PS4 - finally getting external HDD support.

Post » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:05 pm

About damn time too. I have plenty of externals, but internals I buy as needed. I was ready to buy a new 2TB or a 4 TB DB, now I won't need to.

This makes digital downloads more appealing since space won't be as big of an issue, and you can take them with you with ease if you have to switch consoles for whatever reason.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/03/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-features-detailed/

Also custom wallpaper. Finally.
Trista Jim

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:36 am

And now maybe they'll loosen up regarding mod restrictions on their platform for our PS4-based brothers and sisters.

lucile

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:14 am

Doubt it. Mod restrictions have nothing to do with available HDD space.

It's a topic nobody ever wants to discuss anymore, anywhere. It's shunned on Sony forums, it's shunned on Bethesda forums, it's ridiculed on Facebook, Twitter, etc....pretty much the community unity effort needed to force these companies to do something better, isn't there. Those who aren't affected are tired of hearing about it, and those that are affected are getting tired of fighting.

kat no x

Post » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:37 pm

And in addition to that, I don't see Sony changing their mind on this. For a while it was no mods at all. It's fortunate to get this far.
Chase McAbee

Post » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:20 pm

I guess I welcome external HDD support, I have a 1 TB PS4 and even with the games on it I have about 600 GB remaining. I don't regret buying the PS4 Pro ^_^.

emily grieve

Post » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:20 pm

External HDDs are something I know almost nothing about. From what I've read in this thread, I'm guessing that they are supported in the Xbox? I'm kinda surprised the PS4 didn't have it if the Xbox does.

Sarah Unwin

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:02 am

I know the Xbox 360 supported external HDD and the WII U it was mandatory. I'm glad Sony decided to say "Hey maybe if we allow our customers to use external HDD then they'll buy more games."

Then another guy at Sony says:

"Well we can't have them using any other brand of HDD so we'll make the PS4 and PS4 Pro only accept external HDD that only we at Sony make".

Then Sony's boss look at the second guy and says:

"I like that idea"

Then another Sony Employee says.

"Hey what if we make the External HDD only 1 or 2 TB and sell at prices of $199.00 or more".

Then people in this forum started to hate me....

:P

Del Arte

Post » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:05 pm

This is exactly what Sony wanted you to do.

This has probably been planned since launch as both Microsoft and Sony seek to ape Apple's success in drip feeding products and tech.

It's rare you see a decent sale on the Microsoft Store but then they've allowed you External Storage for ages so they don't want to bring prices down.

Sony often have good deals on but this has been to fill people's hard drives up so that the prospect of shelling out extra cash for a PS4 Pro doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

Glad they've finally shifted enough Pro units that they finally feel they can release this "patch" that they've been sat on since day 1 to allow PS4 users to add external HD support.

They'll have the Playstation Prime out just in time for Christmas with it's 268 Wiggaflops of S Club 7 Ram and the feeding tube and porta-potty so you never have to turn it off.

x_JeNnY_x

Post » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Yes, external HDDs have been supported on Xbox One as long as I can remember (though I lost interest around the launch period and only bought one in 2015).

It's a mixed blessing. Store loads of stuff = Great. Some games runs like poo when run from the external = Really not great. At all.

Plus, having too much stuff on it makes your console run slower. The Xbox One does a lot of background processing and nosing around even when it's not wanted, so it repeatedly looks through all of your stuff even when you're not using it. This becomes VERY apparent at times, but is generally unnoticed by more casual gamers and is left unsaid by MS themselves. Plausible deniability being their best friend here.

ijohnnny

Post » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:43 pm

But isn't this what every successful business since the dawn of civilization has done, finding ways to make customers come back?

I'm not saying it's ethical, I'm just saying that this is nothing new.
Kieren Thomson

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:08 am

At least with the external, transfering games back and forth won't be as big of a deal as downloading them. I will probably store all my smaller games on the external, and leave the actual HDD for the larger and more intense games (especially multiplayer oriented).

AFAIK, any brand external HDD should be compatible, so long as it has a 3.0 USB. Whether or not it'll need to be formated before being attached to the PS4, I don't know. I remember with the PS3, you had to convert the format using a PC before using it. Was a PITA.

saxon

Post » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Feeding Tube...Porta-Potty!!!! Never again will I have to get up to feed myself and take care of nature's call. SOLD....{throws money at screen}.

SexyPimpAss

Post » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:34 am

Nice! I was just recently installing Bloodborne and it told me that my PS's full. Had to delete some demos that I kinda didn't want to delete, even though it's stupid to keep them. :P

Natalie Harvey

Return to Othor Games