What other series has good Lore?

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:17 pm

What non-TES series have good Lore, in your opinion?

-__^

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:08 am

I always loved the Original (AKA pre-ubisoft) Might and Magic lore.. sadly, after NWC went under we will never get to truly know what happened to the Ancients and the actual cause of "The Silence"..

the Neverwinter Nights games had quite a bit of lore, granted most of it is drawn from Forgotten Realms in general..

Deus Ex has some interesting stuff..

in all honesty, most large franchises (Be they RPG, action game, even 2d fighting games) have some really deep and complex lore, whether its "good" or not comes down to personal taste and opinion.. no one on these forums can tell you a setting who's lore you would enjoy, we can only tell you the ones we do.

Fluffer

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:56 am

Warcraft

Zelda

Final fantasy
Amanda Furtado

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:20 pm

yeah, Warcraft has some amazing lore.. Zelda's isn't to bad either, although the "shattering of time" thing post OoT felt a bit like a cop out

as for Final Fantasy.. which Final Fantasy? they are all in separate universes :P

leni

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:41 am

Dark Souls

There's an entire community dedicated to unraveling the mysteries of the lore.

Portions

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:52 pm

The Suikoden series. Well, before the portable games for DS and PSP were released :P
Eve Booker

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:01 am

The Halo universe has very extensive lore behind it, spanning beyond just the games and into other mediums with novels, comics, webisodes (which have all been bad), and so forth.

I'm know the basics of it and don't care to learn anymore than that but a good number of Halo fans are really into it. I hear some of the novels are actually really good.
Nicole Kraus

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:00 am

Dishonored, though maybe it's too sparse to really give it an upvote.

The Witcher series is based on a group of novels by a Polish writer, Andrzej Sapkowski, who's been very successful (tv series, movies, etc.). I've read most of the books and they're pretty good.

VtMB - Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. One of my all-time favorite games, and the setting (from a tabletop RPG) is fantastic, though you need a fair amount of goth tolerance. There's another earlier game in the same setting, but it's pretty meh.

Planescape: Torment - one of the most acclaimed games/CRPGs of all-time, based on the D&D Planescape setting. Technically not a series, but the story and lore are deeper than most entire game series combined (though they had a lot to draw on from the tabletop source books).

I thought Dragon Age Origins and the first two Mass Effect games had a lot of potential for their settings, but wasn't happy with how they developed. YMMV.

jaideep singh

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:23 am

When you use the word "series" are you talking about game series? Book series? Movie series?

In game series I have always found the Warcraft universe to be strangely interesting. I beagn the series with World of Warcraft and after a few months I felt compelled to read up on the history behind what I was seeing in the game

I have always liked the Forgotten Realms universe too. The lore behind games like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights is pretty interesting to me. This is a real modern-day folktale, in my opinion. It has been added to and modified by many hands over many years, just as folk tales usually are. It bears the stamp of many imaginations but somehow it seems to cohere pretty well, for me.

When it comes to book series I like Tolkien's legendarium. It is the one aspect of his writing I think he got truly right. I'm not too enthused about the books themselves but I love the rich, evocative lore he created to surround the books.

Kelvin Diaz

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:54 am

Oh, heh. Honorable mention: Warhammer. Not exactly a series, but has a ton of both tabletop books and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_Workshop_video_games

40K in particular is popular, it was originally a satire of over the top grimdark science fantasy crossed with heavy-metal attitude, though later writers seemed to take the material seriously. I'm not a fan, but there's a ton of lore.

And of course there's that one setting with space monks wielding laser swords. What was that called again? Space Wars? Star Battles? My favorites in that particular universe is KOTOR 1 & 2, but I've only played a few of the hundred-odd games that have been released. I've been tempted to check out SWTOR, though.

Alexandra Ryan

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:56 am

I was under the impression it was a multiverse thing.

Another vote for Halo lore, its great. Very extensive. I recommend the books.

Call me silly but I love the lore of Dragonball. It's pretty surprisingly deep.
luis ortiz

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:15 am

Indeed, but you have to dig deep and read between the lines to get that. And after you do, you want to let that world die.
Also i like to think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SVM5Q2NXyM complements the lore, especially the third game's final boss music's later half ;)
Lothric had it right, let it all end.

[censored] stylish game, that third one, i'm glad i played the masochist long enough to finish it :hehe:
Sunny Under

Post » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Warcraft and Mass Effect. The world of Thedas is also very rich and compelling if you read the books, I'm just not a fan of how it is delivered through the games. The best lore for me remains TES though, I loved it at first sight and I always go back to reading the books and the speculation forums. I wish they published more official novels between games.
Verity Hurding

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:42 am

Star Wars.

willow

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:27 am

Dishonored and Avatar (Airbender/Korra) are the universes in which I'm personally most interested. Dishonored lore feels so rich and grounded and well-realized, and Avatar lore is just badass and epic.

Matthew Aaron Evans

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:41 am

Fable actually had some really interesting lore with Albion once being ruled by 3 godlike figures named King, Queen and Jack. A Hero (the ancestor of all heroes from which their power can be traced to) stepped forward and battled them. Killing the King, banishing the Queen and Jack escaping (only to return in the first game). I always hoped the Queen would return for another epics battle but..... well we all know how the series took a nose dive :(
JUan Martinez

Return to Othor Games