My Oblivion CTD's after working normally ?!

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:17 am

Recently after installing Oblivion (after not playing it for years) , along with mods (nothing except UOP's , Texture mods and engine mods).

After I was done with modding I started Oblivion and the game just CTD on the Bethesda logo, however I quickly fixed the problem since it was something to do with .ini files in My Documents/My Games folder and decided not to mess with the .ini files again.

I was playing the game for hours, and after that have gone to bed. After waking up and turning on my PC and starting Oblivion the game now again CTD at the Bethesda logo , what gives ?

I'm stumped on how to fix this guys, previously I jsut removed the default_oblivion.ini (in the game directory) and oblivion.ini (in my documents directory) and the game worked normally, but now I never messed with those things and suddenly game CTD again like before.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks.

dav

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:13 am

And what do you know , the .ini's caused the crash yet again even tho I NEVER touched them after the first crashing. I really don't know what causes this and if it will happen in the future, does anyone have still any suggestions on how to prevent this ?

Thanks and sorry for wasting your time.

kevin ball

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:28 am

You never want to touch the default_oblivion.ini from the Oblivion directory. Never ever touch that because it's the template the game uses to regenerate your ini in the My Games folders. If you deleted it you need to put it back and you need to make sure it is the original file without any edits. The original should be on your install disc (or verify cache on Steam).

That way when your ini gets messes up and you delete the ini from My Games folder the game can generate a new one from the default template.
Rachel Cafferty

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:56 am

But that's the funny part , when I deleted oblivion.ini for the first time when the game was crashing , the game still crashed.

However after deleting default_oblivion.ini the game suddenly worked, and I never touched the file.

Kat Ives

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:16 am

Moving to H&S
Quick draw II

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:42 am

Well you need it for the game to work properly so you should put it back. Once you have done that we can talk about other issues like missing masters.

A crash when you start the game may also be caused by a missing master. What mod manager are you using? You should check to make sure your load order is not messed up. But first, put back the original default ini and see what happens.
Elizabeth Falvey

Return to IV - Oblivion