No baby Dragons?

Post » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:23 pm

this question is inspired from the TV series Game of Thrones, in Season 2 there are 3 baby dragons

so the question is, why are there no baby dragons in Skyrim? ........where did they all go?

taking into account that dragons are coming back, they cant have been all advlt dragons?

is there any old Skyrim Lore that explains how dragons would have offspring, and are there any FEMALE dragons? (names)

Alessandra Botham

Post » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:51 pm

Simply put, there's no such thing as a "baby dragon" in the TES universe. Dragons are immortal creatures that seem to be the offspring or shards of Akatosh, one of the Divines (gods). That makes them more like a Daedra than an animal. They were almost certainly created fully-formed, rather than born, so I doubt they have "gender" as we understand it (and, by extension, they do not understand male and female as we do).

Dragons are coming back because the first/strongest dragon, Alduin, has returned. Alduin is capable of resurrecting or reattaching a dragon's soul to their body (provided said soul wasn't absorbed by another dragon), restoring them to life. This is why the Dovahkiin is so important to the Blades, the ancient order of Dragon Hunters. The Dovahkiin is a mortal with a dragon's soul; because of that, they're the only ones who can kill a dragon and make it stay dead.

Nims

Post » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:08 pm

Dragons are more like a god than an animal, because they've been created, rather than born.

That's why they are no baby dragons in Skyrim.

By the way, Dragonborn was a baby, So he's relate to dragon.

stevie trent

Post » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:56 pm

Dragons are shards of the Time-Dragon, shed from him after time began, with Alduin being the first and also the largest aspect. They are lesser Aedra and do not reproduce as they have always existed and are immortal. For this reason, they do not have sixes the same way mortals do. The dragons seen in Skyrim are the masculine aspects of destruction, while the feminine aspects are known as Jills, the minute-menders who repair time after it is shattered during a Dragon Break.

When something is done to disrupt time, such as the activation of Numidium causing the Warp in the West, time is broken and becomes non-linear, much like the un-times during the Dawn Era. The Jills come in and repair the timeline, making it linear again (AKA making all the endings of Daggerfall canon even if they contradicted each other). This leads to impossibilities like people being alive and dead at the same time should they have met their end during certain timelines, or to people being in two places at once. Mannimarco was one such impossibility, reaching godhood in one of the Daggerfall endings, but not in others. The effects of this can be seen in Oblivion, where Mannimarco has become his own Plane orbiting Arkay while at the same time existing as a mortal who is killed during the Mage's Guild questline.

While there are creatures known as "Dragonlings" in Daggerfall that look like baby dragons, they are mentioned to only resemble actual dragons without having any real relation.

Logan Greenwood

Post » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:47 pm

Yep :)

teeny

Post » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:34 pm

wow that's some heavy stuff ........and it looks like you know your stuff, and is learning so much, thanks

?next question what is it that makes me special & dragonborn, what really happens besides me being able to shout ...the dragon blood, the powers & am I the same as the old dragonborn or a better/lesser version & if a doctor was to do a deep medical examination would he find me to be different for the other Nords (thats my race)?

Irmacuba

Post » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:26 am

well, I expect it is because, like Alduin, you too are descended from Akatosh

Charity Hughes

Post » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:30 am

please explain more? .......By the way, Dragonborn was a baby, So he's relate to dragon.

JLG

Post » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:45 pm

that makes scene

just a note .....my understanding of Skyrim lore is zero, is a newbie ........was to bizzy killing things for the last 5 years, that she has not had time to read the books, but the subject fascinates this one and would like to know more about who I am

Lindsay Dunn

Post » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:15 am

you're welcome! I'd personally hate to be Akatosh's first born (for I am Malacath's)

Katie Louise Ingram

Post » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:59 am

Being Dragonborn is a gift from Akatosh more than anything else. It can be passed down genetically, but considering how Alessia's bloodline had diverged by the time of the Septims (Tiber Septim wasn't even related to her in the first place) it's clearly more a case of Akatosh passing it down more than anything. Dragonborns aren't descended from him like Dragons are, they're just blessed with Dragon-like souls and powers.
Blessed DIVA

Post » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:33 pm

The Dragonborn is a mortal with the soul of a dragon. Dragonborn obviously have some sort of physical differences to them, as the contraption in the Akaviri temple responds specifically to your actual blood. I would say it has to do with the way the soul interacts with the body, perhaps giving it a few differing magical properties from normal. If the blood of mortals has any properties that can be used in the creation of a potion, the blood of a dragonborn is probably quite different. An interesting concept is how a theoretical blood transfusion would work, what the blood type of a dragonborn might be compared to other mortals.

