Happy 20th Birthday, Daggerfall! Appreciation Thread

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:03 pm

Happy birthday, Daggerfall! You magnificent amalgamation of wonder, ambition, bugginess, infuriating design, great design, and fun. (Coincidentally, Daggerfall's birthday falls exactly one week after mine but I have a few years on it).

What are your favorite moments from the game?

quinnnn

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:51 pm

:tes: Happy 20th Anniversary Daggerfall!!!!!!!! :tes:

As I'm sure I've said many times over the years, Daggerfall and modded Oblivion remain my favorite TES titles. Remove Oblivion's mods and I'm tempted to say that Oblivion is my favorite short-term title while Daggerfall is my favorite long-term title. That said, while I have a good many treasured moments in Oblivion, for me Daggerfall is more a work-horse game to be played and played and played until I can take no more, then following a sometimes short, sometimes lengthy break, take up where my avatar left off and keep on truck'n. That said, though I've played the game off and on since launch I have never completed its Main Quest. I intent to do so this time round, and am indeed fairly close to the end, not that I'm in a great rush to get there. Surely that will be a memorable occasion for me.

Oh...there is one event that I treasure each play-through. Fairly early in the main quest, a certain high-ranking noble tasks our avatars to unearth info about his long missing brother. In the process of doing so, we eventually find a letter written by the lost brother. I find that letter very touching in a .... hmm...I'll not go on lest I spoil things for those who have not yet played the game (or attempted the main quest). In any case reading the letter to completion qualifies as a favorite moment.

I'll think on it some more and try and come up with other memorable moments.

On the subject of Daggerfall in general, I'll state once again that the best way to get acquire it is NOT the various Beth downloads (or purchases as part of a compilation) but rather DaggerfallSetup, which includes official and unofficial bug fixes and some worthwhile extra content. While Setup does not solve every game glitch, it is very stable. I wish my modded Oblivion install was as stable!

remi lasisi

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:50 pm

Off the top of my head, one that I am sure quite a few others have tried before:

Coming from the later games first (Skyrim was my induction into TES), I knew the later lore on Mannimarco. So of course, I am going to ask him some questions about his "buddies" over at the Mages' Guild and Temple of Arkay (which my character is a part of). The slightly paraphrased conversation (can't remember what cities he actually referred to):

"Hey Mannimarco, do you know where I can find a Mages' Guild? Heh heh."

"Oh, you could find one in Wayrest."

"Oh, um, okay. Thanks."

Next question:

"Well, how about a Temple of Arkay? Heh heh heh."

"I believe there is one in Cudirius."

Always found it amusing to do that. :lol:

Ah yes, that letter. Quite depressing, actually. One of the reasons why I [censored] hate Akorithi.

On the Daggerfall download, indeed, I got the latest patched one from UESP. I find it interesting that those two are your favorites, since I have never heard anyone put those two as their top TES games yet (although I realize you said modded Oblivion specifically). May I ask what makes those your top two?

Darren

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:55 pm

Happy birthday, Daggerfall. You rocked my world.

Kaley X

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:54 pm

I remember playing the first release of the game and wondering why guards were showing up whenever I slept on my boat, which was purchased from loans procured from multiple provinces. In retrospect, maybe this would've been a good "feature" (since I had no intention of paying those loans back...).

I'm pretty sure this was also one of the first forums I joined, shortly after being banned from GameFAQs. Boredom and beer bring me back. Also, thanks to Interkarma above for keeping the dream alive.

Edit: Also just realized that Freddo has had the same avatar for 15 years. My, how time flies...

Cathrine Jack

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:16 am

I tried to play it on dosbox a while back, it made me so motion sick to play it. I escaped the first dungeon, and i recall the skeletons had a terrifying screech. Didn't get much farther than that.

kevin ball

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion