Falinesti - 4E264

Post » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:34 am

Falinesti

by Beren - Cartographer

The Walking Forest City of Falinesti is the citadel of Valenwood's most prominent tribe. It is lead by the elders of the Camoran Dynastic lineage who are extraordinarily old even for mer. Their appearance is often unrecognizable to a mistrusted foreigner such as myself. Powerful illusionists, the elders do not reveal their image to foreigners, only ever interacting with visitors in the guise of a local beggar, barkeep or watchmen.

This made for an interesting time working with these elders to properly chart the the route of Falinesti. The historical routes changed often every 100 years or so. When a city or town found itself in the way of the great city, its population was often quite happy as the elders' grand monks had declared all those whose homes were taken in Y'ffre's name would be allowed to enter within the city and live there.

Through stubborn tradition, this is still the only manner of gaining permission to enter the city. In recent years, a great number of makeshift cities have been built up, operated by a number of competing Khajiit clans, who game the system of Falinesti's entry rules, giving city access to travelers at the set price for their makeshift homes. Often these clans would get into bloody conflict with one another. A lone clan member would sometimes be sent to kill the rival clan's customers in attempt to shut down their business.

The clans often had the most accurate records of the course of Falinesti, which I desperately required. Due to this I ended up in a lot more danger on my trip than I had hoped when I received this commission from a wealthy man in Leyawiin, Cyrodiil. I was beaten, drugged and dismembered (finger) during my tenure with these beastfolk, but the vast majority of my research came from this experience. Most of my time spent in the city was in my bed at the inn, sitting upright and transcribing notes to canvas. The art of Cartography does require truly fine art skill when dealing with picky collectors.

As I can tell from my research, the current route began only a decade ago, and the course is predicted to send Falinesti into the Khajitti Desert Kingdom of Anequina. My belief in this course prediction was thoroughly disavowed by the elders. All members berated my opinion simultaneously, a large group of hummingbirds flocked around scolding me in heavily bosmer accented cyrodillic. I felt utterly disrespected and left the city that very night.

I stand by this chart and have it in mind to report my findings to the rival clanleaders of the bosmer province. Perhaps I will milk this project for all the gold I can get.

Rach B

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion