TES Spin-Off Possibilities

Post » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:57 pm

I've even thought of a great time period for any potential spin-off to take place -- the great 1008 year long Dragon Break of the 16th Century of the First Era. So much of that time is such a huge mystery that pretty much anything could happen, up to and including even the freakin' Dwemer coming back. It would be insane.

BEl J

Post » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:47 pm

That is amazing. Just had to say.

Farrah Lee

Post » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:51 am

I've said it before on these forums and I'll say it again: I would adore an RTS game set in the TES universe. Perhaps 1st era with the battle of Red Mountain or Reman Cyrodiil's campaigns.
Adam Porter

Post » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:56 am

Divinity original sin....but with the elder scrolls....(drops mic and walks off stage)
leni

Post » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Okay, so a couple of months back when I was new here I posted a couple of threads about possible spin-off games for the Elder Scrolls franchise, which have since died. Now, on forums I've been to in the past, bumping old, dead threads was considered bad form so forgive me if things are done differently here. But this time I'll make this thread not dedicated to one specific game genre, but open to multiple ideas.

So basically as I see it there are two main categories of potential spin-offs: 'lore-friendly' and 'joke'.

Lore-friendly potential-spin-offs are things I could actually see Bethesda doing. These include:

1. A point-and-click Tell-Tale-equse adventure game, maybe as a revival of the cancelled games Eye of Argonia and Paradise Sugar.

2. Either a Real-Time or 4X strategy game, although RTS seems a better fit for the world of Elder Scrolls in my opinion.

3. A procedural-generated dungeon crawler, which could be a great throwback to the crazy huge dungeons of the older main-series games, particularly since the newer games sacrifice dungeon size and randomness for other features.

4. Moving away from electronic gaming and into the real world, a table-top RPG along the lines of Dungeons and Dragons or Pathfinder could be an interesting alternative.

Joke spin-offs are the ideas more likely to be announced as April fools jokes, or at least be non-cannon, but are still fun to consider. These, suggested by various participants on the old thread, include:

1. A Street-Fighter-equse fighting game, pitting famous heroes and villains of Nirn against one another. Suggested by Raderofthelostark.

2. A racing game in the style of Mario Kart or Twisted Metal, with tracks based on various Elder Scrolls locations. Suggested by Sch.

3. A 16-bit JRPG based around the adventures of Nerevar and his pals during the first era. Also suggested by Sch.

So, any opinions on how to expand on any of these potential spin-offs? Perhaps additional genres the world of Elder Scrolls could experiment with? I look forward to what you have to come up with!

Hella Beast

Post » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:35 am

Anything is fine with me as long as Bethesda/Zenimax subcontracts the development to other studios.

Amy Masters

Post » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:26 am

The fact there aren't setting books for tabletop roleplaying systems already seems baffling. The entire series is based off of tabletop roleplaying sessions and has grown into such a unique blend of lore and settings that it just makes sense. Daggerfall, Redguard, and Morrowind even had associated tabletop miniatures to use for your own adventures or just decoration. It's not like other fantasy series don't do it, and considering how well, for example, Star Wars does with its miniature games and campaign books it just feels like TES would fit really nicely into that groove.

Since you also mentioned strategy games, I'll add TES is probably a really good pick for a turn-based strategy RPG. A game like Fire Emblem or X-COM focusing on individual heroes/foes instead of faceless masses using TES classes, historical figures, and the leveling structure could become a very unique entry into the series. There are certainly several wars throughout Tamirel's history that could have very interesting stories. Just tossing one setting out there, it'd be very cool to see how other provinces handled the Oblivion crisis in a game like that.

Justin Hankins

Post » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:16 am

Your last thread was active 1 month ago. That is not the definition of a dead thread.

I have merged your two threads together.

An Lor

Previous

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion