but you can't deconstruct Daggerfall to gain the source code.

Mimi BC

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:55 am

lack of game enchanting tables :-)

Holli Dillon

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:47 pm

You can. Congrats. You have a mess of code, with function names like d3ef90bc and variable names like _39fda098, because human-facing things like function and variable names get turned into computer-facing things like numbers (hexidecimal, in this case), when the code is compiled. Also, all the comments that might explain anything? Human-facing; gone. Not to mention some function calls will have been replaced with the body of the function; possibly with parts that aren't being called, ripped out.

Little things like that, that mean I don't hold it against the XLEngine guy that he has trouble maintaining momentum and getting more working betas out.

tl;dr - Yeah, you can decompile code. You can also run Google Translate twice, and it'll be more readable, too.

Edit: Also, if you post someone else's code that you decompiled, you will get bounty hunters and assassinslawyers after you. I Am Not A Lawyer. Don't post decompiled code you don't own.

Danial Zachery

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion