why there are ghosts?

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:27 am

Is there a lore-reason for ghosts being out there, in ruins or whatever? I want an answer only from oblivion lore standpoint, if possible

Brιonα Renae

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:54 pm

There isn't very much lore on ghosts that I can find. I looked at UESP and the Imperial Library and neither site had much to say on the subject. Undead enemies like ghosts and skeletons have a long tradition in fantasy stories. I don't think there's much more to it than that.

Greg Swan

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:28 pm

does tes lore cover if and what would "usually" happen to people after they die?

if so, i'd say ghostification is what happens when that goes wrong, just like in earth lore :-)

Rinceoir

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:01 am

There is probably some talk of ghosts in lore occasionally, but the ghosts we see floating around in lairs are just standard undead, like Wyrd said. All medieval RPGs have ghosts (or some form of floating undead) why not TES 4?

There is one ghost though who is named, and has to do with a quest down in Bravil. I'm not sure if this guy appears in any lore or not.

You should probably ask this question in http://www.gamesas.com/forum/16-elder-scrolls-lore/, if you haven't already. You'll get some people fighting to provide better answers than we have. ha ha.

Soraya Davy

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:19 am

Occasionally, you'll get spirits who are bound to Tamriel due to unanswered wishes from their past life. In Skyrim,

Spoiler
a necromancer was able to take advantage of this idea by trapping spirits on the mortal realm.

And in one of the novels, a ghost hangs back for his own wishes.

Universally, to my knowledge, these are the only times we see spirits stick around. Someone either takes advantage of your soul (summoning/necromancy/Dwemer weirdness,) or you yourself wish to stay behind because of some deep attraction.

I've always assumed the rando ghost enemies are the same way. Perhaps they are Ayleids, tormented by the thought of losing their civilization. Or maybe they are previous inhabitants of an area who have had misfortune in their past life in another way:

Spoiler
This is like the Anvil player house mission in Oblivion in which generic ghosts, who are implied to be victims of the mansion's resident necromancer-turned-lich, torment anyone who try to live there.

Sarah Bishop

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:24 am

Those are good answers, DK. I forgot all about the haunted mansion in Anvil quest.

Lavender Brown

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:52 am

There are quite a few named ghost in Oblivion that play a part in the the workings of Cyrodiil:

Spoiler

In addition to the already mentioned Lorgren Benirus of Brenirus Manor, Anvil, there are:

The original Knights of the Nine in the Priory of the Nine undercroft.

The ghost Blades in Sancre Tor.

The ghost of Perennia Draconis at Applewatch.

The Forlorn Watchman out of Bravil.

There are others that appear as Lichs or Wraiths.

Clea Jamerson

Return to IV - Oblivion