Artificial Level Raising [PC Console Commands]

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:20 pm

I want to do some intensive mod testing to find out which one is giving me troubles mid to end game. I know that some console commands can give headaches later on. Is adding levels one of these troublesome commands? I can play "legally" to about level 30, but I'd rather console command it and then start to add my gameplay changing mods to see if I can recreate my glitches.

If it is not one of those commands, would it be better to raise by single level increments, all at once, or somewhere in between?

I hope this is the right area and not the Mods section...

Thanks for any info :)

jasminĪµ

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:25 pm

I always find it best to just use a mod that allows you to level up instantly/fast.

That way you get "true" level-ups based on xp, not a by "hacking." (if you know what I mean.)

For example, the mod that places the 10000x Exp ring in Riverwood, along with a big supply of Oghma Infinium books.

Benito Martinez

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:13 pm

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:ConsoleHave a look at the following commands:

AdvLevel

incPCS

setAV

setLevel

Example of the syntax to use on your character:

player.advlevel

player.incpcs marksman

player.setav marksman 300

player.setlevel 100

danni Marchant

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Thanks! Since I've never looked for mods like these, I'll look into them now. I'd rather "go through the motions" of leveling, at least :)

Yes, the commands I know about. It's just that I've heard when one uses the console commands to "cheat" (like add items, or advance quests, etc), there may be far reaching troubles not immediately seen. Thanks, though :)

Gracie Dugdale

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:28 pm

No, not if the goal is just increasing your characters level. Both setlevel and advlevel work just fine for that, and the game won't know the difference. If your goal is also to rack up a bunch of XP, perk points, and fake skill and stat gains to approximate what you would be at that higher level then other methods might be the better choice, simply because all that can get a bit complicated if done through the console.

Note - adding items is usually not a problem unless it involves a quest item that's normally obtained through dialog with an NPC, because there's usually a player inventory check for that item that goes along with the quest. Adding those items early or out of order can nerf the quest and the NPCs dialog. Most other quest item "pickups" from a location involve a scripted "item dispenser" object that you have to physically activate to trigger the "item obtained" quest objective, so the quest won't know if you add 50 of those through the console because it's not meant to care. One example is Dawnbreaker.. only clicking on the pedestal at that location will advance the quest. All other regular and common items are safe to add at any time.

Claudz

Post » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:56 am

Only if you save after using the console commands. Backup your saves, test out your mod and then when done, bring back in your backup saves. Or exit the game entirely and then launch it again for an extra safety measure against the console commands.

megan gleeson

Post » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks again, Bonedog and schmoe :)

I'm now having Nexus Mod Manager troubles. It's not installing mods like it should. More troubleshooting ahead (though not for this thread) :D

Kayla Bee

Return to V - Skyrim