Help finding a good singleplayer oriented FPSTPS game

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:33 am

I'm been looking for a good open-world FPS/TPS game with RPG-style character development. Unfortunately they appear to be surprisingly rare (the vast majority of FPS/TPS games are linear or arena combat/PvP).

Design guidelines:

-Open world with some form of respawns. Most areas are revisitable. (Obviously there might be a few specially designated quest areas where you can't return to later).

-Focused on singleplayer; co-op is a bonus. I have no interest in PvP.

-Mod support is a big plus.

-The main character should preferably be good or at least neutral (game lets you choose to be good or bad). TL;DR; this means you shouldn't suggest Saints Row or GTA.

Content guidelines:

-Bad language is a minus, although if the entire game is full of bad language I guess I could just mute it.

-Excessive blood/gore is a slight minus. In most other types of games I would consider it to be a significant minus(rather than just a slight minus), but in the FPS/TPS genre, disregarding everything with "excessive" blood/gore means throwing out 90% of search results.

-No nudity or similar obscene references. No exceptions. Even partial nudity can be grounds for an immediate rejection.

-Obscene/inappropriate innuendos or similarly bad "humor" are a big minus, and too many of them can be grounds for immediate rejection.

-----------------------

Also: it looks like the entire Fallout franchise went on sale this week. Anyone know if Fallout 3 and 4 meet these content guidelines?

(I also checked out Fallout: New Vegas and immediately removed it from consideration when I found some inappropriate/obscene humor referenced in a review).

-----------------------

This discussion is only a question. I'm not here to debate content standards. Snide remarks or attempts to bring any of my previous discussions in will be ignored.

If you aren't 100% certain if a game meets these standards, post it anyway - I would rather have too many search results than too few.
Dean Ashcroft

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Fallout is pretty good. Why exclude New Vegas? It's the best one.

Maybe the Far Cry games, they lack a bit of RPG stuff, though 3 and onward do have skills, xp and levels. 3 and Primal both have some nudity, can't remember if the 4th one has any though. 2 didn't and is the best one, but it lacks rpg elements, still a fun open world to shoot up.

The Just Cause games might be worth looking into as well.

Those are the ones I can think of, off the top of my head.

Mercenaries 2 might also fit the profile, but it's been years since I played it.

Kara Payne

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:35 am

While not "open world", the Mass Effect series is worth a run through, in my opinion. It's third person.
louise hamilton

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:12 am

Which games in the series did you mean? IIRC the original 2 Fallout games aren't even FPS.

I excluded New Vegas after reviewing the comments and finding references to some seriously obscene/inappropriate in-game "humor" which I assumed to be representative of the rest of the game on average. It's a shame to ruin an otherwise good game with that - I have heard a lot of good reviews of the combat system in it.

Just checked out the Far Cry series, looks like it's an Ubisoft uPlay exclusive. Steam sells it, but the games require linking with a uPlay account.

Your post is appreciated - let me know if you think of anything else.
Sam Parker

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:02 am

Far Cry 2 doesn't use uPlay. It has good gameplay, and a decent story, but little to no RPG-like elements.

3 and 4. New Vegas is hardly an obscene game though. There might be a few quests here and there, but in general it's not. So I don't think it would be a problem. I can only think of like 2, maybe 3 quests or instances I would consider inappropriate-ish.

Travis

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:57 am

Boiling Point: Road to Hell from 2005 comes to mind. Although I haven't played it since it was new, so I don't remember if there's any bad language in it, but there might have been a lot.
Undisclosed Desires

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:41 am

Lol, was going to also suggest Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines, but that breaks your language and partial nudity rules. A pity, it's an excellent game.
Kayleigh Williams

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:56 am

Your stipulations are ridiculous, but Just Cause 2 is perfect for you. Well, apart from a couple of jokes about haemorrhoids and some hilarious stereotyping.

Far Cry 2 is and was, pretty terrible. I bought back in '08 and whilst it sort of works now, it still has issues, and violence, and dark themes. Far Cry 3 onwards all have nudity, and your comments about New Vegas seem to be a joke. I guess the hokers on the Strip would be more of a problem, if you knew about them (and now you do).

Just Cause 3 is pretty much a case of one step sidewides and 5 steps back, so I'd avoid that for the moment. Just Cause 1 is pretty dated, and when you play JC2, you'll never be able to go back.

Mercenaries 2 : World In Flames was great, but potentially limited in content. Check it out anyway. Also, Red Faction : Guerrilla. You smash buildings up on Mars with a Sledgehammer and explosives. It's great.

I'm quite partial to open-world games myself, so I know quite a few. If I remember any more, I'll let you know.

Nuno Castro

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:32 am

Most open world games seem to be designed for older, more mature people. The only thing I can think of that might be on your level might be watch-dogs. Just don't go around checking out what people are texting. The Fallout series in general will not meet your standards. There is a good bit of blood and gore in them though you might be able to find a mod to make it more kid friendly.

amhain

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:17 am

OP I do not think you will enjoy Fallout 3, New Vegas or Fallout 4 since they have a lot of blood and gore. Bodies have a habit of exploding into small pieces especially if you take a perk called Bloody Mess. There are gore bags that you loot in areas where Mutants live.

Those games are designed for a mature audience. There is no Nudity or violence against children. There is drug and chemical use and the character can take those as well and in some case the character might need to in order to survive or be effective in the game on higher difficulty settings. The character can even become a cannibal with a perk. There might be some quests and NPC's that partake in that lifestyle in those games.

I believe I recall that the OP has asked for games before and never found any of suggestions to be for him.

I never played Portal 1 or 2

http://www.valvesoftware.com/games/portal.html

Big mike

Return to Othor Games