The Orcish Language - Will it ever be expanded on?

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:26 pm

It has filled me with hope that - given the success of such languages of Dovahzul on Thuum.org - that Bethesda will attempt to expand on non-Cyrodiilic languages, especially Orcish - what is YOUR view?

Nana Samboy

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:22 pm

We could learn Orcish in Daggerfall but, if memory serves, it existed only as a game mechanic. Those were back in the days when Orcs were "creatures."

I cannot picture Bethesda creating a special language for them unless it served a purpose. I think it would have to play an integral part in the story, and probably also have an impact on gameplay, to warrant the expenditure of resources.

I think the same would apply to other languages as well.

Assumptah George

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Learning the Orcish language would make my day! :(

joannARRGH

Post » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:56 am

None of the languages in TES are really defined. Those that exist are little more than ciphers rather than true languages, swapping out words or letters without adopting any of their own grammatical characteristics and serving simple as a From-English conversion. Admitedly, that's a step above Star Wars, which pretends a repeat of the same gibberish over and over is an actual language, but still...

Personally, i'd like all the languages expanded upon. But i don't see it happening as anything more than a buy-in game feature, like in Daggerfall, where NPCs just speak gibberish until you've learned the Language. Converting a vocabulary to create a fake language is a lot of work, but creating a real language is something else entirely and typically requires professionals (Tolkien was a linguist and a rather gifted one at that, and N'avi and Orcish both has an entire team of linguists working on them).

SexyPimpAss

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:09 pm

I guess that I can dream....

Dreams of translating Malacath sermons in Orsimeris!

Tamara Primo

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:32 am

Why not just write your own Orcish language?
JAY

Post » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:16 pm

I don't have a linguistic-geared mind, but I'd be glad to join a team in making it.

But it still wouldn't be canon, however...

TIhIsmc L Griot

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion