Oblivion stutterlag on modern system

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:16 am

Hey there!

I'm having some issues regarding The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

The game is constantly stuttering/lagging in spite of me having hardware that should be more than capable running the game on max settings. (At least according to the official system requirements)

I have a Asus notebook with these specs:

Intel Core i5-5200U - 2.20 GHz

4 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M - 2 GB

Windows 10 (64 bit)

Does anyone have any clues as to why this stuttering/lagging occurs?

I had a weaker PC just a year ago and it was able to squeeze more fps out of Oblivion than this notebook, so I'm quite clueless.

Cheers!

Emily abigail Villarreal

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:07 am

You have to keep in mind that Bethesda games are generally very poorly optimized, especially Oblivion. Even on my more powerful system I sometimes get dips into the low 40s and stuttering, even without mods. I can confirm, though that my old PC did run the game smoother at the same settings (max settings), albeit at a lower resolution. Oblivion is also known for having horrible multithreading support, another big cause for poor performance and stability issues.

There are a few mods that slightly help with those problems, but neither completely fixes them:

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/23208/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/45266/? (I don't know if there would be an improvement at all with just 4gb of ram, though)

There's also http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/45749/?, but it makes quite a lot of changes I don't agree with and not all of them can be toggled off. Still might be worth a look.

Lastly, there's http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/10400/?, but it doesn't really do anything you can't do by simply changing your graphics settings and is more of a nuisance than a help while playing. I can't recommend it, but that may be just me.

Enabling V-Sync also helped a bit, but only if the additional input lag is worth it. I simply hate screen tearing.

Manuela Ribeiro Pereira

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:58 am

Hey there!

I was hoping there would be a way to tweak the game without installing any mods. The stuttering doesn't render my game unplayable, it's just severely annoying.

Thank you for your response. :)

Cheers!

Amanda Leis

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:15 am

Stutter Remover is the best way to remove the stutter. Oblivion's Game engine was designed for PC's back in the early 2000's to mid 2000's. The game engine was designed for a single core.

You might be able to force your PC to use a single core. I do not know if that would improve performance or not.

I like Stutter Remover since I can also cap the FPS to 30 to make the game more stable since the game engine has memory issues.

MARLON JOHNSON

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:57 am

Hey there!

If I read the description of the mod correctly, it is stated that the OBSE is needed for it to work. If I install the script extender, and then the mod (Oblivion Stutter Remover), how will this affect my saved games? Will there be issues if I play that save without the mod and the script extender in the future

Thank you for your response! :)

Cheers!

Trish

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:37 am

I have not played a game save without those. I do not think it will have a barring on the game save if it is removed. Still it is a good idea to make a new game save before adding any mod including this one.

Jay Baby

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:36 pm

I played with OBSE and Stutter Remover in my mod stack for a month or two back several years ago with my main character. It works as advertised, but I removed both because OBSE causes an extra file to be made each time a save is made and I didn't like that. My main character is at save #11,160 and I go through the latest ones weekly deleting a lot of them, so having to delete two files doubled my work, also my game doesn't stutter that much. Anyway, my game saves and game kept on playing after I removed the two mods and deleted the extra OBSE save files. I go back to old saves all the time and I've never had a problem. At least that's the way it worked for me.

Zosia Cetnar

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:45 pm

Hey there!

Thank you very much for that information. I'm going to try the stutter remover and see how that goes.

Thank you for your response! :)

Cheers!

priscillaaa

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:41 pm

Hey there!

I'm going to download the stutter remover and try it out. It probably won't make the stutter worse.

Thank you for you response! :)

Cheers!

Destinyscharm

Return to IV - Oblivion