Good, actual armour mods

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:10 am

"Immersive weapons" does a good job of making Oblivion's weapons diverse (even if it doesn't do so well on explaining material types); however, now the lack of diverse armour looks odd. So I went looking for armour mods on the Nexus, and found almost *nothing.

So I came over here to ask about armour mods that have actual armour. The kind that protects both male and female, and those all-important stomach, collar-bone, side, thigh, and shin hit locations.

...Well, from a non-game mechanics perspective, armour that visually looks like it protects said areas.

* Evidently there's some gross miscommunication on what "armour" is; namely, the presence or lack thereof of full-body protection. AKA: Most of those should probably be in a different category.

JAY

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:17 am

I have found Armamenterium Complete. All is (probably) well.

Zach Hunter

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:59 pm

You mean: excluding the skimpy ones? I belive you may exclude them from the search by using tag search, or advanced search. Or even exclude some categories from viewing at all.

Are you interested in mods that add many armours at once? If so, try some Overhaul that adds many sets, like Francesco, or Maskar Oblivion Overhaul. If not, there are quite a few mods that adds one or two sets of armour.

Darren Chandler

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:38 pm

Anything that wouldn't actually count as armour if some theoretical, hypothetical "real person" in the gameworld wore it. My second reaction to most such pictures is generally "...That is terrible armour, though." "I mean, you're not Supergirl, you know."[/misquoteAuntMay]

...*This is what happens to your brain when you've watched HEMA (Historial European Martial Arts) videos. Lots of them.

The Francesca Overhaul mod I found had creatures, items, and a few gameplay changes, and seemed to have no option for just the items. The armour looked nice, though, and I'll try to remember to download it to see if it has separate esps later, but I think I got four nights of sleep last week.

Just checked out Maskar's overhaul, and I like the description, thanks. Gonna see if I can find a Youtube video or something to give more info than the description. Also, a few things I already have mods for.

* Also you end up disliking spikes on armour, overly-large weapons, shields that don't offer coverage or manoeuvrability, axes with another axe-head on the back (axes are about the same weight as swords, and neither are heavy, but with most of the weight offset from the end, adding another axe-head on the back may improve your hit options, but not enough to compensate for a weapon nearly twice as heavy), hammers that...Ok, just look at pictures from pretty near any D&D rulebook from 3.0 on. At 7.8 kg per cubic decimeter, you're looking at upwards of 10 kg. Greatswords, by comparison, almost never hit 8 kg, and the heavier ones were wielded like quarterstaves, complete with the first third of the blade being blunt, to use as more handle. Now, put a 10 kg potato sack on the end of a golf club and try to swing that around... ...I didn't even realize I was rambling until I started the "potato sack" sentence.

...Off-topic'd my own thread...

Rhysa Hughes

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:47 pm

I actually read that "off-topic" with interest. And judging by that, you'll probably like http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/28537/?MOBS - Medieval Oblivion Equipment Balance System.

I don't think that Francesco has the option to only use Items portion of the overhaul, but I'm not really sure about that.

michael flanigan

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:56 pm

Thanks; looks like one I'll like, too.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to ask: Do you know anything about its compatibility with mods that add new weapons and armour? I mean, is it changing formulas, or editing values directly?

I've thought about looking into how to mod Oblivion, but... As someone with ADD, that's how it starts...

Eileen Collinson

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:09 pm

If you're interested, I made a thread: http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1609976-ahistorical-accuracy/

Alyesha Neufeld

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:51 pm

Ooh this thread is going to help me out as well. Thanks for posting!
Dawn Porter

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:36 pm

MOBS edits the values directly. With the use of BOSS for Oblivion it will be sorted as one of the first mods to load. So any other changes to the weapons (made by other mods) will overwrite MOBS stats for said weapon unless... you use Wrye Bash.

WB will merge all of the changes made with it's bashed patch. So use WB if you want all the mods changes to be maintained. Otherwise only changes from the later loaded mod wins. So for example you will loose MOBSified stats, because some other mod overwrites the weapon's script, or enchantment or name. Same goes not only for weapons of course, but for many other changes that any mod can make, like NPCs stats, or looks or whatever.

EDIT: as for compatibility with mods that adds new weapons (it does not affect armour): try the mod in my signature MOBSification of MODS. Of course, you can just use TES4Edit to change the stats of weapons in any mod. If you want that to be consistent with MOBS spirit, use the spreadsheet with stats for default wepons as a comparison. You can download that from MOBS nexus page, optional files. Read the description on my mod if you want more details about how to MOBSify and stuff.

Chris Guerin

Return to IV - Oblivion