Quests mods

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:05 pm

Hi guys,

I would like to add some quest mods to my game. I'm looking for very well made and polished quest mods (small/medium size) which means for me :

- Bug/CTD free

- Immersive integration into the game (I mean no quests popping out as soon as I activate the .esp file and start the game)

- Lore friendly

- Performance friendly

- Bonus : with voice acting

I prefer quality over quantity : I prefer having one good quest which satisfies the above criteria than a mod that adds 50 boring/repetitive/buggy small quests with no voice acting.

I know a lot of popular quests mods but unfortunately but I haven't played them a lot so I can only base myself on the number of endorsemant and the comments to make a choice.

So I would like to know what are your "must have in every load order" quests which match the above criterias ^^

victoria johnstone

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:50 pm

check sergio1992's reviews on the nexus when looking around for quest mods. You won't regret it

Lillian Cawfield

Post » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:02 am

I think you have a hard time with anything from Bethesda if it is to be bug/ctd free. Even vanilla you will have bugs/glitches and a possible ctd

I have not used any quest mods for Oblivion and for the most part for Oblivion I only use Stutter Remover to help make the game stable enough for me to play for a few hours without the game crashing.

Besides looking up on the nexus you might want to check if any youtubers have used any of the quest mods and made a video using it.

Are you looking for any guest mods that might spruce up an existing quest/faction line.

I have heard some good things from Kvatch Rebuilt. http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/15412/?I might decide to give that one a try at some point if I ever make a character that does the main quest.

Jerry Jr. Ortiz

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:04 am

Integration the Stranded Light, MAlevolent, Tear of The Fiend, Knight of the Nine Revleation, The Lost spires (it pop up from the start but it's a really good story),
The Hole (you can download the fixed version I made as the original had some bugs), Blade of the haunted, Oblivion Content Restoration Project, Oblivion Uncut,The hearth of the dead,
House Valranis, The Ayleid Steps, Verona House Bloodlines, Runied Tales Tale, Reclaiming Sancre Tor, The Kingdom of Shadows, Windfall, Dibella's Watch (there is a bug about laod order but it is an engine bug not a mod one, BOSS will sort correctly),

P.S CTD free is very aleatory with Oblivion, as CTD may be caused by multiple issue that ANY mod can exacerbate. For example memory issues (stack hashes), Oblivion Stutter Remover some heap replacmente may crash the game during the event on certain mod (or if such mods are installed), for me this happened with Malevolent using FASTMM4 heap I had a certain CTD on certain event).

ALso the perfomance depend on which other mods you installed and your specification of PC (a modern CPU doesn't automatically mean that Oblivion can run better))
Aliish Sheldonn

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:39 pm

I quite liked playing through http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/5156/- it's not terribly long but the quests are fun, with some nice little puzzles and surprises along the way. There is voiceacting, the mod seemed lorefriendly throughout, I believe there was a conflict with Enhanced Economy but there was a patch available. The one unfortunate thing is that the mod, while wrapping up its own story, drops some tantalizing hints for a sequel that was never released. But overall, it's a fun mod and I recommend it!

Sara Lee

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:57 pm

Here's a great resource that might help get you started: http://www.darkcreations.org/oblivion-quest-mods/wiki/Main_Page

D LOpez

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:10 pm

@undecidedaboutOOO : I'll have a look, thanks !

@Erzherzoghans: I am sure there are some top quality quest mods out there ^^ Thanks for the suggestion. Kvatch Rebuilt seems to have some bugs (I just looked at the page). I am sure this is a fantastic mod but I am a bit hesitant if I should add it or not.

@llde : Thank you for the list, llde.

I heavily modded a lot Oblivion recently with different overhauls (FCOM, etc) and other types of mods (UL, BC, visuals ... except quests, that is why I ask), so I know about stability, performance and CTDs (and I worked hard on my installation to minimize the stability issue and optimize performance :P). When I say "CTD free" I wanted to say "non bugged quests", which will not force me to use console commands to continue and will not make me crash for some script related to the quest reason. Ideally quests mods which will not increase the probability to have a crash ^^

Some mods you listed seem to be a little to big for me. Integration has some requirements and I think is not compatible with Oblivion Character Overhaul.(?). Oblivion Content Restoration Project and Oblivion Uncut are already part of my list.^^ I think I will definitely add The Lost Spires with a delayer and the Ayleid Steps, I really like what I read about them.

@Crackomint : thanks Crackomint ! This mods is very interesting. In fact I already decided to add it. :P and thank you for pointing out the conflict with EE.

@Pseron : This will help me a lot. Many thanks !

x a million...

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:11 pm

Try http://wiki.theassimilationlab.com/QuestList/The_Quest_Lists as well as what Pseron linked to. There are some great quests between these two sites. You should find all you want and more.

Enjoy!

BRIANNA

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:13 pm

Thanks Malonn, these links will really help me to make a choice ^^

Miss K

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:14 pm

I'll second The Lost Spires and Ayleid Steps, I'm playing through them right now and they've been high-quality so far. Haven't finished them but unless something very surprising happens I'll heartily recommend them :)

Ashley Hill

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:32 pm

wow ! nice list ! thanks all :)

bookmarked !

me want to follow this thread

lucile

Post » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:47 am

Heya, I was suggested these by syscrusher, the rathunas's maker.

• Reclaiming Sancre Tor is a very high-quality mod (you might want to get it from TESAlliance.org rather than the Nexus, or at least make sure the Nexus has the latest version. The author is more connected with TESA than with Nexus, so I think TESA may be a later version. I found some parts of it to be a little bit fetch-quest-ish, but overall I was fairly impressed.

• Kvatch Rebuilt is fun all around.

• I haven't actually played it yet, but Exploring the Great Temple of Aerryanil looks very interesting, and I'll probably give it a try soon.

• Mr. Bear's armory quest (I can't recall the full name if it) was fun also. I found a Tardis bug in his dungeon, but this was a minor nit that I only picked because I'm an engineer in real life and can't help noticing stuff like that. It doesn't interfere with gameplay. The quest reward is your choice of some rather cool armor.

My top picks:

- Rathunas

- Almost all the stuff by David brasher

- the lost spires (once or twice will suffice, I guess)

- Verona house bloodlines

- The stuff by jaime74 (e.g Blade of the haunted)

- Ivellon

- Anduril

- Hoarfrost castle (if you are into castle)

- Brutal underground

I liked:

The Return Of The Dark Brotherhood
    Ungarions Memoirs 1 The Welkynd Sword
    The naked nord (meh, though)

An unexpected company

I don't recommend at all:

Tears of the fiend

Malevolent (it ends abruptly and doesn't have an ending)

Ruined Tales Tale (according to me it is so bad it is laughable)

Frostcrag reborn

Armageddon

spooky house
    Eastbrink town (cute but no quest, and a free house)

Moriarcis

Lissalda
    Trolls under bridges
    Heroes of cyrodil
    none of giskard mods
    Reapers BleakerWay Revamp and Quest
    Mannimarco resurrection
    Haunted House Quest by Kane1045
    Gates to Aesgard Episode 1+2

Farm house with secrets

Could have missed some quest mods but you can look around. Got a word file containing all my reviews and had to check it to copy it there. Happy oblivion!

Laura Shipley

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Thank you Sergio, I really appreciate your suggestions and will help a lot to make a choice ^^

I recently heard about Rathunas, I just visited the village for testing , and this is amazing. The new musics and voices add a lot to immersion (I made a quick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWZTGibdbqA about it)

Right now I put in my load order :

The Lost Spire, Ayleid Steps, Rathunas, Thievery,

And some other mods I liked which add quests (but not only) : Let The people Drink, Region Revive Lake Rumare, Elsweyr Anequina ...

I will probably add some of your top picks. And I think I am good to occupy myself between two Vanilla quests :P

Jade MacSpade

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:06 pm

If you're planning to use Elsweyr Anequina I would like to suggest using http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/22555/? by Eldarie as well. They merge together seamlessly with a compatibility patch and extend the explorable land all the way from Anvil to Leyawiin. Valenwood Improved and Elsweyr Anequina go together like bread and butter, fish and chips, cheese and crackers, salt and pepper, milk and cookies and various other combinations of delicious foods that compliment each other almost to perfection. :liplick:

Jeremy Kenney

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:28 pm

Thank you for the suggestion,I already have it :) First I installed Elsweyr Anequina, then I saw this mod, and I thought the same and had to install it too ^^

I don't know if it adds quest, but it is huge and beautiful, and even more with visuals/graphics mods, perfect for screenshots.

I found this http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/46659/? so I can see the new landscapes on the map :)

Peter P Canning

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:22 pm

I suggest you to not install all the quest mods you are going to complete at the same time. Play vanilla game to some point when you want to try a custom content, make a separate save, install a quest mod, complete it, revert to that save and try the next mod, repeat.

Keep in mind that I mentioned "if you want to complete" them. A lot of people install them for their landscape additions or other provided content, to have more npcs, to make the world more various and lively, but they actually don't intend to complete their questlines or postpone playing them.

carla

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I am maybe a part of this kind of people ^. I don't want to add a quest, play it, then remove it. I wanted to have advices about very good quest mods which are well integrated into game, but also which make the world a little less "empty".

For example I have choosen :

- Rathunas for the new village near Brena River (100% voiced)

- The Northern Front with its beautiful camp north of Bruma (voiced too)

- Let the people drink for the new aqueduc

- Elsweyr and Valenwood for the amazing land addition

- The Lost Spire : new guild with their new castle

- Region Revive for all the modifications it makes to the imperial isle (in a fps friendly way)

- Some Arthmoor's villages

etc

I like what these mods add into the world but I have no idea when I will start these quests. Except for Region Revive : I think it is interesting start the quests after exiting the sewers ^^

My goal is to have a definitive load order (don't want to change it everyday) which will create an interesting and enjoying world for my new character.

LADONA

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:50 pm

I'll just throw out my usual warning when folks start planning their ultimate load order and are concerned about fps.

The two biggest culprits for fps are:

1. lots of objects in an area with high-res graphics

2. high population density.

The game-engine limitations can't let you have it all. So you ultimately have to make some trade offs. For example, a combination like crowded cities + better cities + plus mods that add a lot of scripting/tokens to actors that are "active" all the time is going to drag things down quite a bit. Some mods take that into account and offer "performance" options that will cut back on content or provide short cuts if the fps is too low. There may also be updated alternative versions of mods that have better performance.

So basically adding more content is fine, as long as it is spread out without too much overlap and has minimal pockets of high density populations. It's definitely a balancing act, and everyone has a different experience in terms of what works best for them.

Generally speaking, the fps problems will show up in exterior settings. Interiors rarely cause problems even when overhauled with more content because interior cells are isolated from the main game world and have lower population densities.

Kayleigh Williams

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:42 pm

Thanks for the warnings Saebel. I know, I just spent my last 500 hours in Oblivion testing every kind of mods. I definitely understood that "more mods" is not always better for Oblivion.

My mods are carefully choosen and optimized by my hands (texture optimization, meshes optimization, esp cleaned and tweaked, Oblivion.ini optimization). Trade offs I made : No Better Cities, no heavy LOD mods, not too much scripted mods, just a few unique landscapes, I test the performance impact of every mod I add.

By this I can achieve 50-60fps average outside, 30 FPS in the "heaviest" areas, this with ENB graphics+OR, stable of course. (even more if I replace ENB with ENBoost)

carly mcdonough

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:20 pm

3 fun dungeons-based mods you could be interested in:

Lynges Stories fron the sea (http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/12100/?) It doesn't have a pop-up, so it integrates into your game seamlessly. Dungeons and monsters are related to sea environments which makes this mod unique.

The Well Diver (http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/30271/?) Again, not annonying pops-up. Secret dungeons hidden inside common wells across Cyrodiil. If using Basic Primary Needs, remember to change the activate key for using wells (filling cantines/drinking) in the BPN ini so both mods are compatible.

Descent into the Necropolis (http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/37394/?) Same author as above. No pops-up either. As the other mods above, you have to do some exploring/investigating before finding the dungeon, in this case, a very atmospheric underground complex below the Imperial City.

The first two mods don't have an overarching goal, so you can complete one dungeon and go your merry way until you feel ready to gor crawling the next one, or never visit those areas at all.

Alyna

Post » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:31 am

for Integration you could simply use the "Integration Integrated" version and use the no gameplay changes option. With the Integrated version there are no requirements and you can play without the gameplay changes, so worse case scenerio is the NPCs in Integration might look a bit different.
Lexy Corpsey

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:08 pm

Oooh, I'm about to start a character who spends a lot of time around the Imperial City. This sounds like a perfect mod for her. Thank you very much!

Joanne Crump

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:23 pm

@Dennai : Very interesting, I didn't know at all about these mods, I'll have a look (:

@phoenix : Cool, thanks for the info. I am still a bit hesitant about this one (and about its compatibility with Robert Males Body Replacer, HGEC, Oblivion Character Overhaul). But one day I will try it for sure !

Natasha Callaghan

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:45 pm

I had never seen Rathunas myself, didn't knew about its existence, even when I browse Nexus all the time since years... Thank you for this thread and for the recommendations!

Sam Parker

Return to IV - Oblivion