Movie: Logan [Wolverine Story?]

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:27 am

Just saw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Div0iP65aZo (YouTube link) trailer for Fox's new X-Men movie, simply called "Logan." It looks good and the use of Johhny Cash's song "I hurt Myself" was an excellent touch :)

Looking forward to seeing how they unfold this story :)

Verity Hurding

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:29 pm

I apologize in advance but I can't help nitpicking this. I hurt myself is not "Johnny Cash's song." It is Nine Inch Nail's song. Johnny Cash's recording is just a cover version.

Carry on with your conversation... :)

A Boy called Marilyn

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:31 am

Just to pick these nits some more: the song was written by http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/trent-reznor-talks-johnny-cash-168199 (of NIN) and is called "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0bZtf5MCzY"

I'm sure I heard an interview once where Trent said that Johnny's version was so good that it was more his than Trents now. Something along those lines anyway.

Darren Chandler

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:58 pm

Nit-Picked and appreciated :)

I wasn't sure of the name of the song, so thanks for that correction, too :)

Laura Simmonds

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:11 am

I'm pretty sure that everyone on the planet that isn't very aware of Reznor or Cash thinks "Hurt" is a Johnny Cash song, though. Cash's version has been used in a bunch of films and TV shows lately. I've lost count of the number of times I've corrected people. A couple of months ago I was talking to someone that insisted that "Rusty Cage" (Soundgarden) was also a Johnny Cash song. I couldn't convince her otherwise without the help of Google. ;) This same person insisted that "Roses Are Free" is a Phish song (it isn't).

N3T4

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:31 pm

so... Any thoughts on the topic?

LittleMiss

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:05 pm

You don't want to know what I think.

Travis

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:25 pm

I think..... there will be tears.
Emily Martell

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:57 am

Ah Wolverine.

Canadians had such a hard time in the comics.

He's Canadian (hopefully still is because they killed Superman, broke Batman's Back, turned Thor into a girl and are killing the Huik).

Part of Canada's top secret "Weapon X" program and I don't think they expected him to be as big a hit as he was.

There seemed to be an unwritten rule that Canadian Super-Heroes weren't allowed to be "too cool".

Vindicator had a pretty cool suit and powers, even though it was based on a Canadian Flag it looked good...

So they killed him and only let him come back as a girl.

Sasquatch... was kind of cool... really big and strong... had a unique look... but threatened to be a little "too cool" so they fixed him by coloring him orange.

Not sure what the Wonder Twins did... I think their special power was the ability to speak a 2nd language... French.

Then we had Shaman... but the height of creative power at this time felt that a native american indian Super Hero would just dress like a native american indian from the 1800's and be a medicine man.

Let's hope they're not going to maul his Canadian legacy too badly in this new generation of "Hollywood Knows Best: Let's show you what we think you want"... leading to horrible disasters like the unforgiveable "Spider-Man 3".

Rob Smith

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:13 am

This looks brilliant, I'm really looking forward to this. I didn't dislike the original X-Men movies, and I quite liked the reboots (barring Apocalypse, haven't yet seen it). But I felt completely burned out with Wolverine. I never liked how he got the spotlight, and I felt that he was terribly overexposed. However, this new take on the character (movie-wise) looks fantastic. This looks like more than a good comic book movie, this looks like a classic in the making.

Joey Bel

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:25 pm

Wow, just what the world needs, another movie about Wolverine...

Frank Firefly

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:22 am

@Azrael00, That was an excellent summation! I agree that there will always be a possibility that Hollywood will find a way to screw up any "adaptation." Something about this trailer caught my eye, though. Being a fan of Wolverine and especially his purposely unknown past, this seems to be moving things forward :)

It seems like a good "hand-off" type movie. Logan may be done and this "new girl" may take up the burdens. Who knows? Something about that trailer just struck me right :)

Isaiah Burdeau

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:43 am

It's also going to be R-Rated. This will likely be a much grittier, darker Wolverine story.

Nicholas C

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:55 am

Those are literally all things that were done in the comics years ago with the exception of turning thor into a girl which was recent. But yeah the movies aren't changing much.
yessenia hermosillo

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:23 pm

Canada is more famous for it's super villains, like Bryan Adams and Justin Bieber.

Catharine Krupinski

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:56 am

You know Wolverine is a girl now right? :P Actually that is who the little girl in Logan is, the female Wolverine. So it might be her origin story.

Also where the heck did all the mutants go? They all disappeared? Did the X-Men really screw up? I mean in Days of Future Past at least they are alive, now in the new verse, there is non but Logan now and Charles? Maybe they should have never went and changed the past now.

Yes I do. This is a discussion forum after all. :)

Emma Pennington

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:40 am

I hope so. I remember reading the very first issue of whatever series of X-men that was as a kid, and I was shocked. In the very first couple of pages, the huge, beastly, totally over the top hairy Logan gets attacked by some dudes in the bar, completely rips them apart, blood and swears everywhere, and then he throws a couple of coins towards the bartender and says "Here's for the damage. Oh, and I took a giant dump in the bathroom". His savagery and snide comments only got worse from there. :P Actually, the movie scene in the new X-Men where they find him in the bar and try to recruit him, only for him to turn around and tell them to f off, perfectly depicted his comic book character. :D

Glu Glu

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:18 pm

It looks like the movie is taking elements from the old man Logan story arch, which in the comics takes place in the future after mysterio uses his illusions to make it look like enemies attack the x mansion and wolverine kills them all only to find out they were the x men and since stops using his claws.

Of course in that arch the super villains run the earth and red skull and hulk gang own the united states.

There's a lot they can't do because they don't have the rights to other marvel villains and only x men related villains. So you're gonna see a lot of differences from the old man Logan story.

But I think they'll make the mutants killed by professor x or wolverine. As we see by wolverine it's quite far into the future.
jessica sonny

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:57 pm

Did not know that The Sentinel. I stopped collecting comics in the mid or late 90s. Only reason I knew the New Wolverine is a woman is from IGN keeping me updated when I read, "what's new this week in comics" :P

I am curious should I see if I can find a trade paper back for Old Man Logan? Is it a great read?

Honey Suckle

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:10 pm

Same here, Davor. And thanks Sentinel for those updates! The last Wolverine book I bought were 3 thin graphic novels back in the early 90's(?). Before that, I was a huge X-Men and wolverine fan :)

e.Double

Return to Othor Games