Lessons for those moving out for the first time?

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:55 pm

I'm moving out from my father's home for the first time at the age of 22. What should I keep in mind as I formally flee the nest?

I'd also appreciate any stories, common pitfalls or words of wisdom that our sage community could offer :D

Marine Arrègle

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:26 am

Make sure the plumbing is OK. First night of living on my own I had a bunch of irate National Front skinheads banging furiously on my door about the water leaking into their flat below.

Scared the living crap out of me having that lot turn up on my doorstep.

joseluis perez

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:23 pm

Save, save, save :P Don't buy things you don't need, and make sure to pay your rent on time. Other than that, living on your own is quite liberating to say the least.

mimi_lys

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:45 pm

Thanks for the tip, I don't want my doorstep to look like something out of the Nuremberg rally :lol:

Edit: Godwin's law - Check

Luis Reyma

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:36 pm

Make sure you plan ahead with your money. It shocks me how some people never learn how to do this. Other than that enjoy yourself. Get out and explore your new neighborhood. Meet people.

When I first moved out it was into a dorm, and then a series of houses and apartments with at least one and sometimes many roommates. So much fun, even with the occasional interpersonal hassles.

butterfly

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:30 pm

I'm quite parsimonious as it is so I'm hoping I'll adapt well to the financial constraints. Well so I think... :tongue:

mike

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:48 pm

My experience is atypical. At age 17 I dropped out of high school and lived on the streets for a couple of years. So most of the things I learned will probably not apply to you. But I do have one piece of advice: strive to take people seriously and strive to treat them with respect, whenever you can. You're going to be depending on strangers a lot more now. You never know when you're going to need help, and if you have made some friends along the way you may get it.

Good luck with your new life! Leaving home can be frightening and exhilarating. You will probably remember this next year for the rest of your life. Try to enjoy it. It will never happen again. And don't let yourself get too stressed out. Talk over your problems with friends. It helps. You may not be living with family but that doesn't mean you're alone. Don't let yourself become isolated. Make it a regular point to see people, do things, have fun.

I guess that was more than one piece of advice. :)

Dan Wright

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:30 pm

The way I see it there's pro's and cons to both living on your own or "failure to launch".

Pros to living on your own:

Your house your rules.

Cons to Living on your own:

No one to help split the rent.

Living on a VERY strict budget .

If you svck at making friends or getting a date

you're constantly alone.

Pros to "Failure to Launch:

Rent is split evenly there for more money

to use it as you see fit.

Not having to worry about having a roof

over your head.

Parents pass away you get the house.

Cons to failure to launch:

Women might not like the idea. This might be a good thing as you can tell what the woman's true colors are, but again dating life might suffer so choose your poison.

Their house, their rules. Unless your parents aren't as tight as mine. As long as I pay my rent and my set of bills then all is good.

Credit might suffer but if you're like me that don't depend on credit then ignore this.

Again it's a choose your own poison, if you can handle the constant loneliness and want to be on your own then have at it. If your like me and don't like the idea of being alone 24/7 and want some stability then stay at home with the folks.

TIhIsmc L Griot

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:43 am

Get to know your neighbours.

You don't have to go introduce yourself, but say "Hi" when you see them and remember their faces. Especially if it's an apartment building.

You never know when you might need to borrow a screwdriver, or something like that. It often helps to know who your immediate community is.

Trey Johnson

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:25 pm

Yeah. I didn't for a long time because I'm so shy, but eventually discovered that some of them were nice people.

Buy a can opener and a bottle opener, and make sure the toilet roll stash never becomes too depleted.
luis ortiz

Return to Othor Games