Is LGNPC worth using?

Post » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:52 pm

Hey all

In all my years of Morrowinding I've never used any of the LGNPC packages, and I was wondering if it's worth playing.

I'm sure it's a wonderful mod, but I've got 2 things that I'm wondering about:

How does the immersion feel if some towns don't have the extremely immersive dialogue and misc quests from LGNPC. For instance, Balmora has not (yet) been covered.

Is it worth having LGNPC with all the quests that might conflict with other mods? There is a dialogue only mod for some of the LGNPC-suites which might be more interesting?

Dale Johnson

Post » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:35 pm

For myself, the biggest benefit is not having to fight cliff racers every few minutes, and, that when walking in a populated area I am not bombarded by countless comments for everyone I pass by. To each their own.

Laura

Post » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:08 pm

This :)

Kirsty Collins

Post » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:49 pm

I've always used them. They are essential installs for me.

They fit so well into the game that it's it's easy to forget what is vanilla and what has been added.

The fact that some towns don't have LGNPC doesn't detract from the quality of the mods.

I've never encountered any mod conflicts, but if you use Mlox I'm sure it will point out any that have been found.

Does LGNPC even affect either of those things? Cliffracers and vocal greetings?

Taylrea Teodor

Post » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm

The LGNPC project does not address the cliff racer harassment issue nor does it affect the frequency of idle greetings from NPCs. If those are of paramount concern then it is pretty difficult to justify using LGNPC mods.

It is impossible to decide for another player if it is worthwhile to include LGNPC mods in their game. Some players interact sparingly with NPCs - only speaking with them to get quest-related information or directions to a person or location in a town (information that most experience players already know). For such players, there is little value in using LGNPC mods. In a LGNPC town, different NPCs have a unique response on local topics such as 'services' and 'someone in particular', but it is essentially the same information that Bethesda provided. It is true that most LGNPC mods add some new quests to explore, but some players might find it tedious searching different dialogue topics in the hope of stumbling into a quest to perform - particularly when the majority of NPCs won't have a quest to offer.

Because of the scope of the project, mod conflicts may be a real concern. Happily, the dialogue-only versions of LGNPC mods virtually eliminate that risk, but at the expense of offering any quests. Once again, we return to the question "is it worth it?"

I suspect most users of LGNPC mods just have them simmering in the background on the off-chance that they might like to learn more about an NPC. Ever wonder how Fargoth and Arrille came to be friends, how the outlander Neminda came to hold such a position of responsibility in House Redoran, or why Jobasha came to settle in Vvardenfell? Those stories are a reward to players who value such things. Is it immersion-breaking to visit a non-LGNPC town? Maybe, but perhaps no more than playing Morrowind without LGNPC mods since each NPC in a town has the same response on several local topics.

Samantha Mitchell

Return to III - Morrowind