In having the soul of a dragon, dragonborn typically have the disposition of a dragon, such as the indomitable want to dominate and conquer, which is why the Dragonborn were the perfect candidates to rule the empire. At least one of the people (maybe more) behind Tiber Septim was dragonborn, and conquered the entire continent using Numidium, uniting it into the empire.

Having a dragon soul also allows the dragonborn to absorb and permanently kill any other dragons, which is why they are so feared by dragons. When killed by conventional means, a dragon's soul lies dormant within its body, which is why Alduin was able to revive those killed in the Dragon War. Once their soul is devoured, they are fully gone and dead. Strangely, fellow dragonborn can be met in Sovngarde, implying the soul of a dragonborn does not stay within the body after death, perhaps a side-effect from having the body of a mortal rather than a dragon.

Dragons, and by extension dragonborn, also have an inherent ability to shout and to absorb such knowledge. A normal mortal might take a decade to learn all three words of one shout, while a dragonborn can learn it in an instant, absorbing the understanding after consuming the souls of their brethren. It's not enough to just simply know the words of power; to learn a shout is to take the understanding of the words into oneself. This is why Arngeir was wary of the player learning Dragonrend, as it was created from the old Tongues' immense hatred of the dragons.

Shouting, or the Thu'um, is a form of tonal architecture, a method of bending reality by manipulating the Earth Bones. The Earth Bones are the remains of countless Aedra that died to make Mundus, the mortal realm, sort of acting as the laws of physics for that realm. So when a dragon says Yol!, or Fire!, it is literally commanding that the universe bend to its will and create fire. The quantum mechanics of Mundus is kind of a song, played on the Doom Drum, and tonal architecture taps into this and changes the beat.

Martin Septim, from Oblivion, was also a dragonborn, and the Amulet of Kings is a massive soulgem containing the dragon souls of all the past dragonborn emperors. When Martin smashed the amulet to battle Mehrunes Dagon, he absorbed dozens of dragon souls at once and transformed into the Avatar of Akatosh.

Lyd

Post » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:22 pm

Where did that bit come from? It was my understanding that the Amulet of Kings was an artifact of Akotosh, not a big-[censored] soulgem. Besides, I don't think shattering a soulgem releases trapped souls like that. If that were the case, Azura's Star would've naturally evicted itself of Malyn Varen's soul when it broke, thus us not needing to repair it/corruping it for Azura/Nelacar.

ANaIs GRelot

Post » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:33 pm

The Amulet of Kings was originally an Ayleid artifact, and became a thing of Akatosh when Alessia formed a covenant with him on her deathbed, in doing so becoming the first Dragonborn Emperor.

The Amulet of Kings is stated to contain the combined oversoul of the emperors in http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Where_Were_You_When_the_Dragon_Broke%3F.

Not entirely sure of a definite source on the smashing bit releasing the souls, but it wasn't a normal soul gem, so it could easily have different rules. In Daggerfall, when enchanted items broke, you would sometimes be attacked by the angry spirit that was formerly trapped inside, so it's not a real stretch that the same might work for soul gems themselves in some situations.

It's an idea I've seen spread around so much, it's just sort of become accepted, though it might just be a bit of monkeytruth over 100% established lore in actuality. But smashing the Amulet caused Martin to mantle Akatosh, and the Amulet contained dragon souls which would have been absorbed by Martin had the smashing released them, so I suppose that part just sort of fills itself in.

Tai Scott

Post » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:05 am

I don't think Malyn put his soul inside Azura's Star before it broke. I was under the impression he had to break it for it to serve his purposes. So even if it would have released the souls trapped inside of it upon breaking, it wouldn't have released Malyn's because his wasn't in it yet.

Amanda Leis

Post » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:54 pm

QUOTE POST # 12 Shouting, or the Thu'um, is a form of tonal architecture, a method of bending reality by manipulating the Earth Bones. The Earth Bones are the remains of countless Aedra that died to make Mundus, the mortal realm, sort of acting as the laws of physics for that realm. So when a dragon says Yol!, or Fire!, it is literally commanding that the universe bend to its will and create fire. The quantum mechanics of Mundus is kind of a song, played on the Doom Drum, and tonal architecture taps into this and changes the beat.

now if your into metaphysics or stuff like that the above makes a lot of seance and dose explain a lot

Vicki Gunn

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion