Gotham TV Show

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:43 pm

I think this show is brilliant. It has just enough drama, action, and over the top bizarre to make it what I would imagine Gotham to really be like. I love seeing the stories of all the characters before the events of "Batman" and how they become to be the master criminals they are today. I also think Robin Lord Taylor's character as Penguin is absolutely phenomenal. I just hope this show continues because I really want to see young Bruce Wayne become Batman!

Any other Gotham Fans around? If not you can watch seasons 1 & 2 on Netflix! :goodjob:

Emily Shackleton

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:21 pm

I like it a lot. Gordon, Oswald, Selena, Fish, and Alfred are my favorite characters. I remember how wasteful I thought it was when

Spoiler
Fish took a tumble off the roof of a tall building

at the end of season 1. What did I know, hunh? Lol

Oh and that red headed dude in season 1 and 2 was spot on for The Joker. Too bad

Spoiler
he isn't

Jonathan Montero

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:22 pm

^ Yeah, there really are many great characters, and yes It's really cool how that whole situation is working out. lol

I really didn't give much thought about spoilers before posting this. Don't want to ruin it for anyone :)

Dan Stevens

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:48 pm

I really like what they've done with Gordon's character. Dude is badass. Also, I think the actress that plays Selena must have studied cats or something, because she has a lot of cat like mannerisms.
matt

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:12 am

I watched the first season. It started good, but now it's just terrible.

The new season is recasting poison ivy to be older and hotter because a little kid doesn't sell. Somehow Bruce and Selena are teamed up with each other as kids, but then don't know who they are when they're older (like Selena doesn't guess the kid vigilante billionaire partner she had is Batman when they're older).

Harvey dent is like 20 years older than Bruce (pretty much every villain is) and when you think about it, it makes Batman seem less impressive because apparently he's beating on senior citizens.

If you no nothing about Batman, it's cool, but if you know Batman, it's terrible and inconsistent. If I didn't know about Batman I'd definitely like it more.
Crystal Clear

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:00 am

There's really nothing super consistent about the Batman concept in general except for the characters themselves. I was introduced to Batman in the 70's with the TV shows (Adam West). That show was anything but consistent. So, approaching the series with an entirely new twist makes it that much more interesting to me. I also don't see a problem with some of the villains being 15-20 years older than Bruce. They do all go through some pretty radical changes that can make any age difference seem insignificant. I think Bruce is 15 or 16 now, so I don't believe it's such a stretch.

As far as Ivy is concerned, I don't necessarily think they are recasting her for the reason you stated. I think they are just showing how she goes from a shy little kid to the psycho she eventually becomes. The entire show is a precursor to the more widely known stories after all. I think it will be interesting.

Pawel Platek

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:25 pm

Yeah, the Gordon character is getting really good. Heck, all the characters are really good even side-kicks like Butch. I think the Oswald and Nygma relationship is pretty funny too. These two together are gonna be crazy lol.

Facebook me

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:36 am

Yeah I'm guessing the pipe Ivy fell into was full of Miracle Gro. Lol
Anna S

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:39 pm

Or is that what you're supposed to think? Remember...

Spoiler
Hugo Strange knows how to bring back the dead. I'd expect the Joker to be one of those experiments later on

Clea Jamerson

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:32 am

That's what I was thinking.

ImmaTakeYour

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:44 pm

Well, there is that, but, IMO it's pretty crappy that all these people got a "get out of death free card".
Samantha Mitchell

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Well I've seen multiple sources indicate that they specifically recast poison ivy so they can make her sixy and seductive. Which they didn't want to do with a 14 year old actress.

http://m.hitfix.com/harpy/gotham-recast-poison-ivy-actress-to-make-her-sixier

And I'm sorry, but the Adam west Batman was universally seen as a terrible adaptation of Batman in a time when comic book characters were seen as goofy cartoon characters and the only reason people watch it is for childhood nostalgia and to laugh at how terrible it is.

The same reason that Batman and Robin is universally seen as the worst Batman movie and one of the worst movies of all time period (most top 10 worst movies of all time have this on the list).

I don't see how using a terrible tv show as argument to back up the current Gotham show is relevant at all, as I've never seen or heard anybody use the Adam west Batman as gold standard to what a Batman media "should" be (honestly I'm surprised Batman went on to become popular after the Adam west Batman, it's that bad)

Most people go into Gotham because they love Batman (many of these people wouldn't have started watching the show if it was in a completely different universe unrelated to Batman), and probably want some consistency to the stories of Batman they know and love (and again, I don't know anybody who -loves- Adam west Batman and want to see more of it).

It's one thing changing an origin story here and there, but to completely change the entire concept of Batman and to arbitrarily change your own stories half way through in order to have a sixier casting is bad form in my opinion.

By all means, go ahead and love the show. But me personally as a Batman fan, and going into the show as a Batman fan, it just changes too much to even resemble anything Batman that I love, and so my personal preference is that I don't like the show for those specific reasons.

I've noticed many of my female friends who don't regularly like comic book movies or shows are mainly the people I see watching and loving Gotham, if that's any indication to the target audience of the tv show or not (I know anecdote isn't evidence )
Kellymarie Heppell

Return to Othor Games