A beginner in need !

Post » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:19 am

Hello fellow Dragonborn brothers and sisters, i recently started the game, about 2-3 days ago to be accurate, i play on PC, and to see what the games is reserving to me i used cheat codes to quickly progress in the game and when i felt that i can play it WITHOUT ANY CHEATS i just started a new game. But i have to say that, as a beginner, this massive free world and the options it offers overwhelms me, like i don't know what to do to be honest, i was happy to see that this forum is still actif so i decided to ask you for your help.

What i actually need is answers to my questions :

I want to play the game without using the commands, and have the most fun in it since im also a roleplay fan, but when it comes to leveling, there are ways to quickly levelup a skill without cheat, but when you do that i read somewhere that NPCs lvlup with you and you will have a tough time, so WHEN is the PERFECT moment to quickly level up your character and will power boost affect, your progression and how, what are some of the best ways to farm gold early on, i want some tips every player should know before doing an action that negates them, and what are the most fun builds to play, i'd like to point out that im not a [censored] using bows and magic, i'm an Orc. And my most important question is, i don't want to finish the main questline directly, i'll pause it after completing my Fus Ro Dah shout, then i'll start doing the faction questlines and playing DLCs so what are the best, longest and most fun questlines offered by factions i can play. Thanks for reading i know i wrote a lot, and i'd like to have answers soon, have a great time in Tamriel !

BrEezy Baby

Post » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:12 am

I always start with companions, it's not a cheat (more of an exploit) but you can get your money back from training with them. Leveling skills you dont use or don't help you in combat is what makes you be a high level with a glass jaw and/ or a weak punch. This can happen with companions but all of them are fighters so there's not much danger of leveling useless skills unless you do both 2 handed and one handed which i do anyway but i can handle it. Or if you train in heavy armor with companions but only use light armor that can contribute to this problem you mention. No matter when you do it I find it gives me more of a problem mid game but isn't enough to stop me from doing it. Some enemies are tough no matter what level you are or what you've done.

For gold: alchemy is the best followed by enchanting. The potion slow Slow and I think damage magika regen are good potions to make for money. Enchanting banish and absorb health are the best things to put on weapons but you may not get them until later unless you're lucky. Paralyze too but that almost definitely comes later.

Must do questlines for me are companions, mages college (once you're good at making money you can train magic after exhausting free companions warrior training), now I'm doing dawngaurd, theives or assassins guild are significant too. Otherwise I seek out deadric artifacts pretty much on my own and dragon shouts. Main quest is fine. I'm not in love with maxing fus do rah as I just want to stun them not ragdoll them which has a longer recovery before I can use again and I have to chase down this enemy that you flung across the map so i dont rush to max it out.

Victoria Bartel

Post » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi, welcome.

-About leveling: The problem in leveling up too fast using minor skills is that your main sources of damage will get behind your enemies′ hp and armor/magic resist. Other than that, as long as you do a little of each thing in the appropriate times (block/bash a little, sneak attack with bow using muffle sometimes, burn some skeevers, sell loot, make 10 daggers and 10 useful potions everytime you go back to cities, walk around in alteration armor, soul trap things, etc) you′ll get levels like crazy until about level 20.

So plan your "base" build according to this -

1-focus on your main source of damage until you can, for example, increase the damage of weapons by 40% and reduce the stamina of powerattacks at lvl 20 (3 perks), or reach lvl 40 of destruction for Impact (5-7 perks) which takes a lot of work and a lot of glowing mushrooms and nightshade for potions

2-focus on your main source of defense, saving some points for when a couple of perks become available at once (block lvl 30 - 5 perks, semi-alteration level 30 - 3 perks, full-alteration level 30 - 5 perks, heavy armor level 30 - 4 perks, light armor lvl 30 - 3 perks)

3-focus on your style, the thing that will make your warrior/thief/mage special, such as smithing/restoration, Smithing/enchanting, Alchemy/sneak, sneak/illusion, full destruction, full conjuration, full illusion

while you keep these 3 thing in check and maxed, you can level up as fast as you wish.

-Regarding quests, if you′re a warrior, you′ll want to do the Companions′ quests. Apart from that, you can really keep selecting different quests in your journal and then checking the map to see what can be done around you, and then move. idk be creative, I think the most fun is to do things according to what you think that person that you′re playing would do.

Brandon Bernardi

Post » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:23 am

Hello, and welcome! Here is a complimentary http://images.uesp.net/c/c4/Fishystick.jpg :)

Leveling:

All you need to worry about is keeping your main skills in balance. As long as your Offensive and Defensive skills stay towards the top (most advanced), you have no worries. What happens to many players, is they find a "leveling cheat" and exploit it. Iron Daggers was one such exploit (since fixed) that allowed rapid Smithing skill progression. That's not bad in and of itself, but when those players then went out into the wilds, that smithing exploit made their main offensive and defensive lacking. This can also happen (with smithing) if you build a Hearthfires Home :)

As far as "when", I sually wait on my non-combat skills (smithing, alchemy, enchanting, speech, etc) until mid game (about level 15-30). but each player finds their own "comfy zone" :)

The biggest tip I tell EVERY new player is this: Save Often! Make a hard save every road intersection and quicksave after every succesful fight. You can't save often enough as Skyrim will crash, freeze, or lock up :)

Cedric Pearson

Post » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:50 am

If you want a safe way to make money without risking leveling up, get a woodcutter's axe, and start chopping wood. Spend a couple hours doing that (tedious as all get out, but can be slightly expedited by making a follower do it instead) and you can get a couple thousand septims to your name so you can buy a house so you can store things and the like.

GLOW...

Post » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:10 am

It sort of depends on if you're doing everything with one character or if you're specializing. I'm going through the game again as a Nord warrior (main quest, Companions), Dark Elf assassin (Dark Brotherhood), Breton mage (College of Winterhold) and Redguard thief/ranger (Thieves Guild). Going this route, you can simply select quests that fit your archetype and ignore any you pick up that don't fit with your character. As a general rule, it's wise to focus on the faction that best compliments your character archetype first and then move on to the main quest and DLC, primarely because you pick up unique "class specific" weapons and armor that compliment your playstyle (weapons and shields for warriors, stealthy armor for thieves/assassins, powerful magic robes and rings for mages, etc.)

Sarah Knight

Return to V - Skyrim