Altering Statics and NPCs after quest completion

Post » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:53 am

Ultimately, what I'm trying to do is create a mod that restores Hlaalo Manor in a lore-friendly way (without a total makeover). After the player completes The Death of Ralen Hlaalo, his body should be removed, the maid is gone, and the upstairs furniture is straightened up. A couple added perks: some additional lighting since the place is so damn dark, and a new bottomless chest to retain the functionality of Ralen's body. This way, post-quest, the player can use the house as a player home, without the presence of a dead body and having to either kill the maid or confine her to her room, lol.

Additional details/Checklist:

• Re-position the disheveled furniture upstairs -- DONE

• Insert some additional light sources -- DONE

• Remove Ralen Hlaalo's body, post-quest; possibly insert additional dialogue from Nileno Dorvayn in the quest wrap-up referring to Balmora guards removing the body

• Remove the maid, post-quest; possibly insert additional dialogue from Nileno Dorvayn in the quest wrap-up referring to the maid procuring new employment with House Hlaalo. If the dialogue were inserted, it would need to only take place if the player hasn't already killed the maid.

• Add a new, bottomless chest to replace the functionality of Ralen's body -- PARTLY DONE

I have a few questions about the best way to implement some of the features of the mod:

• Ideally, once the player has completed the quest by talking to Nileno, Ralen's body would be removed automatically. Is this possible? If so, what are the basic methods I should to look into? The maid would also need to be removed via this method.

• An alternative for Ralen would be to just allow player-controlled removal of his corpse. However, Ralen's a "blocked" NPC. To unblock him and remove the "corpse persist", I'd need to Save the unchecked block setting. However, after watching several tutorials on YT, hitting "Save" inside dialogs seems to be bad and cause dirty edits. Or is that only with statics?

• Ideally, the upstairs furniture would remain disheveled until the quest is completed. I have no idea if this is possible, though. If so, what are the basic methods I should to look into?

• As an alternative to all the post-quest timing, I could simply tell the player to not install the mod until after the quest. The problem I anticipate is that if they have previously stored anything in the house, I expect the mod would wipe that. Either that, or since the state of the cell is already built into the save game, the mod might not work.

• To change the encumbrance of a chest (which I assume is what controls the allowed weight), you must click Save in the dialog. Does this mean I should technically create a new chest object in the left pane, to avoid a dirty edit? Also, is there a limit to what is "safe" for this value?

If anyone can provide some guidance, that would be great. I've looked at several tutorials on the TES Alliance and YT (including the ones referenced here that are still around); I've also searched this forum. So far, I haven't been able to find any similar questions.

Thanks!

Dan Scott

Return to III - Morrowind