RPG Ps offs

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:15 am

Greetings, I am working on a project and need to get some data from communities about RPG games that have some kind of feature or other that really annoyed the players/community.

What I need is a list of things that people hated about a game, if you name the game thats fine, all I need is what you hate, that a or many RPGs do in game.

please list as many that come to mind.

(example)

1: Hate how powerful monsters can spawn in areas when you are not able to combat them.

2: animals having loot on them that should not be there.

LijLuva

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:18 am

These are a few of the things that have annoyed me most in recent roleplaying games:

* A fixed character and fixed background (ala The Witcher)

* A voiced protagonist (ala The Witcher and Fallout 4)

* Linearity. I do not like games that feel "on rails." Bioware's games, for instance, often make me feel like I'm sitting on an amusemant park ride and moving past one animatronic scene after another. I want to be able to drop a questline for awhile and go off an do other things. I want to be able to ignore a main quest. I want to be able to mix-and-match different parts of different questlines to fashion my own gaming experience.

* Non open worlds. I do not like to be regularly shepherded from one "zone" of a game world to another and prevented from going back to a previous zone. I don't even like to feel pressured, as I do in Obsidian's Fallout: New Vegas, to follow a certain route the developers want me to follow. I want to be able to travel all over a game world, within reason.

* Minigames. They are jarring to me. They almost always take me out of the game world, remind me I am sitting in a chair and playing a game. They also tend to rely too much on player skill for my taste.

* Battle music. This is a bit more trivial bit it is something that gets on my nerves anyway. I am sensitive to music and I hate it when developers interrupt a piece of music in order to play a different (louder, more obnoxious) piece of music. I also think it's something of a cheat. I don't like a developer to warn me in advance the instant an enemy has spotted my character.

Hayley O'Gara

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:40 am

Class restrictions.. they annoy me I get that dungeons and dragons did it because of the party needed to be balanced for everyone...or something like. but I dont get why they continue that in a non coop rpg? Let us decide what skills we want if we end up making a weak suace jack of all trade so be it.
Kaley X

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:33 pm

Most of the stuff you mentioned I'm generally ambivalent about (which seems unusually good-natured for me!) but definitely this one: I hate battle music. In part because the whole concept seems slightly ridiculous, but largely because pretty much all of it is unpleasant, jarring and annoying. Combat isn't often my favourite part of gaming and battle music doesn't really improve my opinion of it.
Christina Trayler

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:00 am

I can understand the battle music when its just an everyday enemy, but boss battles, i can actually like the battle music for that. (more if the boss is someone i really want to kill)

Bellismydesi

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:04 am

*Set characters/Voiced Protagonist.

*Class/Race/Gender restrictions, it has always been idiotic and it still is.

*Battle Music, way to alert me in advance that there's an enemy nearby.

*Bullet sponges, if you're going to make an enemy difficult focus on having it make better strategies instead of just buffing it's health and attack. If I bring down an enemy that was actually clever I feel accomplished, if I bring one down that just has a ton of health I just feel frustrated.

*Lack of "Slice of life" things, if the only thing an RPG offers me is being a murder hobo and nothing else then I'm not going to stay interested.

Heather Stewart

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:19 am

Many points here have nothing to do with RPGs, or with genres at all, but with narration. It's also interesting seeing how many people are stuck to a single type of games (or even a single franchise), and are being "spoiled" by it. :P

One of the things I was a fan of in Skyrim was removing the class system. It gives some characters more "life span", and if the story sends my character in a completely different way, for example, I start him as a thief, but he eventually has a change of heart and becomes a paladin type class, I won't be stuck without the ability to level and make significant progress with either what that character starts with, or what he ends up to be.

Justin Bywater

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:52 am

Aw man battle music is awful! There was this awful game on the original Xbox that was based on the Battletech universe called MechAssault2. One of the boss battles played a song that was actually a "hit" for a real life band of the time. I immediately stopped playing it and turned it in along with a few other games for credit towards another game at my local Electronics Boutique. I bitterly credit this game as the one that signaled the death knell of the MechWarrior game franchise, as there hasn't been another one since.
Killer McCracken

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:55 am

humm interesting points all around.

if anyone has any examples of the examples they have, that might help me more too. ^_^

casey macmillan

Post » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:43 pm

Many great points made already that I agree with, like all of Pseron's bullets. About the battle music, my complaint is that it has become a warning. You'll be running along, doing your thing, and this battle music kicks in and you start looking around for the enemy. No surprises allowed.

I disagree with the "classes" and "restrictions" folks. I enjoy those aspects of RPGs. They help me define the character I am going to run and keeps me "on course." I'm just a weaker roleplayer than others :) That being said, I have yet to pick any of TES's ready made classes. I always create a class with the skills I want :)

As for the "on rails" vs. "open world" part, that really depends on the game being made. If it is a "story first" game (like Metal Gear Solid, SW:KotOR, Telltale Games, et al), then linearity needs to be the rule. Like a book, the story has "chapters" and if read out of order, can totally screw up a book. If it is a "player character first" kind of game (like the TES series), then choice is the rule.

[edit]

Forgot to mention loading screens. I understand the "need" to section games off into smaller parts (memory usage being a huge part), but (using Skyrim as an example) when a Dragon attacks a walled city, then flies outside the walls, it's gone. If you exit (load screen) it will more than likely be gone from the area.

Killer McCracken

Post » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:09 am

With regard to battle music, I think it's easier to list the stuff I don't hate as nearly all of it is awful. The only example I can think of offhand is a track I recall as simply being titled "Big Battle" from Ego Draconis and only then because it was deliberately quite silly, evoking overdone '60s TV drama soundtracks and wouldn't sound out of place in The Prisoner or The Saint.
TOYA toys

Return to Othor Games