Timeslip exe optimizer problems and questions

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:37 pm

Almost every guide for modding morrowind and its patching recommends using Timeslip's exe optimizer.

It states in the readme:

"This is an application designed to speed up executable files by searching the file

for vectorizable fpu calculations, and converting them to sse instructions. Use of

sse allows up to four instructions to be executed in parallel, theoretically giving

massive speed increases. In practise, such vectorizable code is generally not the

performance bottleneck of an application, and replacing it may only give marginal

speed increases. AMD chips especially have good fpu performance, and replacing fpu

code with the equivalent sse code can actually cause speed drops. Patches are

benchmarked before being applied to try and prevent this from happening.

Actually, after saying all that, the main perpose of this utility now seems to be to

prevent CTDs in morrowind. Very few people seem to see significant fps increases in

any software.

It was designed for, and tested on, morrowind. Some options, such as precreated

patches, are morrowind specific, and the default options are set up to give optimal

performance in morrowind. It should work just as well on other executables, but

you might want to try experimenting with the options to try and get a larger

performance gain. The default options also give morrowind a large stability boost. "

I am pretty sure I have some AMD driver thing. Doesn't that mean I should NOT use this?

Rachel Briere

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:42 am

With modern cpu's, you "may" see minor stability improvements, but are not likely to see any speed increase, as for the utility itself, it was designed around old Intel P3 and AMD K6 cpu's, which at the time the AMD's did have superior FPU performance, all modern CPU's have vastly superior FPU performance from both companies compared to those old CPU's. Personally, I don't use the utility, as I find no clear advantage to using it, nor do I see a noticeable tangible stability improvement with it.

Kaley X

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:31 am

Thanks very muchQ!

Taylor Bakos

Return to III - Morrowind