[Ask] Low budget VGA card ($80-$120) for Morrowind

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:33 pm

Greeting & salutation!

I'm planning to buy a new VGA card. My low budget is around $80 - max $120. Yes it's low budget because I have to buy another monitor too. What I want from this new VGA card is:

• able to play MW & run MGE XE smoothly. I don't play recent games, really :P (well, just some puzzle/point 'n click adventure games)

• able for dual monitor for job (need a lot of space for viewing many charts)

My PC spec is:

• Proc: AMD Athlon II X4 635

• MB: Gigabyte GA-MA74GMT-S2 with Integrated ATI Radeon 2100 Graphics, which not able to run MGE XE

• RAM: 4 GB + 2 GB DDR3 PC10600 (this is the fastest speed supported by the mainboard)

How about nVidia Geforce GT 730 2 GB 128-bit GDDR3? Is it fit for my purpose? Or there's any better option or suggestion?

:thanks:

Alan Whiston

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:52 pm

Well, it depends on which other mods you want to use. If you want no other graphics mods (well, except possibly some older texture replacers and the standard stuff like Better Bodies), you should not get any problems with that, and after all, MGE XE is highly configurable, so you'll just have to try and see which settings work for you. If you are mainly interested in distant land, you should not get much trouble, even my laptop's crappy integrated chip can run it (not very good, but it would be playable). When it comes to additional things like shadows, water reflections, shaders, per-pixel lighting , etc., you'll just have to check what works for you.

When it comes to a modded Morrowind, people are usually rather cpu limited than by their graphics cards. Since Morrowind can only use one core, the single thread performance of your cpu is important if you intend to use a certain amount of (non-graphics) mods. Your cpu should be quite alright, if you don't overdo it.

So, yes, I'd say for pure Morrowind+MGE XE Distant Land you should be perfectly fine with this GPU. You'll have to see for yourself what will work on top of that in terms of MGE effects and additional mods. Dual monitor work will certainly be no problem at all.

jesse villaneda

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:45 am

I think 750 TI is in the same price range with ~4x performance (according to passmark GPU benchmarks). . I used one with dual 1920x1080 monitors for a few years, a few years ago, it worked well for heavily modded Morrowind for me, totally CPU limited even with higher end one.

John N

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:54 pm

Greeting & salutation (again)!

Well, since I want those additional things & mods, looks like I'll buy 750 TI...

I won't use massive mods such MSGO or MW Rebirth. No offense, it doesn't mean I hate it :P. I prefer to choose mods individually.

Um, a question: how do I know the single thread performance of my cpu?

Yes, looks like I'll buy 750 TI :wink_smile:

Thank you Pherim & sveng!

May you walk on warm sands... Hrrrrr.....

Shaylee Shaw

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:30 am

Well, there are benchmark programs that can test it, but by itself the value says nothing, of course. One way is to look your CPU up https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html and compare with other ones, another is to test and submit a score to compare yourself. A free program you can do that with is for example http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html.

Melly Angelic

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:01 am

Thank you. Well, the score is under 1000, but I think it's okay :lol:

Lucy

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:16 pm

Yes, if you don't intend to run too many mods, you should get no problems.

Wane Peters

Return to III - Morrowind