Westworld discussion

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:34 am

Did anyone like the new HBO show Westworld? It ended recently. I think a few weeks ago. But if you liked Fallout 4. You'll notice that it's about this company that started this western park for the extremely rich to partake in shooting synthetic persons. In fact, I've noticed some similarities to Fallout 4's Institute.

So did anyone like the show? I think my favorite characters are William and Maieve Milla. If you're a fan of the show than you'll know why I like the characters.

Liv Brown

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:28 am

At first I was intrigued, but I ended up getting bored. I hardly cared about anyone at all. If I hear it gets better, I might watch it a few seasons down the road, but I think I'm done for now.

Caroline flitcroft

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:44 am

I liked it. My favorite character? Armistice! :hubbahubba: (yes, I'm aware she's mostly just a background character)
Albert Wesker

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:33 am

I liked it very much. It is second only to Game of Thrones as my favorite current television show. I can't wait for the second season. There are so many directions they could take this idea. it has many interesting possibilities.

And my favorite character was Armistice too! :)

Far'ed K.G.h.m

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:30 am

*high-five*

Though I'm not sure she has much of a future in the series

Spoiler
given that Maive basically just used her and Hector as canon fodder :\ . I guess they can put them back together again though.

Maeva

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:52 am

To be fair, Westworld and Fallout 4 aren't the first bits of fiction to explore the moral issues surrounding artificial people and their treatment. In fact, if I were going to draw a parallel with Fallout 4, I'd probably go back to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep far before I'd make a comparison to Westworld. That's just where my mind goes, though. Everyone is different, of course.

It started losing me about half way through the season, and then I thought it got a lot better. By the end of the season I liked it. I'm one of those that doesn't need to like any of the characters to enjoy a story.

Spoiler
In the case of Westworld, my favorite "character" was probably the juxtaposition of Ford, Arnold, and Bill/William...or, more specifically, what their opposing philosophies represent. :shrug:

Did you watch the scenes after the final episode's credits roll?

Dewayne Quattlebaum

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:57 am

No!! I didn't know there were scenes at the end! Welp, looks like I will have to get Season1 on blu-ray now. Wanted to go back and watch it anyway.
LuCY sCoTT

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:40 am

It did pick up at the end, but I don't think I want to sit through another season that feels so uneven to me.

It wasn't just the people I didn't care about, but also the setting. Westerns aren't my thing and I could do with less sixual violence (I don't care if it's "clever commentary" or whatever, I'm just tired of if). I guess there were too many parts I was indifferent about for the rest to be enough to draw me in.
Shannon Lockwood

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:20 am

The thing i found was i didnt think it was about the synthetics it was more a commentary on the people who payed to go there, because unlike the movie, the people in this are more sadistic, the business man who went with the excuse of being able to anything he wanted to do to the synthetics, and walked in and just started killing everything and then getting all the prosttutes, and adding in some of the back story from futureworld the movie, where you didnt know who was synthetic.

Also i noticed when we discussed this in another thread when it was announced, i noticed that is completely separate from the movie westworld, as only the west exists and, medieval and roman world dont exist.

James Wilson

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:07 am

Not quite. There are indeed references to the movie. And there are other worlds in the show besides Westworld.

Paul Rice

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:01 am

Didn't the sixual violence taper off to almost nothing (by HBO standards) after the first two or three episodes? Maybe my brain has just adapted to filtering it out. :P

JUDY FIGHTS

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:07 am

Best thing on Television.

Hidden behind the guise of moralising over whether or not robots have feelings is a damning introspection on our own human nature... or frankly... our lack of it.

Bek Rideout

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:52 am

The whole season was about women gaining self-awareness through suffering at the hands of men.

I get that they're planning to subvert the straight male fantasy in the next season, but I can't say I enjoyed going through 10 hours of misery to get there. I wish I'd known beforehand that season 1 was nothing more than a prologue.
daniel royle

Return to Othor Games