I've never realized how much better Oblivion is over Skyrim

Post » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:09 pm

So I got Oblivion recently and I realized today how superior it was over Skyrim. It feels vastly simpler, yet complex all at the same time. Like Skyrim has perks, so you are stuck in micro-management of Skyrim's perks to decide which perk stays and which one goes away. Oblivion, you just level out each of the respective skills like Alteration or Speechcraft. Oblivion looks daunting, I'll admit. But once you understand how to level your skills, it becomes simple. This coupled by the spell crafting mechanics. definitely adds a bit of depth that is simply incredible. The level cap is also nice, especially since level 20-30 may not be the level cap, but it being classified as a high level draws attention away from it's complexity. Then there is the scenary, where Oblivion has so many colors at it's disposal right away, this doesn't seem as true with Skyrim to me. Also, I think the overall quest rewards are better. Getting lots of armor is nice, but I think I'd rather have more potent quest rewards like nocturnal's cowl and the skeleton key, which should've been a reward and not a quest item in Skyrim. Especially since the skeleton key was always a quest reward and just blows Skyrim's lore out of the water. Skyrim is nice in alot of respects though, don't get me wrong. Especially the part where mages can wear anything without suffering (not sure if Oblivion has this or not)..

Dark Mogul

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:29 am

In Oblivion you get a slight drawback on your magical effects if you wear any kind of armor, even if it′s just one piece. If you just wear regular clothes however you don′t suffer any drawback.

Glad you enjoy the game btw :)

Claire Vaux

Post » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:29 pm

*sigh* I'd hoped we'd seen the last of these "Oblivion is better than Skyrim" threads. These threads almost always divide the community. They foster unconstructive rantings, bitter feelings between players, and very often result in locked threads.

But go right ahead, if you feel this is necessary.

Len swann

Post » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:44 pm

I'm inclined to agree.

Adam Baumgartner

Return to IV - Oblivion